Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > MBP's Place of Random Things That Pop into My Brain

My actual thoughts. I could care less if you disagree. I welcome feedback; except from the stupid. Go away.
May contain things you don't want to hear or don't care about. Once again, I could care less. The opinions are mine and do not reflect anything, except that I might be an ass to some people.
Rate this Entry

Christmas Eve

Posted 12-24-2010 at 10:20 PM by Manbearpig

First off everyone, Merry Christmas! As I start this post, it is 10:45 PM on Christmas Eve. But, by the time most read this, it will either be Christmas Day or the 26th. Regardless. I am going to state an opinion about the Christmas holiday that rings true for me. If you disagree with me that is fine. However, just know that my opinion, cannot be changed at the moment. Maybe, someday something will happen to change it. However, in my 20 years of life, it has rang true EVERY year.

The Christmas season, for most people who celebrate the holiday, is a magical time. Sure there might be stress added on due to gift buying, the weather or whatnot, but, like I said, for the most part a magical season. Christmas specials, time with loved ones, and just an overall magical feeling. However, maybe like some other people, I find this peak of magical feelings happens on Christmas Eve, not Day. Let me explain. I find Christmas Eve far more magical and joyous than Christmas Day. You might be thinking, "Manbearpig, you no good for nothing mod." And after reading what I just wrote, you might be thinking, "Manbearpig, you no good for nothing mod who hates Christmas, how could you?!!" Well...let me give some examples of why I think this.

For many Christians, Christmas is about going to Church. Some call it magical. Well, let me go on the record for saying as long as I can remember, I have never been to Church on Christmas Day. Yes, I said it. I have never been to Church on Christmas Day. I have always gone on Christmas Eve. Throughout the years, the times and venues have changed. But one thing hasn't. How magical it is. One year, we sat with my cousin and we just made jokes the entire mass. Bad of me? Probably, since I was alter servering with one. Sue me. I had a lot of fun that day and a great family bonding experience. That is just one example. Also, that is my only good example of Church. Regardless, there is my first reason.

A second reason is family get togethers. Sure, we have family get togethers on Christmas Day. However, they are usually filled with bad food, and multiple family members who don't show up for various reasons. This makes for cranky people and that doesn't make me happy. I want happy people. On Christmas Eve, we all have family parties. These are much happier. Usually there is drunk relatives who tell crazy stories. There are people my age. It is fun and festive. We see pretty lights. There are no preparations at my house since it isn't at our our house. Sure, the food isn't always terrific (better this year though), but regardless, it is that much more happier. I will take that.

Then there are Christmas songs/movies. We prepared for Santa on....Christmas Eve. My favorite Christmas song, Same 'Ol Lang Syne (while a tad depressing, absolutely marvelous) takes place on....Christmas Eve. The best parts of The Santa Clause take place on....Christmas Eve. I could go on and on but I have one last reason.

Finally, there is what happened tonight. Some of you might know that I was a runner in high school. One of my favorite things to do is run in the snow at night during Christmas time (but it has to be before Christmas Day). Well usually, the previously mentioned Christmas Eve party would be held in the evening or at night. This year, due to family circumstances, it was held in the afternoon. After initially being furious about it, I went along. I wasn't overly pleased, but whatever. Anyways, we get back from the party and go to Church. We get out and I noticed the steady snow that had been falling all day was sticking a little more due to nightfall. The plows were out handling the main roads. The sidestreets, the streets with all the houses that I live in, had not yet been plowed. And it was still snowing. So I put on a pair of sweatpants, a hat and a hoodie and my running shows and went for an unbelievable run. It was something that I experienced only once before...and that time was a life changing experience. This too was a life changing experience simply because of the date on which this occured. Christmas Eve.

Could it have been as special if it had happened on Christmas Day? Maybe, but I highly doubt it. Christmas Day night can sometimes be a tad depressing. At that point, you realize that Christmas is over. Sure there is still New Years, but Christmas is a billion times better. Christmas Eve you get to look forward to the date tomorrow, where you get to feel like a little kid or when you think back to the time when you were 7 and found the toy you wanted under the tree and thinking, "How did Santa know?" That might be the one thing Christmas Day has on Christmas Eve. But, as you grow older, those feelings go away. You sometimes see them weeks in advance, mainly because you picked it out. You stop believing. But Christmas Eve night, when you go to bed, you get that feeling like you were a little kid...maybe Santa will come tonight...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One final note. This is unrelated to just about everything I mentioned so far except for one sentence. Thank you for your continued support of getDare.com. It really makes me happy to be with such awesome people for 4 and a half years. While some have come and gone, it is still special to get to know you all. I want to leave you with a video for Same Old Lang Syne. You might not like it, but oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NmdFgFyhnk

Merry Christmas everyone!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 844 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments