Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Jacques

Rate this Entry

So I hate my job

Posted 02-08-2012 at 04:31 PM by Jacques

The last two weeks, I have been seriously fed up working- I go between completing meaningless projects for my boss's turf war with another department, and endless menial work that requires almost no effort, but takes forever...

On top of that, my boss has apparently decided to sideline me- I'm being cut out of an new projects or any work that could even be considered interesting, the past two weeks he has barely spoken to me, and yesterday, he actually went through the hassle of offering everyone else in our area a sweet, except me- and then to rub my nose in it, turned to me and moaned at me for not putting my holiday (booked the day before) on his calendar.... Just so sad and petty- it really is like working in a primary school class...

Gahhh....
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5552 Comments 5
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    don't worry mate, jobs are shit for the rest of us too

seriously, if its that bad, you could quit or if you decide to stay start to keep a diary of the bad stuff that goes on. Workplace bullying is a serious problem, and the only way to deal with it effectively (note: curling up or otherwise thinking you'll get by is not effective, not in the long run). Once you keep a diary of all the crap you get dealt, then you can take it to HR when you're really had enough and they can deal with it. Turning up without any 'evidence' will not let them deal with it properly - it becomes easy for the bully to say it was all just misunderstanding and they'll try to communicate better with you. Turn up with a long list, and you'll get some form of satisfaction, even if its just to rub the bully's nose in it on your way out the door.

You should also try to have a formal chat with him to express your dissatisfaction, possibly ask for a transfer to another department if possible. Or, go see HR and just have an informal chat with them - but note that they are not "your friends", they will be more concerned about the company, not your welfare (just so you don't get any expectations that they'll back you straight away)

Note, if he's doing this to you today, chances are he'll be doing it to someone else sooner or later. You have a duty to deal with it now.
  2. Old Comment
    so what changed in the last 2 weeks? Just another thought of my own...is this a career or just money to pay the bills? If the pay is the same and you show up from 8 to 5..do your job
    (whatever they decide that is for the day) then go home, then enjoy the money for less work. However, if it is in your opinion as bittenkiss pointed out workplace bullying by all means break it off in his ass
  3. Old Comment
    Thanks for the comments- as you say, it is the same for a lot of people.

I should have said in the original post, I'm actively seeking other jobs, and have interviews lined up- I have no intention of sitting there and taking it- but as mouseman asks, it is just a job- I have no real desire to stay at the company, or I'd deal with it head on- I just needed to vent in the meantime...

Bittenkiss- not sure that a long list of things helps- if anything, if you've sat down and compiled a list, a HR hearing is going to ask why you didn't report any of it, and absent evidence from others it will look like you've built up a grudge against the boss. But on the other hand as you say- if you report incident by incident, it's chalked up to a misunderstanding, and the more you report, the more it looks like you're either whinging, or out to get him. Ultimately, the company pay him more, and will find it much easier to get rid off/ replace me. This stuff is never fair...

I think your point about likely to do it to someone else it spot on- and in fact there are things other have said that suggest he did something similar to the person in the job before me- but it's very hard to prove these things, and in a his word against mine situation he wins by virtue of rank...
  4. Old Comment
    Just to ensure this blog has a happy ending- I just accepted an offer for a new job- which I can only hope will be better!

Thanks for the advice!
  5. Old Comment
    Happy for you!
    I hope you enjoy your new job.