Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

Bragging. But so envious.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #844
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Default A conversation between myself and 'drvaleyard'

drvaleyard

So I have heard people talk about this before. How would you feel if the 12th Doctor was played by a women or someone outside his typical race/ethnicity? I'm little iffy about the ideal, but it is sci-fi.

Doctor

I wouldn't mind a Doctor of differing ethnicity. I used to dislike the idea of a black Doctor but I've come round and it could be really cool to explore this option. It'd attract new audiences and hopefully banish the idea that all black men are either gangsta rappers or scary which society, generally, often tends to believe. So yeah, could be cool.

But definitely no for a female Doctor. We've got companions for the female role. And, arguably, we have a female Doctor in the form of River Song - she has a TARDIS diary, a Sonic, etc. And if the Doctor could become female, you could argue he would've become it long before his 12th body. Also, we've never ever seen or heard it mentioned that he can change gender so it'd feel random. It'd be like they'd do it just because.

drvaleyard

I can see a black Doctor, if the actor pulls off a really good Doctor. Also, I prefer them showing the change of ethincy through another Time Lord, first. So they could test the waters with the ideal.

I want to keep John Simm as the Master as long as they can. Wouldn't be cool to have a BLACK Master, though?

Also I agree with you. No sex change regeneration, please. I think that is just too much of a leap.

River is more of the Doctor's counterpart, even more so than some past companions tried to be. I think she is interesting and want to see a little bit more of her. I want to see how this River Song mystery is going to play out. Do you ever get the feeling she might have an evil agenda?

Doctor

That could be cool. It's worthy of note that we have seen black Time Lords before so they are canon. But yeah. Could be interesting to see a white Time Lord regenerate into a black Time Lord. That said, it'd then just feel "the same" to do it with the Doctor. Sometimes the show needs to take risks (ala Hartnell/Troughton) and I think this show is perfect for risks. And in a time where we black people are perfectly equal to white people, I see no problem. The 60s = no, today = yes!

A lot of people wanted Paterson Joseph as the Eleventh Doctor after he was rumoured, so I think that says a lot, in that we'd all be very accepting. Plus, it'd open new doors for the character himself as it'd be new and could be even challenged. They've done old Doctors to young Doctors, so why not white to black? If he can change practically anything about him, it's perfectly reasonable for him to become black.

/ramble

Also, I think Simm's had his story. "The End of Time" felt like the end for his character and Simm has said himself he'd like to come back but only to pass the baton, and regenerate. I don't think there's anywhere else for Simm to go, as he's meant to be the ultimate mental one. I hope we go back to the evil gentleman like Delgado.

And regarding River. I think she has some evil inside her but I'm not convinced because it just feels lazy. And it feels a bit predictable. There's gotta be some huge twist in her story.
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #845
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

I'm against the Doctor turning into a woman, and not so sure about the doctor becoming black but who knows. Every doctor left his mark on the doctors legacy, The First Doctors pompous attitude, THe second had his recorder, the third his ridicules kong fu shit, the fourths scarf the fifths celery. and you can name some thing for everyone more recently 9th war scars, 10th fantasy with rose and how close to human he was. And 11ths bow ties and fezs, the risk with a black doctor is that the character is remembered for his colour and little else.

As for story line he has mentioned he could become something completely different, 9 said he could have two heads. Changing ethnic group has happened to timelords before. Pertwees finale episode showed a timelord the Doctor respected 'His teacher' regenerate from an old white man to a tibetan monk.

in my eyes tho there is only one man who should be the next doctor.. Rupet Grant
Old 09-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #846
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

the risk with a black doctor is that the character is remembered for his colour and little else.

But how cool would that be? The first black Doctor in a 46+ year old TV show with such a legendary background. Plus, the hype would die down eventually and it'd just be like any other actor. Bit like Matt Smith was purely "the youngest guy" and now he's just like all the other actors with his own quirks.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #847
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
the risk with a black doctor is that the character is remembered for his colour and little else.

But how cool would that be? The first black Doctor in a 46+ year old TV show with such a legendary background. Plus, the hype would die down eventually and it'd just be like any other actor. Bit like Matt Smith was purely "the youngest guy" and now he's just like all the other actors with his own quirks.
If America can elect a black president. The British can make the Doctor black. After all, I think the United Kingdom is little bit more liberal than America is.

My Return and Regeneration!

This has been moved to my blog.

I have been away for a while and needed a fresh start. So read my update and Hello again!

