Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Truth OR Dare > Truth or Dare Stories > The Authors' Cafe

Old 12-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Officelover
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Default Names

Has anyone but me noticed that the leading characters usually have the same names.

The male characters usually have the name "John"

The female characters usually have the name "Sarah"

I checked John and 58 stories include that name.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
vivala_dare
Distinguished Member

Well I fort this when writeing my first story. So thats how I got the name Jeff.
vivala_dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
kirstyjane

Send a message via ICQ to kirstyjane Send a message via AIM to kirstyjane Send a message via Yahoo to kirstyjane

people will start using different names now lol...

looking for sissy boys who like to dress up, wear make up and heels. PM me for more info.
kirstyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
interesting
getDare Succubus

Location: Somewhere between here and there, in Quebec, Canada...

The name 'Jim' of my original main character is actually to honor the best character in the universe: JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK. I'm not kidding!

The name 'Sarah' is actually the name of a girl I wanted to date in high school, asked out and got rejected. I'm so nailing her now (sinister laugh)!

But yeah, I agree with your conclusions. I am usually good with generating names, not necessarily original. There are 'Johns' and 'Billys' more than there are 'Maximilians'; same thing for girl names. I liked 'Kamara'; I thought that has a nice ring to it.

You can visit my erotic stories website at:
interestinglifestories.weebly.com

This link can get you to all of my stories on this site as well:
Blog for my GD stories

interesting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Officelover
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Smile Smiles all around

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyjane View Post
people will start using different names now lol...
I'm so glad that I did my part!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Zeromus
getDare Devil

I did use different names, bit there was little interest in my stories soooo...

*Due to the innate funness of trivia, I too have a contest. Mine will be focused on gaming, with a few grab bag questions.

Here's an easy one. (name the game this quote came from)

"Where's the oh so pleasant sound of someone getting impaled?"
Zeromus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
vivala_dare
Distinguished Member

After this thread in a few years time people will be asking why all the chracters names are Jeff Maximilians and Kamara and not James Sarah and so on lmao

See what we have done here!
vivala_dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
CheshireCat_13
getDare Sweetheart

Hmm, well I like the names Eric, Zach, and Steven....and for girls...Elizabeth (Lizzy), Rebecca, and Jennifer

Limits: Public, piss and shit, extreme pain, needles (i'm deathly afraid of them), anal.

If you wish to talk to me you better have decent grammar. Do not mangle the english language please.
CheshireCat_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Officelover
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Red face

Those are good names. I try to make people's names fitting to their character. Like along time ago, I made a dom (who was portrayed as evil and pretty much was) named Jezebel. First of all, you'll never find anyone named Jezebel. Second of all, you'll never find anyone named: Haman, Laban, Penina (sadly, I do know on named this), etc... Third of all, it is because the names they have are evil people in the Bible (Haman = man who wanted to tried to convince the King to kill us in Scroll of Esther, Laban = Man who tricked Jacob into marying a person who he didn't love, Penina = person who teased Hannah (Samuel's mom) about ho she couldn't get pregnant.)

Suprisingly, neither will you find Zebulon, Eldad, Meidad, Habukuk, Shifrah, or Puah (who are all good)
Old 12-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Hampers
Kiss Kiss FIRE!

Zeromus, on the other hand...
Old 12-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
coolio5

uhh, well i guess im guilty of common names

but yea some good names...how abou Ferris, Josephine, Garfield, Lincoln, Katrina, Louis, or how about naming all of your characters after U.S Presidents. and first ladys. haha Lady Bird as a slave to Abraham...sorry weird mind

Limits: permanent, illegal, family, poo, anal, extreme pain

PM me with any good dares

HIGH QUALITY READING MATERIAL:

FINISHED "Strip Basketball"!!!!
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=11996
(3rd place in the 2008 Storyteller's Choice Awards!!!)

IN PROGRESS "That crazy school trip..."
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthrea...904#post182904
coolio5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Bebe_Gurl
Distinguished Member

I think that there's a strange comfort in the common names that we find on getdare for some of our users. I think that it can make characters a bit more relateable for us dreamers who arn't as lucky as our beloved characters. But I on the other hand think that we should branch out a little bit, but not too much...My name is Audrey. When is the last time when you herd a story on here with a sexy dom "Audrey" forcing her slave to stick junk up his ass. I don't know!

Also the names "Nick" for a boy, and "Jessica" for a girl are also too frequently used.
Limits:
Family, Permenent, EXTREEME pain ( I can take a little) I have to b able 2 clean it up easly...oh and nothing illegal
Have: Large butt plug, small butt plug, medium butt plug, diapers, twist ties for my sensitive lil nipples
Bebe_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Some users pick great names for their stories!!

http://getdare.com/bbs/search.php?searchid=1079176

On a more serious note now: I agree with Bebe that the choice of common names creates a sense of 'this could happen to you' feeling to a story. But I'm in complete agreement with Dav here: the plots...

I don't mind a story about John and Sarah... but please, please, please... No more 'my neighbor-schoolmate-cousin-whatever' found out about my getdare account and now I am blackmailed to be his/her slave kind of stories... This has been really overdone...

Hmm I guess it's a style vs.substance debate
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #14
Bebe_Gurl
Distinguished Member

I agree with Chloe and Davros, i also really wish the plots would get more original. Im a very avid story reader and would really like some new fuel to feed my fire with. Its not that all of these old plots are bad, its just that they are over used as Chloe mentioned. I really urge writers to think outside the box and break the barriers of the conformitive style that getdare has developed.
Limits:
Family, Permenent, EXTREEME pain ( I can take a little) I have to b able 2 clean it up easly...oh and nothing illegal
Have: Large butt plug, small butt plug, medium butt plug, diapers, twist ties for my sensitive lil nipples
Bebe_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk