Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 09-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #1576
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Wow what a waste of Time.
Firstly. Fuck off using Sight as your only bloody fear factor! Oh no there's no lights we are scared! No no no!
Secondly. Plot holes all over the place. So what a bag moved? I put my rubbish out and a bag moved i think i must have knocked it and then life goes on. Plus she got no more mention after saying she didn't want to be alone. In addition the fact it was a doll house was so painstakingly obvious! And where did it start? Yes because he didn't want to be rejected, But he needed help before then so they thought about helping a healthy child? And a strange man comes into your room and makes your scary toys move by themselves...
Thirdly. Scary episode? Using Dolls, Darkness, elevators, dogs and every other phobia you can imagine. So what? Too much in one go and none of it was set up correctly.
Fourthly. The Dolls. I saw the trailer and thought yes this should be good. But no. They were a knock off Clockwork monster. The movements and there changing device/killing identical to one another.
Fifthly. I'v been letting it slip because of the great music produced in The Impossible Astronaut but now we need it. Gold and Foster are been stretched by Torchwood (yet another show where the music is well lacking in effectiveness) But Doctor Who has just remixes of series five music which well pisses me off thinking i can heard the beast below but i can see a cupboard..
These are just some things that are needed to improve the series since the Break.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #1577
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

And I thought Gallifrey Base was negative. Fuck. Ing. Hell.

Lighten up.

My review's in the normal place
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:00 AM   #1578
Puggsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
And I thought Gallifrey Base was negative. Fuck. Ing. Hell.

Lighten up.

My review's in the normal place
"But first things first, do you have any jammy dodgers?"

I enjoyed this episode. It might not be in some peoples top 10 list, but it was, to my way of thinking, a solid piece of weekly Who. If I was 10 again, I would have been just as scared as I was by giant slugs coming out of the ground during the Pertwee Era, which often gave me nightmares! Great times!

The dolls were creepy, the acting was great, and I've got a feeling that the Doctor will be revisiting this family again sometime soon.

As for Torchwood, Ep9 actually starts to go places. Those of you in the UK make sure you catch it.
Puggsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #1579
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

I would like in Doctor Who too have one monster where it is scary because of what it does. I'm sick of Humanoid monster where the wardrobe departments gone mental. Cybermen, Daleks, Silurains, Siltheen, The Master.
All classic monsters and none depend on image (though in some it helps).
Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #1580
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

My review and rating of Torchwood Series 1.

Everything changes-7/10. Pretty much the entire mark comes from the discovery of Jacks immortality. It's pure genius and sets up pretty much endless stories.

Day One-10/10. When served as a double punch to open the series it was magnificent. It was Doctor Who adult. Sex, violence and bad ass attitude along with a sneaky solution.

Ghost Machine-7/10. Poorly delivered i felt. Owen appeared to be bipolar in the episode but there was a lot of humanity and funny moments. Shame a lot of the story dragged at times.

Cyberwoman- 9/10. Nice to see Ianto in the frame at last. Agreed it doesn't make sense for her to be alive nor does it make sense that the Torchwood team knew nothing of her. But it is a great episode. It showed slacking off work and work banter in depth. And it just felt like a good episode.

Small World-6/10. Yet another poorly delivered episode i found but it was nice to see Jacks old life been mentioned as well as what would become permanently mentioned 'corner of the eye'.

Countrycide-10/10. Showing humanity for the monster it is was an unusual and brilliant twist. (It is now over used but at the time it was unique.)

Greeks Bearing Gifts-7/10. Nice to finally learn more about Tosh and a truly interesting insight into what we would do if we got what we wished for.

They Keep Killing Suize-7/10. When we forget about someone or something it turns around to bite us. This was likewise. Nicely demonstrating the relationship between Jack and Gwen. But nothing against it or for it mostly.

Random Shoes-5/10. Not going to lie i forgot about this episode mostly. But it sadly was very much like 'Love and Monsters'.

Out Of Time-8/10. One of few emotionally touching episodes i actually like. An insight into the 50's and the culture clash of now and then. Finally showed what Owen was really like and it was worth the wait.

Combat-7/10. Demonstrating just how hurt you can get in love and the consequences. Little bits of humor but mostly filled with spy stuff and ow Torchwood is secret( This is a lost cause from series two onwards).

Captain Jack Harkness-8/10. The dangers of time travel are reveled and the are a lot of hints to 'Back To The Future'. This isn't bad in fact it makes it all very interesting.

End Of Days-9/10. Would have been higher if it wasn't for the silly end where Jack just vanishes and the Poor Directing in killing the monster. Bar that fun and interesting.

