Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com > Suggestion Zone

Old 12-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
gamerdom

Default Defining the rules of "bumping"

First of all, let me preface this by saying that, while I think the whole 30 day rule is completely unnecessary, I understand it's a rule and there are arguments for it.

My problem with this is when ad creators get knocked for "bumping their thread without adding new information." It’s very ambiguous what counts as “new information”. When an ad creator responds with something like, "I'm still looking; I thought I found someone, but it didn't work out," to me that is new information, and it's information I need to know as someone who could be interested in their ad. There are other situations like this that have gotten knocked, as well.

I'm not saying get rid of the 30 day rule (though I would be interested in a discussion on that, also); I'm saying let’s be transparent on what "bumping without adding new information" really means. The rules of the slave/master area were created in 2009 and haven't been edited since 2012 (when bolding was added to highlight areas).

This is, of course, only exacerbated by the moderators. Merging posts in an active ad should never be necessary. Why isn’t the original poster capable of determining whether the ad should be edited, or added on to?
Old 12-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
RiskyFlame
Longtime User

Default Explanation of the 30-days-waiting rule

Rule of patience
The 30-days-waiting rule is put in place so everyone gets an equal chance. Put in other words, people who are serious in trying to find somebody gets the same attention (first-page time) as those who bump their personal (= s/M ad) daily. To avoid the horny guys (and gals) from bumping their personal daily, they are only allowed to bump once every 30 days.
  • 17 December 2016 - New personal created.
  • 18 December 2016 - New post (bumping): forgot to mention something: ...
  • 19 December 2016 - New post (bumping): "still looking."
  • 20 December 2016 - New post (bumping): found someone but didn't work out, still looking.
  • 21 December 2016 - New post (bumping): "Please don't message me when ..."
  • 22 December 2016 - New post (bumping): I also like [new kink]
  • 23 December 2016 - New post (bumping): "Still looking."
  • To be continued...
Quote:
Originally Posted by warning after 2nd bump
Mod edit: do not bump your ad within 30 days without adding new vital information.
Edit it!
When the person who created the personal wants to add something, then he/she is free to do so. However, we have a special little feature for that: the Edit button. If you want to add, remove or change something within four days (96 hours), then you can use the Edit button. If the person didn't use the Edit button and wants to add or correct something to the personal within the four days, then I'm happy to do it for you.

When you want to add (or whatever) to your personal after the fourth day, it depends on how you write it down. The log of daily posting in one's personal (seen above) is an example of how to just bump a personal. Another example, adding a one-liner post to your personal that consists out of three sentences is just making two half-assed posts whole.

Replying to someone (in the personal)
But then the impossible happened, and someone responded to your personal. Since it your personal personal, you can talk to this someone. Reply or ignore the person, it's up to you. But when you respond to the person after a week, it's basically just waiting for your personal to drop down the pages so you can bump it to the top again.

Strictness?
I don't enforce the 30-days-waiting rule too harsh regarding time stamps. This is where more parameters come around the corner. When someone adds a one-liner posts to their personal to bump (like "still searching") after 20 days, it's a plain bump. Though, if this post were to bump a personal extravagant instead of a personal with a small paragraph, then it's more likely to be fine because of all the effort put into the personal. The same applies to a post after only a day or within a couple of hours when somebody just forgot something. Though, the person can still Edit the OP (= original post).

Merging
Half the answer is written in the "Edit it!" part. When someone posts within four days with new info, it could've been edited in as well, thus the posts still be merged and moulded into one. The same applies to when someone posts a one-liner after the fourth day. Even when it's not a one-liner, the posts secretly says that the OP wasn't well thought out. Though this is not in all cases, which means it's fine to post the extra information.

Information to add
There's also the parameter of what kind of information the OP'er wants to add to their personal. We're talking about non-edited in information, thus needing a new post. There's a small list below with actual examples that people use to bump their personal.

Don'ts
- "Just a reminder that ..."
- "I'm still searching."
- "Updated the OP." (but there are exceptions)
- "Just bumping."
- Repeating the same information as in the OP.
- Basic information such as gender, actual age, forgotten likes/limits, messenger info, etc.

