Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Old 09-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
dmoney
getDare Devil

Exclamation Users need to be careful of what they post in their profiles

Today, while looking up someone's profile, I noticed she had her full name within the IM accounts she had up, the state she lived in, and her full birthdate on display, posted up for the world to see. She also added that she was in high school and a softball star. These are all green lights for illicit activities. A simple Google search entering in her name, state, age, and softball pulled up a whole article giving away which school she goes to, and a lot of other personal information. This girl [username withheld] was only 14 years old. We all know about how much kidnapping and stanger danger goes on with the internet. Veteran users should warn newbies about posting such information on the open web. I reported this to a mod, but the user corrected the issue (based on me sending her a PM about it) before the mods could act. I am thinking this should be something that should be highlighted and warned about, based on the fact there are still users below 18 years of age here on getDare.

Last edited by dmoney; 09-01-2011 at 12:35 PM.
dmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
dmoney
getDare Devil

I strongly suggest all users, regardless of age, go into their user profiles and check what information they have posted about themselves. Cross-check the information against Google. You might be shocked to find that Google will out you quicker than you will ever know. Things such as IM accounts, location, and hobbies could come back to your real identity. Some of you people are saints in here, others are a bit more risque. However, you might be shocked if what you post here somehow gets linked to other things you have up on Google that might identify you based on what you thought was harmless information in your user profiles. Try to keep as anonymous as possible, lest you want some jerk knocking on your door for risky business.
dmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Star Shadows
Prodigy

I tend to be very careful with the information I post on the site and give out to the people on the site. As you said it's all too easy for people to get ahold of you and your details etc. People do need to be far more careful though.

Do not ask me for to be your slave, your mistress, or to give you truths or dares. You're wasting your time.

Informative threads:
Anonymous S/M advice service**PM ME**GET S/M ADVICE**

WORSHIPS RACHIE
Star Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
CollaredBlondie
getDare Addict

I totally agree, but this is why I use messenger accounts I created exclusively for getDare and why I've only ever told the exact town (where I live, not address or postcode or anything) to ONE person, whom I trust. I often refuse to not even give out my first name to most people (I believe just four getDare users know my first name).

Some people just trust too easily I think. Or think that because they haven't given their name, they're safe.

Blondie

23/F/UK
The most fun dare I've ever read: Click me!
I do not give dares.
I do not take dares.
I am not looking for an Owner.
And, seriously, what part of my username suggests that I'm a Domme?!

Any questions? (My 'ask me anything' thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophical
<spice girls> If ya wanna be my master, gotta get in my chat, being a wannabe is easy but I think you're quite a tw... </spice girls>
CollaredBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Manbearpig
getDare Expert

What I always like to point out to new users is the short series Your getDare account and you which can be found: http://www.getdare.com/bbs/tags.php?tag=getdare+account. Yeah, I know I wrote 3 of the 4, but I think they are basic tips that all users should know. I have, recently anyways, been really careful of what I post. Yeah, some users know my first name and the general area I live in, but no one really knows me. You must be careful because otherwise things are not going to be good for you

Will not do: Anal, Messy, Public

Kik:Mbpgetdare
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
LoveitorHateit

Yep, it is hard to stay completely anonymous on the web. I just found out, that the old e-mail address I use for GetDare, and other 'private' stuff, still has my full name when I send an e-mail. Woops!

So a tip to everyone who uses hotmail, even though it's a seperate one: Make sure you change your name in your account settings to an anonymous one, because people might see your full name otherwise in their Inbox.

You might think it's obvious, but I forgot it myself and I could also see full names of other people mailing me.
Chastity (I am permanently locked!), Bondage, Deepthroat, Anal, Pup Play, Hidden Public/Exhibitionism, Clothing control, Excercise, Spanking, Medium pain, Nipple play, Humiliation, Femboy, Rubber, Diapers, Pee play...

LIMITS :
Masturbation/Cumming, Wedgies, Scat, Messy, Extreme public, Blackmail
LoveitorHateit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
yours_slave
Distinguished Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yours_slave

Very good point dmoney! People doesn't have to be silly to post their personal information. But they do because they over trust others. Thank you very much for pointing that out! Hats off for the great advice!
yours_slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

Occasionally I come across some accounts (usually inactive and usually teenage girls) with a lot of personal info on it. If the account is inactive I usually just remove it myself, if it is active I usually just PM them about the "dangers on the interwebz" and they sort it out. Just don't hesitate to help anyone out because people might just miss something important.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #9
MasterPain
Distinguished Member

this is touchy, im a guy that is old enough that any personal information leaked is embarrasseding but not harmful.

but watch out about facebook!!! if your e-mail is on facebook, then your name is on google. then you can background check for public billing information, credit rating ect.

i have just checked my e-mail on google and apparently there is a site that extract e-mails from a website and getdare had most of their emails extrected :-(

here is what my search found :-(
MasterPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
sweetsong
getDare Succubus

Bug

A lot of sites, like FB, give you the option to stay out of google searches and stuff if you know how to set it right.

As of right now, if you try and search my name, you find nothing. (:

Thumbs up on the thread. Teenagers, well and everyone, should check out the privacy settings on all social networking sites and other sites before posting information.

siggy made by stellz

[03:54:06 PM] jamness: ‹@G.J.› She... kisses and stuff... shes weird.
[03:54:39 PM] G.J.: ‹@jamness› That seems like normal Sweets to me XD
sweetsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Kisune Karnon
GetDare Ninja

I found myself, but its on a site where you have to know the person then have to pay a service charge for the membership of the site to see everything about the person. But you'd have to know me pretty well to find it.

Male/Married/Straight/Switch/32/190 lbs

Likes and Limits
Toys (So Far)
PM Dares
Utilizing Keywords Version 3
Kik: Kisune22

My goal is to give good dares and receive them because that is how I enjoy the game.
I will send reports when I choose to or if I am asked.
If you give me a repeated dare or a "do your own dare,"
I will be very disappointed because I like to be surprised and challenged.

Kisune Karnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
rhode64
getDare Patriot

Send a message via AIM to rhode64 Send a message via MSN to rhode64 Send a message via Yahoo to rhode64
Default being careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
Today, while looking up someone's profile, I noticed she had her full name within the IM accounts she had up, the state she lived in, and her full birthdate on display, posted up for the world to see. She also added that she was in high school and a softball star. These are all green lights for illicit activities. A simple Google search entering in her name, state, age, and softball pulled up a whole article giving away which school she goes to, and a lot of other personal information. This girl [username withheld] was only 14 years old. We all know about how much kidnapping and stanger danger goes on with the internet. Veteran users should warn newbies about posting such information on the open web. I reported this to a mod, but the user corrected the issue (based on me sending her a PM about it) before the mods could act. I am thinking this should be something that should be highlighted and warned about, based on the fact there are still users below 18 years of age here on getDare.
well spotted here yes agree newbies do need to know this and as you say especially under 18s so please people be careful alot of strange people out there.
rhode64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alert, personal information, perversion, profile