Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 09-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #856
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

Matt's unique. He has elements of Tom and Troughton, but then Tennant has elements of Colin, Eccleston and Tom. You're never gunna have brand new Doctors. And that's sorta the point - they're all the exact same man. So Matt is the Eleventh Doctor, as well as the Tenth, the Ninth... he's the Doctor. They're all the Doctor.

I struggle to see Tennant as unique now because, as I said, in my eyes, he's an actor playing the Doctor. It's forced, his performance. Obviously his accent is forced too. Sometimes I see Tennant as trying too hard, whereas Matt is naturally eccentric and Doctor-like.

And the "Lonely God" title is something I have a problem with. Thanks RTD xD
Note: This is just a friendly debate and know way I'm taking a stab at you, man.

I do agree with you about the similarities with Tennant and the other Doctors, plus the same thing with Matt Smith.

I also believe that the Doctor should have similar qualities as past Doctors, since he is the same man. I just feel like Smith reminds me of Johnny Depp's characters. So it does not seem so new too me. I do think he has high potential and by series 6, I think he is going to raise the bar with the Doctor.

Also this might not be entirely Smith's fault, after all he is not writing the scripts. Moffat might be trying to bring the Doctor back to his roots. I don't mind at all, but I think there should be a mark that Matt Smith can only leave behind, hopefully more than just a Fez and Willy Wonka feel. Like Tennant's "Lonely God" Doctor, Pertwee's "Grumpy/Posh Kung Fu" Doctor or Eccleston's "Clint Eastwood" Doctor. In the defense of Smith he has a few more series to go to make me happy. Which I think he will do.

For some reason, Matt Smith is not my favorite Doctor yet. I like him but he is not on my top list of Doctor's yet.

I totally disagree with Tennant being forced. Tennant got me emotionally involved in the Doctor, just like I feel he might have been emotionally involved in his character. The Tenth Doctor was always in pain and in emotional agony. Think about it; all of the Tenth Doctor's series final had a tragedy in it. He never had a happy ending. So Tennant's performance required him too look like he was in pain and miserable. Even when he tried to put a smile on his face, you could still see the sadness in the man.

Oh wow... I just came to a realization. Is the reason why I don't like Matt Smith's Doctor because he is happy? I mean... I have always fought with depression and emotional problems, while always trying to put a smile on my face. So I can see how I can relate to the Tenth Doctor. As I was typing this out I think I just spooked myself.

Uhhh...

My Return and Regeneration!

This has been moved to my blog.

I have been away for a while and needed a fresh start. So read my update and Hello again!

LGBT Community Thread

Last edited by drvaleyard; 09-19-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Evil English Grammar and Spelling!
drvaleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #857
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Eye Psychology of the Doctor

As most of us know that all the incarnations of the Doctor are not separate. In reality they all make one great man, the Doctor. I was wondering, if you can describe the underlying personality traits that the Doctor has (common personality traits of each incarnation)?

How would you describe the differences of each incarnation of the Doctor's personality?

Also for fun, if you had to diagnose each incarnation of the Doctor with a personality disorder or psychological illness. What would it be?

This is from my forum post on http://gallifreybase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71815

I have been away for a while and needed a fresh start. So read my update and Hello again!

LGBT Community Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #858
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Default Doctor is Pranked!

Doctor is pranked by Wilf. Ether Wilf is a sick bastard or he is finally going senile and got stuck in that cabinet again.

LGBT Community Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #859
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Note: This is just a friendly debate and know way I'm taking a stab at you, man.

I love friendly debates

I also believe that the Doctor should have similar qualities as past Doctors, since he is the same man. I just feel like Smith reminds me of Johnny Depp's characters. So it does not seem so new too me. I do think he has high potential and by series 6, I think he is going to raise the bar with the Doctor.

But I see that with Tennant. Straight away you've got Depp and Tennant with two distinctly strong and sometimes OTT accent/voice. Then you've got Ten's trademark long jacket and swagger. Whereas Matt has a less-demanding voice and his trademark appears more like a geography teacher than a loopy pirate. Though, that said, Matt/Moffat did want the Doctor to wear a trenchcoat/pirate-like outfit originally. Glad they toned that back though.

Also this might not be entirely Smith's fault, after all he is not writing the scripts. Moffat might be trying to bring the Doctor back to his roots. I don't mind at all, but I think there should be a mark that Matt Smith can only leave behind, hopefully more than just a Fez and Willy Wonka feel. Like Tennant's "Lonely God" Doctor, Pertwee's "Grumpy/Posh Kung Fu" Doctor or Eccleston's "Clint Eastwood" Doctor. In the defense of Smith he has a few more series to go to make me happy. Which I think he will do.

