Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 08-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Pingu
Be afraid

Default Ask about Islam

I appreciate this is a very random thread but it follows on from MBP's "Ground Zero" blog. A lot of times when I meet new people, I get asked questions about Islam and stuff that people don't know about.

I am not going to preach anything, simply answer any questions that you have. You can either post below or PM me and I'll answer.

(I understand this is a bit of a risque thread, if you have genuine questions then please feel free to ask. If you wish to bash Islam or any other religion in this thread then please go elsewhere.
The following 6 users say Thank You to Pingu for this post:
Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
equilibrium

I heard that Muslims don't like keeping pets, because all animals have a purpose and being a pet isn't one of them. (which i think is quite reasonable) is it true?

This thread reminded me of one one another forum, and they kept saying muslin. (type of material)
limitsno scat, messy things vomit illegal, beastiality public, family wedgies
equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
getDare Sweetheart

No dogs, no pigs. But most people here keep cats. But they don't like, restrict them to a compound. So it's more like taking in stray cats and giving them an open home and food and stuff...

Man, my penis is so big if I laid it out on a keyboard it'd go all the way from A to Z

Ohhhhsnap.

Hello.
444 <3 Softeyes
and we're in a relationship.
So, advances towards softeyes would very much not be appreciated.
TQTQTQ
444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Do Muslims ever talk about the Indian Independence and is it in their Holy Book at all?
lokelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Pingu
Be afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by equilibrium View Post
I heard that Muslims don't like keeping pets, because all animals have a purpose and being a pet isn't one of them. (which i think is quite reasonable) is it true?
Basically what 444 said, animals and such are seen to be "unclean" so they're not generally kept as pets. Animals must be treated well though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokelake View Post
Do Muslims ever talk about the Indian Independence and is it in their Holy Book at all?
No it isn't in there, why would they want to talk about it? The independence event didn't involve every single Muslim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcitycity View Post
Those who think having the mosque at ground zero.
This isn't the thread for that discussion. Use MBP's blog for that.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
nellybell
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

What are the basic beliefs? I know next to nothing about the religion.

There was a nelly,
a very smelly enchanted nelly
sweet as vegemite could be
ahaha just kidding, but still loved just the same <3
nellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Manbearpig
getDare Expert

Isn't it true that Jesus have some kind of significance in the Islam or was I just imagining things

Edit: Btw, very good topic Pingu.

Will not do: Anal, Messy, Public

Kik:Mbpgetdare
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Pingu
Be afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellybell View Post
What are the basic beliefs? I know next to nothing about the religion.
Islam means peace/submission. It's declaration of faith is that there is only one God and Prophet Muhammad as his Messenger. Its said to be one of the three religions from Moses (the other two being Judaism and Christianity). Islam believes that the Torah and the Bible were "tainted" and the Qur'an is the only correct book. Hence why Islam shares a lot of figures with these two religions.

There are 5 Pillars of Islam. You must pray 5 times a day, you must complete a pilgrimage to Makkah (holy city) once in your lifetime, you must fast one month a year, you must give 2.5% of your earnings to charity and believe in the declaration of faith.

That's pretty much a very short overview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
Isn't it true that Jesus have some kind of significance in the Islam or was I just imagining things

Edit: Btw, very good topic Pingu.
He does indeed. Muslims believe him to be one of 25 Prophets who came to Earth and he is one of the most revered. Whereas Christians believe that he is the Son of God, Muslims just believe that he was "human" and a Prophet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 View Post
Okay... Lets start with...

YOU'RE MUSLIM? O_O COOL.
Yes I am (Sorry I missed that question before)

Last edited by Pingu; 08-12-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Why do Muslims where the hat-like clothing on their heads and do both genders have to wear it?

How often do Muslims have services?

When you say Muslims believe in Peace, is that similar to the Christian teaching?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
despite the comments above.. the reality of a faith or religion is how it is practiced in real life.

that means that islam currently along with all religions in past, are not religions or faiths of 'peace/etc'.