LGBT Community Thread

drvaleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #848
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collared_Slave View Post
The new series is okay... i prefer David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston
I so agree, but Matt Smith is growing on me.

No really, he is literally growing on me. I can't find a proper cream to fix this.

David Tennant is my first Doctor and my favorite.

I have been away for a while and needed a fresh start. So read my update and Hello again!

LGBT Community Thread

Last edited by drvaleyard; 09-18-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:16 AM   #849
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvaleyard View Post
It's the same for me, I like Matt Smith but he's no Tennant.
Bowties are cool.
I miss Doctor Who.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #850
andom4444
Moderator & Nice Guy

For you Dr Who fans, have a look at this!

Hidden Public, Semi-Public, Exhibitionism, Nudity, Voyeurism, Toys, Light to Medium Pain (Pegs etc)
Limits:
Friends, Family, Scat, Beastiality, Hair, Findom, Work, Blood, Scat, Vomit

andom4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #851
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
If America can elect a black president. The British can make the Doctor black. After all, I think the United Kingdom is little bit more liberal than America is.
That said, I don't want a black Doctor just for change sake. Only a black Doctor if he can act and suits the role.

Quote:
I so agree, but Matt Smith is growing on me.

No really, he is literally growing on me. I can't find a proper cream to fix this.

Tennant was my first Doctor and is now one of my mid/least favourites

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop View Post

It's the same for me, I like Matt Smith but he's no Tennant.
Bowties are cool.
I miss Doctor Who.
Oh. I'll be the odd one out then.

Tennant is no Matt Smith. Smith is the Doctor, for me, whilst Tennant was a guy playing the Doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andom4444 View Post
For you Dr Who fans, have a look at this!
The spelling ... *dies* ... how picky am I? xD But yeah! If I had that money, I so would. Well, I do have the money, but I think it's best being spent on uni and education and cars and stuff
Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #852
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:

That said, I don't want a black Doctor just for change sake. Only a black Doctor if he can act and suits the role.

Tennant was my first Doctor and is now one of my mid/least favourites

Oh. I'll be the odd one out then.

Tennant is no Matt Smith. Smith is the Doctor, for me, whilst Tennant was a guy playing the Doctor.

The spelling ... *dies* ... how picky am I? xD But yeah! If I had that money, I so would. Well, I do have the money, but I think it's best being spent on uni and education and cars and stuff
Sorry, Tennant is the best Doctor. I love the Lonely God.

Matt Smith is growing to be an awesome Doctor.

I just think he is just a copy of older Doctors. I love the quirkiness, but I want something added to the performance. Something that will mark him as unique. I seen so many of the same acting styles with a quirky hero, Johnny Depp for example.

If I had the money, I would buy the Dalek too. I would love a real TARDIS though.

I mean like a real TARDIS. I would quit my day job and travel through space and time.

LGBT Community Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #853
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Sorry, Tennant is the best Doctor. I love the Lonely God.

Matt Smith is growing to be an awesome Doctor.

I just think he is just a copy of older Doctors. I love the quirkiness, but I want something added to the performance. Something that will mark him as unique. I seen so many of the same acting styles with a quirky hero, Johnny Depp for example.
Matt's unique. He has elements of Tom and Troughton, but then Tennant has elements of Colin, Eccleston and Tom. You're never gunna have brand new Doctors. And that's sorta the point - they're all the exact same man. So Matt is the Eleventh Doctor, as well as the Tenth, the Ninth... he's the Doctor. They're all the Doctor.

I struggle to see Tennant as unique now because, as I said, in my eyes, he's an actor playing the Doctor. It's forced, his performance. Obviously his accent is forced too. Sometimes I see Tennant as trying too hard, whereas Matt is naturally eccentric and Doctor-like.

And the "Lonely God" title is something I have a problem with. Thanks RTD xD
Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #854
new2this

I'm definitely on the Smith side, than Tennant, and Tennant is slowly slipping down in my eyes.

I've finally found the time to start watching my vast DVD collection. Have watched the 1st two Hartnell stories, really enjoying it. And looking forward to getting to finally see all the doctors and be able to get my favourites in order
new2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #855
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2this View Post
I'm definitely on the Smith side, than Tennant, and Tennant is slowly slipping down in my eyes.

I've finally found the time to start watching my vast DVD collection. Have watched the 1st two Hartnell stories, really enjoying it. And looking forward to getting to finally see all the doctors and be able to get my favourites in order
Something I wanna do some time; watch them in order. It'll make for a much better viewing experience, I think, especially with Hartnell's serials.

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood