Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
banneduser
Account Banned

Default Spelling people, spelling!

Gah! I know some of you people are young and i dont expect everyone to have an A in English but please learn to spell or learn to use a spellchecker!

If you dont have MS Word then download Open Office from OpenOffice.Org (i can vouch for its safety and security. But of course i cant accept responsibility in the unlikely event something goes wrong. but i can tell you i use this software very often and would never use MS word again.. The reason i tell you this is because it has a spell checker, freaking use it!

Secondly if you use Mozilla firefox (well if you use FF I'd expect you to be intelligent enough to figure out how to use a spell checker anyway...) firefox automatically spellchecks textboxes so use it! Get the English dictionary (if your english, rather than using American (yes American is its own language, its not English, how can pants be trousers...WTF?)) You cant go wrong now! You can copy and paste stuff into open office or word or you an use firefox (you should use FF anyway really...)

Things that really annoy me: "fucking" spelt "fucken" WTF?! It's clearly pronounced "Fuck- Ing" not "Fuck-En"....And "Another" Spelt: "Anouther", since when has it been pronounced "an-ow-ther" ?! And "here" spelt "Hear"....

I can tolerate the missing out of capitals or of apostrophes and the like and the odd spelling mistake in a normal post but not in stories...Please if you're writing a story spell check it first!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Sum
getDare Devil

Wow, someone reeehhhheeeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyy likes brackets!

I think in honesty as long as the spelling is understandable what's it matter? I maybe be saying slightly different to what i said previously, but people's views can change. I think anyway i was arguing at that time against l33t speak and the such.

But what you say about open office is very true, is a piece of software.

I wouldn't say that because people use firefox they are clever, it's just the dominant happy bloatware browser that has come out all victorious form the Second Great Browser War.

Other ways if people wish to spell check, have a quick search of google, or some other reputable search engine, and you'll find a large amount of online spell checkers. here's the link: http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Alternately, if you have a google account there is docs.google.com works with most browsers, though unless they've updated it you need to in opera set the site settings to mask as firefox or internet explorer (it works fine they just block us because they're prejudiced) this or zoho office at zoho.com are great purely online word processors these are great solutions to you story writers out there who either don't want to download any extra software, or have an 'interesting' story sitting on a shared computer.

Furthermore Opera users, you getting pissed off with all these buggers with their inline spell check, when we still have to right click (which is such a chore i know)?

Well rejoice and slam this baby into your userjs folder http://opera.gt500.org/ospell/

For those who don't know userjs in opera is basically the equivalent of the firefox extension greesemonkey, or more accurately greesemonkey is firefox's equivalent of userJs, the latter being introduced I'm pretty sure back when firefox was a gleam in netscape's eye.

Fire walk with me

I'm off to kinktalk. Bye all.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
MasterPain
Distinguished Member

i have ieSpell installed
but some people do that a dissability that they spell how they hear and not as it is suposed to be.

i am one who is such
Old 03-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
banneduser
Account Banned

Quote:
but some people do that a dissability that they spell how they hear and not as it is suposed to be.
Mhmm of course, and i wouldnt say this post is aimed at such people, at least you have the intelligence to use a spell checker, there is no excuse for not using a spell checker

Quote:
I wouldn't say that because people use firefox they are clever,
perhaps, but those who are clever dont use IE

Nice online spell checker though, never heard of those before, could be of great benefit to story writers, maybe it should be mentioned in a stick on the story forums...
Old 03-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Davros
Account Banned

im soreh an wana pologize nw soz

Jokes

I agree with your original post.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
MasterPain
Distinguished Member

well as such sometimes my words are beyond the help of a spellchecker.

also on several posts where i dont deem it important for the spelling i dont bother with it.

but if i post long speaches or dares i use it almost constently
Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Roswell