Islam today is a religion promoting intolerance, and murder.
Same as christianity & catholoism, in the past when it raped/murdered in the name of its faith.

This isnt a bash,but a observation of how the faith is practiced.

Its how its is pracriced is what truely defines a faith or religion, not the defination of it.
Aannnd How many observations have you 'observed' on the practice of this faith?

Just because a group of people-hating muslims drove an airplane into a building does not account for the sum of the whole religion.

If that is so, then does Christianity promotes intolerance, hate and murder too just cause the Westborough Baptist Church likes people dying in war?

Man, my penis is so big if I laid it out on a keyboard it'd go all the way from A to Z

Ohhhhsnap.

Hello.
444 <3 Softeyes
and we're in a relationship.
So, advances towards softeyes would very much not be appreciated.
TQTQTQ
444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
Pingu
Be afraid

Quote:
Why do Muslims where the hat-like clothing on their heads and do both genders have to wear it?

How often do Muslims have services?

When you say Muslims believe in Peace, is that similar to the Christian teaching?
The "topi" is generally worn during prayer to show reverence to God. Women generally wear the Hijab to do the same & preserve their modesty.

As said previously, Muslims pray 5 times a day and you can attend the Mosque for this or pray at home. On Fridays, the "lunchtime" prayer is compulsory to attend the mosque and a sermon is usually given.

In terms of Christianity, you'll have to explain what you mean by peace in that religion.

Quote:
As 444 has said, please can you elaborate on this because it's pretty bold statement and you haven't said anything to back it up in any way. I'm not not sure how many mosques you have visited, imams you have listened to or even Muslims you know but your statement is grossly inaccurate.

There are almost 1.5 billion Muslims in this world - how many do you know to be intolerant or murderers? The answer is very few in comparison to the overall figure. Stereotyping a whole religion on the actions of a few is incredibly silly. Do you believe the Catholic church promotes paedophilia?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
Pingu
Be afraid

Quote:
90% of all islamic comments publically have been all about interoleranance and domination of women or similar... the moderates of islam rarely fight the extemeists...and this colors what the religion is about.
Where? In the media? I'll give you a rhetorical question. What makes more news, an Imam preaching peace and respect for women or someone saying "kill women". It's of course the latter. I'm afraid from reading your reply, you are the victim of the great thing that is called media. Post 9/11 and the 7/7 attacks in London - all the Muslim assocations here condemned the attack but they didn't get in the news yet if you looked on their site, it was there for all to see. The mosques I went to that Friday after each event all condemened the attacks, something that was echoed over most of the Muslim word. I accept that not every Muslim condemned it but I can assure you that the vast majority did. Just because you can not see that happening, it doesn't mean that it isn't. Again it's just stereotyping.

Quote:
Also, of the muslims I do know, I know several who are secretly christian but publically muslim soley to protect family still in middle east... its a fact that their family will be murdered if they are found out to be part of a christian family.
How long did you work in the Middle East? How many such killings did you see? In most Middle Eastern and Asian countries, there are churches and there are Christian minorities who practice their faith without interference at all. Honour killings by the by are more cultural rather than religous. Christians/Jews are "People of the Book" and it's writen in the Qur'an that these people shall not be abused because they believe in the same God.

Quote:
The experience includes direct association by me with friends/family members who had to 'dump' their relationship with a islamic spouse, per the spouses insistance on taking the kids to middle east to visit family (90% of those kids never come back, as documented).
Care to provide the document? Sorry but that's bolocks. I have two friends from uni who are mixed race and have been to Pakistan without issue. My cousin has married a Christian guy and has visited Pakistan without any issue. Would like to see the evidence of this because it sounds like more media related lies.

