Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > MBP's Place of Random Things That Pop into My Brain

My actual thoughts. I could care less if you disagree. I welcome feedback; except from the stupid. Go away.
May contain things you don't want to hear or don't care about. Once again, I could care less. The opinions are mine and do not reflect anything, except that I might be an ass to some people.
Rate this Entry

Another open letter to users of getDare.com

Posted 09-07-2011 at 05:05 PM by Manbearpig

To every member of getDare.com,

Recently, my tactics as a moderator have come under fire from many users. This includes me being strict, creepy, all-knowing, spying on users, rude, mean, and slow responding. While some of these may be true, let me explain my ways. I have been on this site for 5 years. I love this site. I have been a moderator for the past few years. I love being able to help the users of getDare. I have seen this site under-moderated and over-moderated. Some might consider me to being a reason for the latter. I try my best to be the best I can possibly be. I do not wish to be in everyone's business. However, I do wish to make sure the site doesn't turn into a site of pure garbage, with arguments happening in each and every thread. I have taken the lounge to being sort of my home; therefore, I might moderate it more than I should. I acknowledge that. I am also a stickler about the Dare Slave room. While I am not a big user of that room, when arguments go off topic in there, you deprive two sets of people. You deprive people in there who are seriously looking for a slave or master, and you are depriving the people in the lounge, who only have 3 or 4 other users to talk, one of which is myself (who wants to talk to me?).

To continue, many people are pissed and my pissy, rude, sarcastic attitude. You must understand that I too am a person. Many of my mannerisms in real life carry over to this website. I am not going to pretend I am someone else because, quite frankly, I wouldn't know who to be.

There are many great users on this website: Depp, Rachie, Sweet, Leo, Stellz, Angel, Nelly, BettyBoop, and countless more, some of whom are no longer on this site. Some of these people I would consider friends if I knew them in real life. There are also countless more people that have either made me laugh or smile when I have needed it most. Then of course, there are the users who have ruined the experience for me at times. If you feel that I am one of these users who ruins the site for you, I am more than willing to listen. However, you must note, that if you want me to listen, you have to be considerate. You have to think of a well rounded argument. If you catch me on a bad day and send me something like, "Going to ignore this and leave the infraction on because you don't like the facts?" you might get a sarcastic and rude private message that just says "Yep."

I was always taught that to get respect you must demand respect. I recently received an email from a user who I recently banned and he sent me a well rounded and polite private message about how I had unfairly banned him and politely asked me to reconsider my decision. Because he took the time out his life to do such a thing I felt I had no choice. Sending a PM or email that goes along the lines of "Why did you ban me you fucking asshole?????" will get you nowhere.

The final thing I wish to say is that I too am a human being. I make mistakes, and I know that. I know that all to well, whether it be here or in my real life. So if I had made a decision that really was unjust (that doesn't include anything in a blog post earlier today) and unfair, I'm sorry.

Have a nice day

Manbearpig
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3482 Comments 15
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 15

Comments

1. Old Comment
    A lot of people wants to talk to you in the chat

And maybe some members do not respect you being a mod is because of your rudeness or what ever. Remember, you don't have to be rude or send mean things or mean sarcastic things and what ever else when you mod. If you do, then one can assume you don't really like to be a moderator. Same thing with a job. If you you always have a bad attitude or what not, then that means you don't like your job.

Idk just my two cents.
  2. Old Comment
    I'm sure there are users (including mods - who are users of the site afterall) who piss each other off from time to time. That is life - we don't like everybody and everybody doesn't like us.

Overall, the mods exercise their authority extremely well and to a remarkable job - especially as it is voluntary and they put a lot of time into it. The most important work they do is not visible to others but is greatly appreciated by the recipients.

So keep up the good work you guys!!

Oh, and please don't stop with the "sarcastic" comments in the ban list - reading these makes my day
  3. Old Comment
    I'm still fond of you no matter what people say...

4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loke View Comment

And maybe some members do not respect you being a mod is because of your rudeness or what ever. Remember, you don't have to be rude or send mean things or mean sarcastic things and what ever else when you mod. If you do, then one can assume you don't really like to be a moderator. Same thing with a job. If you you always have a bad attitude or what not, then that means you don't like your job.

Idk just my two cents.
    Thanks for the two cents. I don't agree at all, but that is your opinion.

And what do you mean "I want to people want to talk to me.." Do people wish ill upon me?
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Comment

And what do you mean "I want to people want to talk to me.." Do people wish ill upon me?
    Was that to me? Cause I don't think I said that.
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loke View Comment
    Yes that was you Loke.
  7. Old Comment
    mbp you and i may have had rough beginnings and all but you are seriously one of the most epic mods here haha xD (no offense to anyone else!)
  8. Old Comment
    Hey, I think you're doing a fine job, considering the fact that you are volunteering to do the mod job in your spare time. You don't have to care and/or bother. I don't think you need to explain yourself to anyone. If other people don't like the way this site is run, then they can just leave.
    Blondie
    Posted 09-08-2011 at 01:01 AM by CollaredBlondie CollaredBlondie is offline
  9. Old Comment
    I love your sarcastic attitude, people shouldn't complain about it. If they have an issue with it, they need to relax and stop taking things so seriously. You do an awesome job as an active mod while still being yourself.

<3
  10. Old Comment
    Oh I have no intentions of changing my ways. I feel however that people needed to know that
  11. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stellz View Comment
    I love your sarcastic attitude, people shouldn't complain about it. If they have an issue with it, they need to relax and stop taking things so seriously. You do an awesome job as an active mod while still being yourself.

<3
    This exactly. You are an awesome guy and an awesome mod, people just dont like it when they get told off. Your sarcasm made me happy Dont ever change
    Updated 09-08-2011 at 09:08 AM by Star Shadows
  12. Old Comment
    I think this blog goes a little further than most...

As a bit of a computer and gaming fan, I'm constantly using forums and, inevitably, end up spending quite a bit of time watching the actions of the "moderators" and other staff that run the site. Certain types of people will always look down on moderators the same way certain types of people will think of the police as "the enemy." People will hold a grudge against you, solely because you punished them and they can't understand why you took it so seriously. If you do something wrong, you should recieve the appropriate punishment so I don't really understand the concept of "over-moderating" .... I'd just call it "doing your job."

Anyway, not once in all my time using forums like this, or even within online games, have I ever come across a moderator that's taken the time to explain, carefully, why he acts the way he does. I think you deserve a heck load of respect for this, especially for honestly pointing out the few arguments that would have been true.

As for people that tend to retaliate your "job" with "Why did you ban me you fucking asshole?????" these tend to be the same people that like to spend their time trolling, spamming, arguing and generally making everyone else's time on the site less than perfect. They don't really deserve to be here in the first place...
  13. Old Comment
    The problem is that sarcasm is hard to portray in written text online. But it's quite obvious when you're being sarcastic and dry and funny, and it's great. F*ck da h8rs... as they say. Or something
    Posted 09-08-2011 at 12:29 PM by Slenderman - Doctor Slenderman - Doctor is offline
  14. Old Comment
    If I knew you in real life, I would hug you then get you drunk.

Just my ways...
  15. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LilAngel View Comment
    If I knew you in real life, I would hug you then get you drunk.

Just my ways...
    A drunk MBP is a fun MBP (until the next morning)