Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Lokelake's I don't know

Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.

Finally I think

Posted 07-25-2010 at 08:26 AM by lokelake

I think I made up my mind of what I want to go to college for... become a Philosophy Professor.

Maybe I will go back to Meteorology after I make actual money from that.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2045 Comments 11
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 11

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Become a sc2 pro and move to korea, it will be far more lucrative than studying philosophy ^^
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xelias View Comment
    Become a sc2 pro and move to korea, ^^
    Haha! Maybe, but no go to Korea. I know another person did, that could be why you said that to me, but not sure.

I don't know if they get snow.

Also, driving on snowy roads is a nice break from black roads year round!
  3. Old Comment
    I always thought you would make a good philosophy professor. I just wish we had professors like you when I was back in college.
  4. Old Comment
    Why don't you go to be a priest or whatever your religion calls them?
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiger View Comment
    Why don't you go to be a priest or whatever your religion calls them?
    I won't be able to handle what the Priests do.

TBH, I am not really fond giving people communion (because I am not fond of putting my hand close to their mouth).

I won't be able to handle funerals.

I am decent coming up with sermons.

And, most Roman Catholic masses went from a good mass, from a long time ago, to a crappy mass in the present day.
  6. Old Comment
    Change religions! That's gross, I would never eat out of someone else's hand! </gemaphobe>
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiger View Comment
    Change religions! That's gross, I would never eat out of someone else's hand! </gemaphobe>
    No, I am not changing religions. I am going to stay being a Christian. Nor will I change my Christian denomination. I like being a Catholic.
  8. Old Comment
    You do realize philosophers actually have to think for themselves? Like, not relying on religion to tell you what to do in your life, for example.
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 444 View Comment
    You do realize philosophers actually have to think for themselves? Like, not relying on religion to tell you what to do in your life, for example.
    I am not being a philosopher, I am being an philosophy teacher.
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lokelake View Comment
    I am not being a philosopher, I am being an philosophy teacher.
    Yes but 444’s point is still valid. To teach you must first be able to do. You will not attain to Philosopher professor/teacher status just by mimicking other philosophers. You will need to think for yourself, demonstrating that you have a grasp of your subject matter. Only then can you teach it.
  11. Old Comment
    College professors do what they do because they are some of the most respected people in their professions. Where I go to school, teaching is second to stuff they are researching or writing. And before that, when hey have to get their doctorate, they must demonstrate that they can be a leading expert in their field. It takes at least 12 years to get a doctorate. Once you get it, it is pretty hard to change jobs let alone change professions. If you want to be a college professor, you have to realize that is what you are going to do for the rest of your life.

When people go onto their masters, and then to their doctorates, they are essentially competing for jobs and respect. They have to show they are committed and that they know their stuff. You have to prove you can think for yourself. And to your comment about not being a philosopher, if you want to teach at a university, they will only hire you if you are philosopher. It doesn't matter if it is at Harvard or Yale down to a community college. If you are teaching college you are what you are teaching