Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Lokelake's I don't know

Rate this Entry

Get a degree!

Posted 03-27-2010 at 08:19 PM by lokelake

Actually, I am quite serious. None of my parents have a degree, well, a two year degree, but that does not get them anywhere. Because now e are in money issues. We can't buy nice things, its hard to pay the bills, we need to be careful for different insurances. Do you want to end up like this? Then I will tell you what my dad told me... go to college and get a degree so you can get a nice job that you enjoy. Then you don't have to worry about money.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1471 Comments 9
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. Old Comment
    It doesn't always work out that way, depending on where you live. Sometimes, even those with degrees struggle to get jobs.
    Posted 03-27-2010 at 08:33 PM by CollaredBlondie CollaredBlondie is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CollaredBlondie View Comment
    It doesn't always work out that way, depending on where you live. Sometimes, even those with degrees struggle to get jobs.
    True. But those with degrees have a better chance than those with no degree.
  3. Old Comment
    College isn't for everyone. This is my irritation with schools right now, many are trying to make it seem like you have to go to college if you want to get a decent job and succeed in life. A few weeks ago we had a junior meeting and the principal told us he wants 100% of us to go to college, but really, that isn't the best thing. I can understand wanting 100% of us to graduate from high school next year, but not 100% of us going to college.

I've heard plenty of stories of people forced into going to college. My 9th grade counselor, she and her husband forced their youngest daughter to go to college the year after she finished high school because she was "just to intelligent not to go." Less than three months into the school year shes doing all kinds of drugs and as drinking. It got to the point she had a mental breakdown and she had to be taken to a mental hospital. Though all this, her parents kept insisting it wasn't their fault. Had they let her wait a year or two to start college, like she wanted, this probably wouldn't have happened.

The best thing for people to do is sit down and think about what they want to do with their life. Talk to people they trust about all this, parents, family members, school counselor. And then make a decision about what really is best for them personally. For some people, college is the best route. But there are also other options besides college. And even taking a year off of school after you graduate is good, I know there are some universities that recommend and encourage that, Harvard is one of them.
  4. Old Comment
    im one of those "non school" types. i really hate school, hence why im joining the military.
  5. Old Comment
    Like Ninjota said, the military is the most popular way to go right now. I can't blame anyone. And while yes, having a degree is nice, our family is also having troubles paying the bills and I don't have a lot of nice stuff (unless I buy it myself) because he is self-employed. He left a 6 figure salary job to save our family from moving. And while he is having trouble with money, my dad is the happiest he has everbeen right now.

Also, although having a two year degree isn't the most helpful thing in the world, it is better than nothing. But really, even a Bachelors isn't doing it. More and more places require you to have a Masters to move up. And sometimes, age and sex also play a factor (a male teacher is rare and they are often pick and if an older person cannot keep up with todays technology, they will get fired.). I am not saying it is right, but it happens
  6. Old Comment
    Over here, if you don't have a degree, you're nothing. Incidentally, at our standard today, even if you get your Masters, you're still nothing. Wanna stand out? Get your PhD.
  7. Old Comment
    I'm in y second year of a third year course at university. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who didn't return after first year. As Nate said, sometimes more schooling after college just isn't for everyone, but some people do regret not going to college, and then onto university (my cousin is one of them) but it really is never too late to do what you want with your life. Personally? Academia isn't really my thing, I'm not very good at the theory side of my course, which is why I'm not going to be taking the Masters that my course is starting up after third year. I'm planning on getting my degree, oh sure, I'm not wasting like £9,000 (tuition fees) and then some (rent, food, books, etc).

I do give major, major respect to those who join the military though. It's not easy in any sense of the word.
    Posted 03-28-2010 at 06:44 AM by CollaredBlondie CollaredBlondie is offline
  8. Old Comment
    There are also Tech schools, Apprentice programs. It ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!. Personally I had No clue! I have literally a handful of careers I can fall back on! Just because I got bored. BUT I am also In the US and I do believe where you are also makes the difference. I went to a career school for Decorating. Career school for Beautician. and Career school for Massage therapy. (This had more college courses to it.) Personally I think these work out great because within a year or two you are set into the world with your career and BAM there you are. However what is NOT an option... Dropping OUTTA school Even in HS and not bothering to go back for anything. THIS IS STUPID PEOPLE! I don't CARE if you are PREGNANT or just don't FEEL like going. Seriously PEOPLE? There are programs to help you get through this! GET HELP!

Sorry I have stupid Family members :-/
  9. Old Comment
    I was out of high school two years before starting college. It's not a bad way to go as it gives you an entirely different perspective from those who go straight to college. I did graduate from college, but think college is a little over rated and overly expensive. The big thing is to go out and do something, not just sit around forever and think about it.

Second point, is that while you may earn a higher salary with a college degree, it does not necesarily mean you will not have money problems. You might just have larger money problems. A college degree and managing your cash flow are two entirely different things. Obviously it is preferable to have more money coming in than going out. Rather than working your whole life for hourly wages or a salary, I believe it is much more profitable to earn a living from passive income from multiple incomes. This is why I am primarily self-employed now.

It is all common sense, really.