Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Old 11-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Officelover
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Smile What happened to rep

Seriously; I don't have any rep things anymore. Is this normal? Did getDare take away the rep function?

If someone could tell me what's going on (I'm so confused)
Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Manbearpig
getDare Expert

Rep was taken away awhile ago because people were abusing the system

Will not do: Anal, Messy, Public

Kik:Mbpgetdare
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
depp
SysOp

The reputation system will return at some point in the near future.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:13 AM   #4
Bandit|Queen
getDare Sweetheart

I think the world is a better place without rep

Love you my smooch!
Bandit|Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Zeromus
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit|Queen View Post
I think the world is a better place without rep
To be honest I second that. BECAUSE look at us now, nobody really whines, complains, ect.

*Due to the innate funness of trivia, I too have a contest. Mine will be focused on gaming, with a few grab bag questions.

Here's an easy one. (name the game this quote came from)

"Where's the oh so pleasant sound of someone getting impaled?"
Zeromus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Bandit|Queen
getDare Sweetheart

As long as you can't give negative rep I think its a great idea. I know the petty things people give negative rep for and it is a way to bully people and be petty towards people you don't like.

We all know you only want it back Davros so you can show off because you had a lot of squares

At the end of the day it just depends if people use it properly.

Love you my smooch!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
interesting
getDare Succubus

Location: Somewhere between here and there, in Quebec, Canada...

Bandit Queen, my sentiments exactly. It's too easy to criticize, and there's not enough positive reinforcement in here (or anywhere). I'm sure Depp has his own ideas, and I trust him fully, but my two-cents are: if you're going to bring back reputation or something similar (and I came in after it disappeared), make it so that we can positively rate people.

As for negative ratings, we already have the GD staff to do that if people misbehave.

You can visit my erotic stories website at:
interestinglifestories.weebly.com

This link can get you to all of my stories on this site as well:
Blog for my GD stories

interesting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Bandit|Queen
getDare Sweetheart

Well if you don't like someones post or agree with their opinion etc you just don't give them rep, sorted and no negative rep required

Love you my smooch!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by interesting View Post
...but my two-cents are: if you're going to bring back reputation or something similar (and I came in after it disappeared), make it so that we can positively rate people.

As for negative ratings, we already have the GD staff to do that if people misbehave.
Yes, this is also the way I feel about it. This is also the way the system works on KinkTalk and I always had the feeling it would be even more appropriate to be like this here. I think it's nice to have a way to let other users know how their contributions are appreciated as well as it's also nice to receive that positive feedback as well

And, yeah, as for the negative it was not really useful in general. People who had low rep count used to receive it for either breaking rules which we are already here for. The other ones received it for very questionable reasons and was too often used just to get back at other members as BQ said.

And another upside about dropping the negative rep would perhaps be that there would be less threads about rep I remember a few months back there were like 7-8 different threads about it ongoing at the same time! Arrrgh...
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
interesting
getDare Succubus

Location: Somewhere between here and there, in Quebec, Canada...

No, let's debate, as long as it remains civil (I was writing this one at the same time as Chloe's and answering Davros).

I do understand the argument, but I also think that giving negative reputation to someone is wrong on many levels. As Bandit Queen stated, it can be used to belittle individuals, bully even, and there is no way we (I hope I can speak for everyone on this) want to encourage that kind of behaviour in any shape, matter or form. It allows for a form unspecified criticism and it can really damage someone's ego to see negative reputation appear all of a sudden on their account; they'd want to know why, it may create additional tensions (as maybe it did in the past, I wasn't there).

To give you an example, I often comment on stories, and I don't always like what I read, but I always try to be civil about it. I highlight both the high points and the low points, but I do so in manner that is specific (I know I seem to be arguing your case but bear with me) to the story at hand. I also always include a mention that this merely my opinion or one possible interpretation, and that I am biased (no, I don't have two of THOSE, before any goes and make the joke). I put my criticism alongside the positive comments to balance them.

Now, when you compliment someone, you take nothing away from them, and you actually give them something more : positive reinforcement. When you criticize, you take something away, and that varies (credibility, ego, confidence, etc). The impacts of negative criticism (and here I'm exagerrating to prove my point, I know) are much worse than the impacts of positive criticism. Balance can be maintained because the comments can be seen as a whole.

With something like reputation, which if I understand correctly was 'undefined' but merely a rating, there is no possible balance. It is either good or bad. It is an issue of appreciation that does not even have to involve conscious reflection. "I don't like this - click on bad. I like this - click on good." The arbitrary nature of such a reputation format makes it far easier for it to be misused or misconstrued.

Now, positive reputation has no negative impact. "I like this - click good. I don't like this - doesn't affect anyone but me." And that's why I'm against negative reputation.

Of course, this entire entry might altogether be moot, since we have no idea what Depp has planned, but I wanted to voice my opinion. And I don't mean to stir up trouble. I just like reading myself think

That is all.
interesting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
depp
SysOp

We have had so many threads about reputation and I have read so many opinions I have a solution in mind. I think we can all agree the system that was in place was not the best solution as it was open to lots of abuse. The solution I have in mind however requires a software upgrade. A new rep system will come back around the time of the next upgrade. It will be very similar to what is in place on Kink Talk. The new upgrade is coming along and will bring with it many massive changes to all of getDare.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
Coyote
getDare Addict

i think that the old rep system was flawed. people could make up a reason to give a negative comment so possible a new mod should be decided to mediate all rep comments. for example if someone wanted to give someone a negative comment point they must give a legitimate reason and proof for why. and then a message would be sent to the said mod and he/she would decide if the reason was legit or just an attack on that member.

same thing would go for a good rep (but it is probably not a problem with good rep comments)
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
Coyote
getDare Addict

i rep mod would have to be dedicated to doing it. it could be a hard job but maybe each mod could switch off doing it every 2 weeks or so and it would be on a rotation
Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
Coyote
getDare Addict

ya you are probably right but it was just an idea
Old 11-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #15
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
If I remember correctly, a few of the mods objected to this idea so it's doubtful.
Yeah that's right. With the amount of users logging per day etc. it would be nearly impossible to check every single one account to check their rep on a daily basis. And it would be pointless too; rep is only an extra feature and has not more importance than that. Comments could always be reported to us though just as posts & PMs. But getting one person just to check on an extra feature doesn't sound really all that important especially since there's already a new system upcoming.
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote