Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Memoirs of a Dork

I have a lot of things I should talk about and it is easier for me to do that on a random website to a bunch of strangers. You can comment on my stuff or not, but the majority of my blog posts will be personal things that are difficult for me to talk about out loud.
Rate this Entry

Punishment and Penalty

Posted 08-13-2015 at 10:05 PM by techiegirl

If you spend ten minutes in chat you will probably notice how often someone will say something along the lines of, "Looking for someone to punish me. My kik is *insert kik name here*" Now, while this might be somewhat annoying, it's fine to want to find someone to play with.

However, my quarrel is with the casual use of the word 'punishment'. People will also post threads asking for a *like of their choice* punishment and then shoot things down because they don't like them. Let's be clear, you are not supposed to enjoy a punishment.

If you enjoy it then you are not being punished. Of course, some of these people may simply mean they want a task of *insert like of their choosing* or that they want to be dominated and made to do a *insert like of their choosing* task.

But if that's the case, don't call it a punishment, because it is not a punishment.

What Sinister does, and maybe he doesn't even know he's doing it, is he calls things like that a penalty. The difference being that maybe I don't really want to do a penalty, but if he pushes a little I will.

For example, I'm bratty (spoilers) and when I'm bratty to Sinister (you may have witnessed this rare thing in chat) he will give me a penalty. He'll make me wear my kitty collar for an hour or describe an embarrassing moment publicly. Things I sort of want to do, but I need to be pushed into doing them. Things that turn me on, but I won't admit it. A penalty is a response to me being bratty and wanting to be dominated.

Now, a punishment, for me at least, is much more serious. There aren't too many times when I ask for a punishment because I usually don't need one or Sinister will provide a gentle one before I need to ask.

But recently, I felt I messed up in a scene. He disagrees, but I felt at fault and like I had disappointed him. It feels horrible. I had this awful guilt and shame in the back of my mind and I did things, almost subconsciously, as a sort of self inflicted punishment.

When my dom punishes me it's so I can stop punishing myself. I thought he was going to be mad at me or disappointed and when he said he wasn't, I didn't believe him. I needed to be punished because I had failed and even if Sinister didn't agree with that he understood that my guilt was basically driving me insane.

After a very long conversation, during which he stated several times that I was not at fault, he eventually agreed to give me a punishment. It's such intense relief. Like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

Maybe it's different for other people, but I only want a punishment when I believe that I've ruined everything. The only time I need a punishment is when my dom has to let me know he forgives me because otherwise I don't believe him.
Posted in Personal, Scenes
Views 1927 Comments 4
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Thank you very much, you have stated this very well. A word that I sometimes use to describe what you referred to as a penalty is "funishment". In other words, a mock punishment that is for fun. It distinguishes between the two while still conveying what the intent is.
  2. Old Comment
    "Punishment" for means is associated with disappointment and being bad. It is not something I would ever willingly do, and I break down at the mention of the word. Asslvr and I have started to use the word "consequence" for if I don't obey rules or forget them. I think what the people who come into chat asking for, or who post threads for punishments are really "Funishments". It is a fantasy of theirs to be punished, but they don't want it to be actually terrible, more of a fun, roleplay type of thing.
  3. Old Comment
    You have perfectly captured why I ultimately want to be punished when I deserve it. My guilt is usually so unbearable that anything would be better, and the only way to help the guilt subside is to do something to atone or repent for my errors. I think the justification between play and true punishments has to be made, and it's a line that gets blurred a lot on this site.
  4. Old Comment
    Yes, people can speak too loosely when it comes to punishment, and it's good to have a distinction.

It also makes me happy to see writing about punishment as a means of negative state removal for the submissive, rather than something purely inflicted by a dominant. It is not to be enjoyed, but can still serve a greater, and loving, purpose.