Quote:
When a major leader/preacher/etc.... promotes murder or similar and even insists on sharia law ... its obvious that they are basterdizing the religion to suit their political goals and not the faith.
Exactly so why are you calling Islam a violent and intolerant religion? (Though there are very few "major" leaders).

Quote:
But note, that both koran and bible both promote violence in context.
Self-defense it promotes, not violence. Out of context it may promote violence.

Quote:
I confronted two popular christian converts who were known to be converts to christianity till I found out they were still financing major efforts in middle east to help terrorists.
No offence but so far in your post, you know terrorists, a person whose wife was murdered under Sharia law, a person who has lost their kids in the Middle East and someone who has been threatened to be murdered. You'll accept that I am finding this a bit hard to believe.

Anyway, as I said at the start. If you want to "bash" the religion then this isn't the thread for it. You can PM me if you want.

Last edited by Pingu; 08-13-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
davgrant
Distinguished Member

Quote:
despite the comments above.. the reality of a faith or religion is how it is practiced in real life.

that means that islam currently along with all religions in past, are not religions or faiths of 'peace/etc'.

Same as christianity & catholoism, in the past when it raped/murdered in the name of its faith.

This isnt a bash,but a observation of how the faith is practiced.

Its how its is pracriced is what truely defines a faith or religion, not the defination of it.

I am a Hindu and an Indian so according to common belief amongst the ignorants I hate Muslims and Pakistanis.

Now with that out of the way. I think it is utterly wrong to say that Muslim promotes intolerance infact I doubt any religion promotes that. There are always going to be people who distort the facts or the scriptures to suit their own needs and this does not happen only in Islam.

It happens everywhere be that person be Muslim, Hindu, Jew, Arab, Christian, I can just go on. It all boils down to education and if a person is not educated it is very easy to brain wash and feed him lies which leads to the fanaticism that evolves into terrorism.

For me all religion promote Peace and tolerance. I don't claim my religion is the best neither do I support views that any religion is best. Religion is meant to be a way for you to reach your peace and inner self. If Islam helps you get there then that so be it, if it is Hinduism then well done to you. it can be any religion or none that helps you reach your goals of spirituality.

Peace is always the same in any religion and I am a bit surprised that some think that any religion would define peace as something different. How can so fundamental a concept be defined differently?

There is a saying that says "Ignorance is a bliss!" I am sorry Ignorance is the reason why we see so much of fanaticism in the name of religion and anyone who tries to justify that an act of violence and decadence in the name of justice is right that he is the biggest bigoted fool.

We talk about 9/11 or 26/11 (Mumbai) terror attacks by terrorists who happened to follow Islam and have stereotyped Muslims as god-forsaken and murderers. Heck I have heard and seen many cases where if the person had a big beard like many followers of Islam do then he is invariably harrassed terming him as a terrorist.

Chrisitanity has had a bad past. Its wrong to term a religion as violent. No religion promotes that rather the followers who twist it to their own gains. I am neither promoting a religion here or denouncing any.

All I want to say is that every religion is promoting its own path of peace and tolerance and spirituality. All of them have been created by humans. And humans by default are bound to err so ergo all religions will have its flaw. Don't stone the religion but rather those who in the name of religion do what is against that written in its scriptures.
davgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post

In terms of Christianity, you'll have to explain what you mean by peace in that religion.

I think Peace in Christianity is not trying to get anyone mad at you or to hate you. Try to be kind to them and be loving.

I have one more question: Is it a sin to take Alla's name in vein?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #15
Pingu
Be afraid

Quote:
I think Peace in Christianity is not trying to get anyone mad at you or to hate you. Try to be kind to them and be loving.
Yes, there are similarities. The turn the other cheek principle and forgiveness is taught in the Qur'an. It is one of the aims of Ramadan (ongoing) not to make anyone mad and not get mad yourself. A practice which should be done all year round.

Quote:
I have one more question: Is it a sin to take Alla's name in vein?
Yes it is.

Advertisements
Kink Talk