Series one is my favorite. One they don't over kill Jack or emphasize he is mortal. Two Torchwood is secretive. Three they aren't trying to please anyone.Torchwood is Torchwood the adult Doctor Who set in Modern day Cardiff.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #1581
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
I would like in Doctor Who too have one monster where it is scary because of what it does. I'm sick of Humanoid monster where the wardrobe departments gone mental. Cybermen, Daleks, Silurains, Siltheen, The Master.
All classic monsters and none depend on image (though in some it helps).
I beg to differ... the Dalek image is 50% of their popularity; as is the recognisable Cyber-look for the Cybermen. They really do depend on the image. For example, if the Daleks weren't the pepperpot shape, they would've just been any old ruthless creatures. It's the design that actually made people fall in love/become utterly scared of them; it's one of the most iconic designs on TV.

Plus, Slitheen... classic monster? What?

Many classic monsters had a humanoid form/look about them, y'know...

Zygons, the Master, Cybermen, Sontarans, the Destroyer, Davros, the Great Vampires, Meglos, Skaroth, Draconians, Morbius... to name but a few from throughout the classic series.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #1582
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Sadly the Slitheen will become one.
But at the time it wasn't there image that was used to fear people. It is now but that's because we recognize them instantiously. The werewolf was the closest i believe.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #1583
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Sadly the Slitheen will become one.
But at the time it wasn't there image that was used to fear people. It is now but that's because we recognize them instantiously. The werewolf was the closest i believe.
The Slitheen won't become classic. Just remembered as the RTD-era monster. Creatures like the Ood and the Weeping Angels will be remembered more.

And yes it was... Daleks... it was the design that people latched on to. That was the fear. In fact, the first shot of a Dalek was from its POV simply showing a plunger and Barbara screaming. That's using the image of the Dalek.

Then the Cybermen... their image was definitely used as the fear factor because they were once human, like us. Their image makes them.

Similar with the others.

And for every 'symbolistic' monster (by that, I mean ones you can't see, like the Vashta Nerada) of the new series, there was one in the classic series... Megara, Eternals, (arguably) Rutans, the Mandragora Helix, etc.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #1584
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

But there is nothing new. I guess maybes I'm getting too picky about my monsters.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #1585
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
But there is nothing new. I guess maybes I'm getting too picky about my monsters.
Whaddya mean, there's nothing new?

Moffat is slightly more abstract but his time with the show has given us...

Gasmask children, clockwork droids, Vashta Nerada, Weeping Angels, Atraxi, Fish Vampires, the Dream Lord, the Krayfaysis thingy, the Alliance, the Siren, the Flesh, Kovarian, Teselecta... not bad going. Moffat just likes to focus on the ideas, rather than the image (which RTD clearly prefered).
Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #1586
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Pretty much all of them are based around there image though. Perhaps not the Empty Child but most of them it over uses there image. I like the Silence a lot though which is weird.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #1587
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Pretty much all of them are based around there image though. Perhaps not the Empty Child but most of them it over uses there image. I like the Silence a lot though which is weird.
Your point is, frankly, bizarre. Monsters can have their fear factor in image, concept, or both.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #1588
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Well my mind has been blown. The Doctor dies at Lake Silenico april 2011.
miracle day takes places March 20th 2011... and lasts at least two months....So A how did the Doctor die and how is he going to get out of this one? So are they going to explain everything that has happened in the final episodes... TOrchwood and Doctor who appeared to have crashed together accidentally and unless time is rewritten which i will be peeved at i shall not be impressed by this monumental cock up.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #1589
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Well my mind has been blown. The Doctor dies at Lake Silenico april 2011.
miracle day takes places March 20th 2011... and lasts at least two months....So A how did the Doctor die and how is he going to get out of this one? So are they going to explain everything that has happened in the final episodes... TOrchwood and Doctor who appeared to have crashed together accidentally and unless time is rewritten which i will be peeved at i shall not be impressed by this monumental cock up.
It seems Torchwood has divided off from its sister show completely; RTD and Moffat apparently exchanged notes so they didn't clash but this obviously didn't work well. Another reason to bash this series of Torchwood

(That said, if you wanna argue, well, they did burn the Doctor's body )

It won't be explained though. Torchwood has its own universe, and DW is seperate. (Unless they do go for the ''cocked up timeline'' route which does actually seem likely considering episode 13...).
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #1590
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Since Steven Moffat took over Doctor Who, we've seen a variety of themes and overriding concepts weaved into several episodes of Series Five and Six. The most obvious themes revolve around mirrors and perception, doubles and misperception. Interlinking with this is the symbol of the eye / eyeball, and eyes have been featured many times in Moffat Who...

Read my full essay here

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood