Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

I Love Valentines Day, so there!

Posted 02-14-2018 at 02:15 PM by Butterfly
Updated 03-15-2018 at 07:37 PM by Butterfly

There are three types of people; those who love Valentines day, those who hate it, and those who ignore it. I am one of those people who LOVE it! Normally on Valentines Day I will buy small treats for my friends and family, and something bigger for my partner. Nothing huge, but something that has some meaning. I will usually cook something special, and I like to make myself chocolate covered strawberries. I also just enjoy spending the day with the people I love. Oh, and of course I will be wearing hearts or pink or something festive. I love celebrating love.

I personally don't care how you feel about it. You have every right to spend the day celebrating love, or anti love or even ignore it completely if you wish. What I do have a problem with is people making me feel bad or guilty for loving valentines day.

Yes, Valentines Day has become a commercialized holiday. But honestly, which holiday hasn't? The same people who will condemn Valentine's Day will be the people who dress in green and binge drink on St. Patrick's Day or who buy gifts on Christmas. Society has managed to commercialize every event from our birth to our death, but that isn't a reason not to celebrate.

Valentine's Day can be an excuse for people to buy flowers and chocolates and cards. But it doesn't have to be about spending money. The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with showing somebody you care about them. You can do that by buying them jewelry, chocolate, a card or flowers. Some people choose to make something for their valentine instead. Others will do something nice instead: maybe give a massage, or do a nice deed.

I know that sometimes people find the holiday depressing. They are sad that they are not in a relationship or maybe they are going through a breakup. But there is nothing that says valentines has to be about celebrating romantic love. I think it is a great day to celebrate all forms of love; friends, siblings, parents, coworkers, and the most important: yourself! You don't need a partner to buy you flowers, you can buy them for yourself.

I know that we shouldn't need one day a year to tell people we love them. It should be done consistently throughout the year. However, I think that Valentine's day is a great day to take the time to remind ourselves to make other people feel special, show them what they mean to us. We all live terribly busy lives, and sometimes we forget to say an extra "I love you". So what is wrong with having a holiday remind us. We do it on Mothers Day and Fathers Day. It doesn't make the love that we show any less special because it is done on a day we are expected to. Of course, if that is the only day you show your love, then it can be a problem.

My point is, I love Valentine's Day. I choose to celebrate today. You may not, and that is perfectly fine. I promise I won't force it on you or make you feel bad about not celebrating, but don't make me feel guilty or bad for doing it my way.

The amount of negativity I have experienced today has been astounding. Not only things directed at me: "Oh, you celebrate Valentine's Day?" *gives me a look* but negative things about themselves: "I will be forever alone" ... this is NOT ok. Love yourself today, tomorrow, and always. Love others today, tomorrow, and always. Don't judge people or make them feel bad. Just do you!

Now, while I am here and on the subject:

To my husband, thank you for being a wonderful and amazing man. You are kind,
patient, loving, and I am the luckiest girl in the world to have found you.

To my worm, you are so wonderful. I honestly am in awe of the trust you place in me.
You are strong, brave and courageous. On top of that, you are just a wonderful friend and I am glad that you are in my life.

To my friends, thank you to each one of you for your love and support. I could not survive without you all!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg valentine-1172662_1280.jpg (67.9 KB, 239 views)
Views 788 Comments 10
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 10

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Valentine's doesn't mean anything to me ("Valentine's - by the people who brought you Thanksgiving!"); in my neck of the global wood it has no meaning beyond the commercial. But it has already been forced on us. Shit, they even have D-Day/Omaha Beach cartoons in the newspaper, and 4th of July specials in shops, and Nine-Eleven remembrance stuff [which confuses people, because what happened in November?]...

Sorry. I guess you just found one of my triggers.

But... well... happy Hallmark to you too!
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cstelle View Comment
    Valentine's doesn't mean anything to me ("Valentine's - by the people who brought you Thanksgiving!"); in my neck of the global wood it has no meaning beyond the commercial. But it has already been forced on us. Shit, they even have D-Day/Omaha Beach cartoons in the newspaper, and 4th of July specials in shops, and Nine-Eleven remembrance stuff [which confuses people, because what happened in November?]...

Sorry. I guess you just found one of my triggers.

But... well... happy Hallmark to you too!
    I agree that it is commercialized and I am not saying that it is right for that to be, but I think it is a great reminder for myself to take the time and spoil myself and the people I love. Not necessarily with material things, but with love and attention and specialness. And if people choose not to participate, that is completely ok. I just ask that those people don't make me feel bad for wanting to.

I have received so many negative comments today because I have chosen to participate, and they are not needed. Spread love, not hate!

I won't wish you a Happy Valentine's Day, but I will say I am glad to have you in my life. So I will sprinkle some love in your direction.
  3. Old Comment

It's commercial. It's sappy. Embrace it! Today i'm binging romantic films and tomorrow i will indulge on cut-price chocolate.
    I've got no-one to be romatic with (again) but so what. I can love myself and my friends.
    Taking the joy out of someone else's day, not nice people. I bet they don't even like Halloween! (when you can binge scary movies and indulge on cut-price candy)
  4. Old Comment
    Oh! - I didn't mean my thing to be a downer, a negative comment! I meant to write something funny (but with the same point of Hallm... Valentine's not being a thing over here), but then I was reminded of these other stupid things, and then I sort of lost my way in the flippancy....

I'm so sorry!

Seriously: happy special day to you! May it involve a lot of chocolate (or the equivalent)! [I recently made the mistake of gifting chocolate to a person who loves it - but can't eat it. The chocolate box became an elephant in the room, and - long story short - we did not have sex.]
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hammarling View Comment

It's commercial. It's sappy. Embrace it! Today i'm binging romantic films and tomorrow i will indulge on cut-price chocolate.
    I've got no-one to be romatic with (again) but so what. I can love myself and my friends.
    Taking the joy out of someone else's day, not nice people. I bet they don't even like Halloween! (when you can binge scary movies and indulge on cut-price candy)
    I am sensing a theme ... want to come binge on half price candy with me tomorrow?
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cstelle View Comment
    Oh! - I didn't mean my thing to be a downer, a negative comment! I meant to write something funny (but with the same point of Hallm... Valentine's not being a thing over here), but then I was reminded of these other stupid things, and then I sort of lost my way in the flippancy....

I'm so sorry!

Seriously: happy special day to you! May it involve a lot of chocolate (or the equivalent)! [I recently made the mistake of gifting chocolate to a person who loves it - but can't eat it. The chocolate box became an elephant in the room, and - long story short - we did not have sex.]
    No problem. And thank you. I will be going to make chocolate covered strawberries after work. Eating the chocolates probably would have been just as good as sex anyways :P
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Butterfly View Comment
    Eating the chocolates probably would have been just as good as sex anyways :P
    I didn't even get the chocolate... (And now I'll spend the rest of my life wondering about what she did with it. Dang!)
  8. Old Comment
    Happy Valentine's Day! In a friendly, purely platonic sense.
  9. Old Comment
    Happy Valentines Day Gorgeous. Personally I just feel bad on Valentines day because even my friends don't tell me they love me. But please do not let my antiValentine Spirit ruin your day
    Posted 02-14-2018 at 05:33 PM by Wedgiebondagebabe Wedgiebondagebabe is offline
  10. Old Comment
    Happy Valentines Day dear Princess! You are amazingly wonderful and fantastic and I couldn't have found a better friend and Domme. You are in fact the best friend I ever found on-line!

I wish you all the best fortune and love in your life. Oh and lots of kink and toys too of course!