Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Lokelake's I don't know

Rate this Entry

degrees

Posted 06-26-2010 at 08:48 AM by lokelake

Isn't it unfair if someone knows a subject really, really well, well enough that they will be very good on a job but without a degree they wont be hired?

My dad knew the oil business WAY more than the other people, it would have taken those people 5-10 years to learn, yet he got turned down because he didn't get a degree in (I forgot what it was )

And what if a person knows something very well but, the courses they need to take is too hard, so they cannot get a degree. Well, that person's dream job is now ruined.

I am into Meteorology. I can easily learn everything, but the courses are way too hard for me to get a degree in it. Well, if I know it, shouldn't that be enough?

I think, instead of degrees, a person should be tested, and they need to score a 100 to get a job.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2551 Comments 17
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 17

Comments

1. Old Comment
    surely if you know it all then the degree wouldn't be too hard ?
  2. Old Comment
    A degree is only a part, it doesn’t mean you are an expert. However a degree proves that you have grasped the essentials. If you really do know the subject, a degree shouldn’t be an impossible challenge.
    Updated 06-26-2010 at 02:58 PM by theone
  3. Old Comment
    I suppose you could also see it as, they need you to have degree to know you know it really well.
  4. Old Comment
    I agree with the above statements based on my current experience.
  5. Old Comment
    Getting a 100 on a test is a secondary option to see if you know it all.

Some degrees you need to take math and sciences, and some people like me, sucks at math and most sciences, mainly physics and chemistry.
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lokelake View Comment
    Getting a 100 on a test is a secondary option to see if you know it all.

Some degrees you need to take math and sciences, and some people like me, sucks at math and most sciences, mainly physics and chemistry.
    Lol im good at those two subjects :O
    I cant wait for college
  7. Old Comment
    You are going to need to use physics and chemistry in order to be a meteorologist. I suggest getting a tutor if you really want to keep going with your major.
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiger View Comment
    You are going to need to use physics and chemistry in order to be a meteorologist. I suggest getting a tutor if you really want to keep going with your major.
    I dont know about chemistry. But I do know a lot of physics and math. They do have free tutoring service at my college, but how I look at that is... waste of time, and I could be doing something better with my life.
  9. Old Comment
    If it's free, USE IT! Would you rather use it and get good grades or not use it and fail? It's worth the time!
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiger View Comment
    If it's free, USE IT! Would you rather use it and get good grades or not use it and fail? It's worth the time!
    When I meant free, I meant you dont have to pay anything extra.

It is FAR more interesting watching forecasts for winter and tracking snow storms and ice storms.

Well, thats only when classes are close to and in the winter season.

Outside of that, ugg, staying home!
  11. Old Comment
    That could be more interesting, but is it really going to help you in the long run if you actually want a career? I'm sure you could do both.
  12. Old Comment
    If you really do want to pursue meteorology as your chosen career, then you need to study. It’s as simple as that.

Study is sometimes not fun, because it means disciplining yourself, and it can be hard. That is a simple fact of life that you need to come to terms with.

The fact that you think it fun and exciting needs to be channelled into enthusiasm to drive your study. That is one of the determining factors between making meteorology a hobby/interest or a career.
  13. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theone View Comment
    If you really do want to pursue meteorology as your chosen career, then you need to study. It’s as simple as that.

Study is sometimes not fun, because it means disciplining yourself, and it can be hard. That is a simple fact of life that you need to come to terms with.

The fact that you think it fun and exciting needs to be channelled into enthusiasm to drive your study. That is one of the determining factors between making meteorology a hobby/interest or a career.
    TBH, I was on a tropical weather blog, and one kid on there is 13, and he sounds like how an expert with a PHd would sound. That was hitting pretty hard. And still is.

He has got to be like a topical weather prodigy.
  14. Old Comment
    lulz,

If you know it, Lokelake then why would it be hard to get a degree?
  15. Old Comment
    @fetish

Because I suck at Calc 1-4 and every physics out there, lol.
  16. Old Comment
    All the more reason to try. If you don't try you can't do anything. If you do try and can't get it, you should have no regrets because you gave it your all
  17. Old Comment
    You're more likely to prove what you know with a degree. Simple as that.

Oh, I see. Yep, a loke edit.
    Updated 08-05-2010 at 08:32 PM by lokelake