Continue when...
... the post contains "new vital information" that people need to know before approaching you.
... it's doubtful (to anyone) whether it's purpose is informing people or bumping the personal.
... there's another (reasonably valid) reason for you to post. (example: closing the personal)

I've only really liked a handful of people in my life,
and you've been two of them.

—Hans Axgil—
RiskyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
gamerdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyFlame View Post
Rule of patience
The 30-days-waiting rule is put in place so everyone gets an equal chance. Put in other words, people who are serious in trying to find somebody gets the same attention (first-page time) as those who bump their personal (= s/M ad) daily. To avoid the horny guys (and gals) from bumping their personal daily, they are only allowed to bump once every 30 days.
  • 17 December 2016 - New personal created.
  • 18 December 2016 - New post (bumping): forgot to mention something: ...
  • 19 December 2016 - New post (bumping): "still looking."
  • 20 December 2016 - New post (bumping): found someone but didn't work out, still looking.
  • 21 December 2016 - New post (bumping): "Please don't message me when ..."
  • 22 December 2016 - New post (bumping): I also like [new kink]
  • 23 December 2016 - New post (bumping): "Still looking."
  • To be continued...
Okay we can have this discussion. I'd argue that you are assuming too much. I know other websites which do not have this rule that do not have the above problem (literotica.com is one of them). I think it actually makes it harder for good ads to stand out because they leave the front page before being seen.

Now you may argue that there are those people who look beyond the front page. I can tell you from experience (6 years on and off on Getdare) that the best time to get views on your ad is the short time it’s on the front page. The further it goes down, the harder it is.

My second argument goes with the below comments but I’ll touch on it here as well. What is defined as “bumping with new information” is pretty much up to the discretion of the Mod on duty. You said it yourself in your response, “I don't enforce the 30-days-waiting rule too harsh regarding time stamps.”

A compromise? Instead of getting rid of the 30 day rule, lower it to 7 or 10 days. This allows "good" ads the opportunity to go back to the front page sooner and have more opportunity to shine through the mess that is 60-75% of the ads on Getdare. It also alleviates the necessity for mods to police the area as thoroughly.

Quote:
Edit it!
When the person who created the personal wants to add something, then he/she is free to do so. However, we have a special little feature for that: the Edit button. If you want to add, remove or change something within four days (96 hours), then you can use the Edit button. If the person didn't use the Edit button and wants to add or correct something to the personal within the four days, then I'm happy to do it for you.

Now, see, I do not want you to edit my post. A friend and I have molded and perfected the language of my personal. If I wanted to edit it, I would have. If I think of something to add, I will add it via a reply, and I do not want it in the OP. Maybe there was a reason I did not want it there. I am one person, of course, but I worked hard on my ad to make it what I think is good. I do not need a mod editing my post by merging my reply into the OP. It looks horrible, and it makes me appear as if I am stupid after spending so much time tweaking the ad to convey the exact opposite.

Quote:

Information to add
There's also the parameter of what kind of information the OP'er wants to add to their personal. We're talking about non-edited in information, thus needing a new post. There's a small list below with actual examples that people use to bump their personal.

Don'ts
- "Just a reminder that ..."
- "I'm still searching."
- "Updated the OP." (but there are exceptions)
- "Just bumping."
- Repeating the same information as in the OP.
- Basic information such as gender, actual age, forgotten likes/limits, messenger info, etc.

Continue when...
... the post contains "new vital information" that people need to know before approaching you.
... it's doubtful (to anyone) whether it's purpose is informing people or bumping the personal.
... there's another (reasonably valid) reason for you to post. (example: closing the personal)
You basically ignored my argument entirely, by the way, but that’s fine. Here it is again. I’d argue that someone who posts a reply on their ad that says “Hey I’m still looking; I thought I found someone, but it didn’t work out,” is a valid update. It’s something I need to know as someone who might want to reply to them.

Now of course you may argue that there are times when people post this to “bump” their ad. Fine, I agree. In that specific circumstance, that is a violation, but if there were replies to the ad in the thread itself, then isn’t it information I need to know?

Also if the above are the rules/guidelines let’s post them as rules/guidelines in the slave/master area so everyone posting can see them. As I stated in the OP, the rules have not been updated since 2009.