Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Panic!

Posted 11-12-2015 at 06:05 PM by Butterfly
Updated 02-08-2017 at 07:07 PM by Butterfly

Have you ever had a panic attack? I am sure it is different for everybody but this is what usually happens to me ...

My chest will start to feel tight and it gets really hard to breathe. My chest starts to ache the longer it lasts. I feel like I need to cry to relieve the pressure, but it just doesn't help. Sometimes I start hyperventilating just to try and get some air.

But this week has been different. It started on Saturday. One of my triggers presented itself, but I was able to brush it off and move on. (I have been in such a good place lately that I haven't been as fragile. Who knew being so immensely happy would be be such a good shield for my triggers.) I ignored the source and moved on, but the trigger kept happening. And then on Monday I was having a bad day. And it all started to pile up and suddenly the trigger was back and it happened.

Full.on.panic.attack!

Asslvr and another friend helped me through it and I was able to listen to Christmas music to help me calm down enough to breathe. When I got home from work Asslvr was waiting with pizza and snuggles and it helped me a lot.

I thought I was doing better. Usually it goes away slowly, but all week I have been feeling panicky. Not a panic attack per say ... but has been hard to breathe and I just get .... I don't know how to explain it.

I don't even know why I am writing this blog... I guess to just ask if anybody else has experienced this and how they got through it?
Views 550 Comments 5
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I get this way too. I have rather severe panic attacks that sound a lot like what you've described. And I know the general anxious feeling without actually having an attack. One thing that helps is yoga. And I have an app that has a breathing visualizer if I feel an attack coming on that can help. Unfortunately, I haven't found a sure fire way to avoid attacks.

I have something that helps me, and I'll explain in a pm if you like. Benzos never did me much good, though, and actually altered my normal personality, so I've tried not to rely on them.
  2. Old Comment
    I've had a long history of panic attacks and can't say I've beat them yet... but I have managed to transition to being able to leave the house again with the aid of a service dog. Ironically its the warmth and pressure of the dog on the outside of my chest that eases the physical symptoms (including the pressure inside the chest XD). I also use certain routines before I leave the house but my pup is the most powerful tool I have in my arsenal. If you're allergic or simply lack the ability to get it trained just having a pet will help, even a simple and always allergy friendly fish! The responsibility and being needed alone is very helpful.

For panic attack prevention, I also find a routine that I can preform prior to entering an environment I expect will be triggering very helpful. It's fairly simple, and essentially running through a checklist before i go out. Doing the simple thing of making sure everything is in place and finding it meeting that criteria makes me feel strong as well as prepared . It's not perfect and sometimes I still have vulnerable days but it works for me most of the time so maybe it's worth a shot for you too.

Now all of this is just based on my experiences of course but during an attack I would advise fighting it by.... not fighting it. Accept it and just observe it as you ride it out. Go 'Yes, I'm having a panic attack. I'm not weak, I'm not stupid, etc I'm just having a panic attack. I'm breathing harder because of the adrenaline going through my veins, and that's okay. It's just fear. Fear is not bad, fear is just human and temporary, I'm doing nothing wrong. I'm just having a panic attack."

I think sometimes we make it stronger by trying to fight it the more conventional way of trying to remind ourselves there's no danger. No matter how much logic tells us that there is no danger we just have too many things telling us there is and all saying there is not anything to fear has always just made it worse for me xD. Then on top of the fear I then have guilt and shame to make me feel that much worse, that much more helpless in the face of it...

At any rate I can't promise you that any of these things will help you but I can say my pm box is always open if you need someone else to talk to about it that's been there. ^.^
  3. Old Comment
    I've never had a panic attack (although I sure do panic sometimes), so I can't really help you out with that. But I wanted to drop by anyway to say that I hope you feel better by now!
  4. Old Comment
    I get panic attacks. They build up and no one around me can tell it's going on and then the minute I'm alone I hyperventilate and feel sick. I haven't found anything to help with them. I do know that if I am building up to one I try to have someone call me shortly after I'm alone so that I can get over them a little faster.
  5. Old Comment
    I´m glad you had friends around you when you needed them the most. It´s also good to hear they could calm you down so the panic attack is nothing more than a bad memory. Wish you all the best and maybe some of the told techniques can help you to prevent such moments in the future
    Posted 11-15-2015 at 11:23 AM by Looking for .. Looking for .. is offline