Indeed. Proper spelling (and grammar) make things much quicker to read, and look nicer. Plus, it's not that hard to do.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omssx View Post
I can tolerate the missing out of capitals or of apostrophes and the like and the odd spelling mistake in a normal post but not in stories...Please if you're writing a story spell check it first!
You're right. It is actually part of the TorD stories forum rules to use proper spelling & grammar as much as possible in this section. Recently I've noticed some stories containing so many errors, typos & even some chat speak. This makes it extremely hard to read & enjoy as a reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
Indeed. Proper spelling (and grammar) make things much quicker to read, and look nicer. Plus, it's not that hard to do.
I would not say that it's not that hard for eveyone but I do partly agree with you. My 1st language isn't english & I don't use any type of spell-checker. I just preview my posts before clicking that "Submit Reply" button (well... most of them... ) Only takes me one more minute or less...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
AM.PM
Distinguished Member

Location: i now live in Seattle wa, the stupid city that looks nothing like Dublin!!
Cool

sorry about my spelling i know it is pretty crapy so I will try to correct my grammer.You are wright though i am young and I hate english and writing for that matter

Don't ask me to be your mistress or slave. I will not accept so don't waste your time!

These are videos I have to show you guys:
http://ie.youtube.catch?v=xllgk-Glxs4
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...html?mea=93343
Old 03-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
brownie
Account Banned

Send a message via AIM to brownie Send a message via Yahoo to brownie

We been threwe this in the past and
Ummmmmmmmm
still dont care!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
Ummmmmmmmm
still dont care!
Yes, you're right. We had a thread about 6 months ago about spelling. It was closed mainly because the discussion had gone off-topic, remember?

http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=5542

You don't care? Then don't post. Simple.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
banneduser
Account Banned

Quote:
Ummmmmmmmm
still dont care!
Incorrect.... This is in fact in the present and we do in face care, you may not but that's your problem not ours... If you dont have something meaningful to add to a topic please save your (and our) time and dont reply.
Quote:
My 1st language isn't english & I don't use any type of spell-checker.
In that case I'd like to thank you for taking the time to proof read what you write... And even though your first language isnt English you write considerably better than a lot of people on these boards And considering you dont use a spell checker and you write extremely good English imagine the joys we could get of English speakers using a spell checker...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Dice7
getDare Addict

I'm not the worlds best speller and I'm sure some of you have got knarked at mistakes I've made in the past.

I think its important to remember that some people just can't spell and sometimes can't even recognise that a word is mispelt even if they were to proof read it, this can be for several good reasons such as dyslexia and even (without meaning to be patronising) through a lower IQ. Lets not be spelling nazi's about it and recognise when people are making an effort and just arn't good at spelling.

Unsure: pee, anal, pic/audio proof, dildo sucking/swallow

Dislikes:light crossdress, edging/denial, extreme humiliation, full public, mild ass2mouth, ball torture

Limits: Diapers, scat, full cross dress, pics/videos that identify me
PM/KIK DARES https://bit.ly/2X8Od9N
EXPOSE MEhttps://bit.ly/3AxE70x
Old 03-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
Collared_Slave
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Collared_Slave Send a message via Yahoo to Collared_Slave

Even with spell checkers though- you will spell words right- but it might not be the right word you want (see the Spellchecker song):
I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it.
Your sure real glad two no.
Its very polished in its weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
banneduser
Account Banned

Quote:
I think its important to remember that some people just can't spell
I do agree but even those who arent good at spelling can use a spell checker, thats the reason why i posted a few ways to spell check stuff and now that Sum1(2) posted the online spell checkers everyone has the chance to use a spell checker.

I dont mind the odd typo, everyone does that (im being especially careful not to make typos in this topic :P) but constant spelling errors really are annoying, especially in the story section or in longer posts, and with spell checkers theres no excuse anymore. I also realize that, as Chloe points out, not everyone is a native English speaker and im grateful that these people have taken the time and effort to learn English to a high level and i accept they might make mistakes but there are still spell checkers.

Spell checkers FTW!
Closed Thread

Advertisements
Kink Talk