After a heavy emphasis on "Lonely God", I just think Moffat's wanting to reign him in a bit. Take his huge finale speech to the aliens... which is then completely undermined as find out the aliens are double-bluffing and laughing behind his back. He's weakened. He's not a God, he was never a God, he's just an eccentric traveller who got caught up in a deadly Time War which, temporarily, changed his outlook on life. I hope Moffat brings him back to a Four-like man who's just out for fun. Ten's Doctor loved fun but he got bogged down 24/7 in emotion and sadness and guilt. Hopefully there's a lot less for Eleven.

Note the way he dismisses the Time War as "a bad day" in "The Beast Below". Understated, subtle, still emotional, but the man is moving on.

For some reason, Matt Smith is not my favorite Doctor yet. I like him but he is not on my top list of Doctor's yet.

Too soon, I should suspect. He's fast becoming my favourite but he's only got 13 episodes as apposed to, say, Tom who has 42 stories.

I totally disagree with Tennant being forced. Tennant got me emotionally involved in the Doctor, just like I feel he might have been emotionally involved in his character. The Tenth Doctor was always in pain and in emotional agony. Think about it; all of the Tenth Doctor's series final had a tragedy in it. He never had a happy ending. So Tennant's performance required him too look like he was in pain and miserable. Even when he tried to put a smile on his face, you could still see the sadness in the man.

I think he's forced in his accent. Watch "Tooth and Claw" where he's allowed to use his natural accent. For me, the line is clear. His natural accent sounds exactly that, whereas his mockney gets stronger and stronger to the point where it's "W-ELLLLLLLLL" and every tiny little punctuation is emphasised beyond belief. And his catchphrases fuck me right off.

"HA!"

"WELL!"

"Brrrrrilliant!"

"Allons-y!"

"HA!"

...fuck off! I love S2 Ten but then he just grates. I see his emotional journey and I understand the arc he went through, but his character just declines for me from a character into a caricature of the Doctor.

Click!

Oh wow... I just came to a realization. Is the reason why I don't like Matt Smith's Doctor because he is happy? I mean... I have always fought with depression and emotional problems, while always trying to put a smile on my face. So I can see how I can relate to the Tenth Doctor. As I was typing this out I think I just spooked myself.

Probably not. It's just too soon, it's all sudden change, and we need time yet to adapt to Matt.
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #860
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #861
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Here's a little something I made for a "Make your own dream DWM cover" competition...

I'm not keen on the back sign (should be under the logo, not over it) and the alignment of "AND SILENCE" but meh. For my first creation, I'm happy
Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #862
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

More art stuff, yay

Rory: Umm, Doctor...
Doctor: Yes, I see the problem.

"An Unearthly Return"

"Back to Skaro"
Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 AM   #863
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

At the time of writing, Charlie McDonnell (Charlieissocoollike @ YouTube) is with Neil Gaiman on the TARDIS set. Yes, right now.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #864
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Tennant was my favorite until this summer lol. Now it's more Troughton or Tom Baker. And my hatred of Pertwee is still there with ecelstons lack of series' putting him not much better tbh so basically matt n tennant are slapp bang in the middle. Hartnell was a legend and the French Revolution is an amazing episode along with The Chase which is one of the best DW episodes of all time in my opinion. Since i'v had a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggg summer i'v watched all of Hartnell i can get my hands on and as much Trougton as i can. (Much Harder). And throughly enjoyed it all bar the shit episodes like Hartnells cowboy one and the entire 5 seasons of Pertwee, Bar the Three Doctors.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #865
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Has anyone ever made a doctor who fan fic?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #866
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

I'm doing my A2 English Language coursework on Neologisms in Doctor Who.

During my preparations, I threw all the story titles into Wordle just to see what was popular. For obvious reasons, I dismissed all the "The" and "and" and "of"'s

Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #867
new2this

That is so impressive!
new2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #868
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2this View Post
That is so impressive!
Glad you approve. I find it rather funky too xD even if they are just words.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #869
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Want 'em?

Tough.

I just found this amazingly awesomely detailed perfected prop replica on eBay and I've just bought it. WOOO. £XXX well spent
Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #870
new2this

I actually could not be more jealous at this moment in time.
new2this is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood