Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Old 08-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
theone
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
With the amount of people posing as the opposite gender and stuff... if I was offered a way to verify my age and gender, I'd happily do it. But it's personal and optional and it might just be me.
I appreciate what you were trying to do and I agree with you that there are a lot of problems on the site. I also agree that it would be nice to find a solution; I just don’t think there is an easy way forward in regards to a technical solution.

Gender is too problematic to base on a couple of user generated pictures. Age is even more difficult. You can validate a person is above a certain age (18) by use of third party credit card validation. I don’t think that is practical on this site and would incur unwarranted costs for the site.

Copies of birth certificates etc. is problematic in so many ways not to mention additional problems with data protection legislation, identity safety and plain justifiable reluctance.

I think the only real way is to raise the level of awareness and be sure people are taking sufficient caution and using sensible judgement.

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals
interpreted by your brain. Morpheus (The Matrix).

Will Try: Tea
Limits: Will not eat baby food.

Last edited by theone; 08-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.
theone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone View Post
I appreciate what you were trying to do and I agree with you that there are a lot of problems on the site. I also agree that it would be nice to find a solution; I just don’t think there is an easy way forward in regards to a technical solution.

Gender is too problematic to base on a couple of user generated pictures. Age is even more difficult. You can validate a person is above a certain age (18) by use of third party credit card validation. I don’t think that is practical on this site and would incur unwarranted costs for the site.

Copies of birth certificates etc. is problematic in so many ways not to mention additional problems with data protection legislation, identity safety and plain justifiable reluctance.

I think the only real way is to raise the level of awareness and be sure people are taking sufficient caution and using sensible judgement.
Personally, I'm not too caught up in thinking we need a proper super-duper high-tech Member Scanning Thing (technical name unconfirmed ); just a way to say, hey, actually, here's some proof I'm a guy, so take it or leave it. But then, I suppose that option's there anyway as I could simply upload a photo to my album.

Meh
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #18
theone
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Personally, I'm not too caught up in thinking we need a proper super-duper high-tech Member Scanning Thing (technical name unconfirmed ); just a way to say, hey, actually, here's some proof I'm a guy, so take it or leave it. But then, I suppose that option's there anyway as I could simply upload a photo to my album.

Meh
Yes that would be a solution in regards to a personal decision and it might go some way to alleviating some of the problems. However posting pictures that show your face on websites like this could be harmful to the person’s reputation in real life.

You could make those albums accessible only to your contacts but then that defeats the object as you already trust and know those people to some degree.

Real caution is needed in those circumstances when a relationship is taken outside the getDare environment. In those cases a person really must complete their own due diligence. It could be tragic if someone got into real trouble in regards to exchange of nude pictures or meeting another person because they thought getDare had validated them.

Every time you appear on web cam naked or send nude pics to others you are effectively giving the other person the potential to destroy your life to some degree. That’s why everyone needs to be careful. Most people here like yourself are smart enough to know this, but there are a lot who are not. I would hate to think that “validation” might be the reason for someone to think they need not take their own precautions.

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals

Last edited by theone; 08-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Nope; still far too in-depth. We're clearly on different wavelengths as to what a verification system would entail.
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #20
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone View Post
Every time you appear on web cam naked or send nude pics to others you are effectively giving the other person the potential to destroy your life to some degree. That’s why everyone needs to be careful. Most people here like yourself are smart enough to know this, but there are a lot who are not. I would hate to think that “validation” might be the reason for someone to think they need not take their own precautions.
Well just because someone's been proven to be male or female or above 18 or below it that doesn't mean they are a saint who you can trust completely and I'm sure people know that.

Quote:
Nope; still far too in-depth. We're clearly on different wavelengths as to what a verification system would entail.
And I believe it's pretty much what you think it is Marv' but I think you may have seen the original thread?

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
theone
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Exactly it would entail some confusion and a lot of ambiguity. However thats just my opinion.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #22
theone
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop View Post

Well just because someone's been proven to be male or female or above 18 or below it that doesn't mean they are a saint who you can trust completely and I'm sure people know that.

That’s a novelty, a saint of getDare. I think that's an oxymoron.

Last edited by theone; 08-29-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
muffinfairy
getDare Devil

Sport Raquet

Quote:
Personally, I'm not too caught up in thinking we need a proper super-duper high-tech Member Scanning Thing; just a way to say, hey, actually, here's some proof I'm a guy, so take it or leave it.
[scan]
[/scan]
Subject muffinfairy is not real.

It is mostly jelly.
muffinfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
depp
SysOp

I have a verification system about 90% implemented and already partially running on the site. I've never completed it because I've just always been on the fence about it. I'm worried about leaks and a possible false sense of security it might give some users. It seems like there is still a lot of interest though.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #25
Riley Taylor
getDare Sweetheart

I'm also physically male but consider myself genderqueer (neither male nor female, on a psychological level). I wouldn't really feel comfortable being forced to have what sex I am shown to everyone on here.
Riley Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #26
EvilBunny

If someone wants another person to "prove their gender", can't they do it in private channels without having a big flashing "Really A Girl" title under their name?

In my experience, people pretending to be the opposite sex are either good enough at it to get around such checks, or bad enough at it to get caught without them.
EvilBunny is offline   Reply With Quote