Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Is Niet

Default Spelling

It's begun to annoy me of late the number of blatantly wrong misspellings on this website. The occasional typo is one thing, and we can all usually catch which are typos, but there are so many dares now that just have horribly bungled spellings in them to the point where it just annoys me. Can we do anything about this? I mean, moderators, what do you think about the situation?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Yes, me too, I've noticed that. It's especially annoying when people do this on purpose! It's horribly difficult to understand for anyone and particularly for users whose first language isn't English (like me). I don't think it's the mods responsibility to check everyone's posts to make sure they're correctly written though...

Last edited by SubMissChievous; 11-06-2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added important comment
Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
F_SL

wat d0 yoo mene?

But seriously, I agree! I think that the people themselves should realize that someone with horrible misspellings wont be taken very seriously...
Old 11-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
TheLittleStrawberry
getDare Devil

Default I agree

YUp... Many misspellings on this site. I usually never bother to read these people's posts.

It's annoying when you point out their errors, and they are like "I dun crere! I splel liek i wunt to."

Oh well....

Im doing dares again If you wanna send one, you can PM me, but I'll probably hang around the dare threads as well.

Limits: I wont ingest anything nasty, Nothing messy that will ruin my furniture or belongings, nothing public, nothing illegal.

most humiliating dare:
I was dared not to remove my panties at all for a few days. Not even for bathroom duties, and to cut a little hole for 'nr 2' as I couldnt remove them . It was strange.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittleStrawberry View Post
YUp... Many misspellings on this site. I usually never bother to read these people's posts.

It's annoying when you point out their errors, and they are like "I dun crere! I splel liek i wunt to."

Oh well....
I don't read them anymore either. I used to try to decipher those but to no avail... Makes my eyes bleed!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
MasterPain
Distinguished Member

iespell, sometimes i dont use is to check my work, sometimes i do.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
admireu4ever

Well,

I'm going around and rewritting stories that are written with lack of good spelling. I've already done a few you can go read them. I find this is a good way for me to give back to the getDare community.

-Tessdog
Old 11-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
brownie
Account Banned

Send a message via AIM to brownie Send a message via Yahoo to brownie

not to worry, i know i am one of those persons, that always spell something wrong. but i just got spell cheek.
It doesn't bather me when i reading, bad spelling peoples, i think stupid people just have this connection, don't u see. The world is made up of DEE DEE DEE. Every 1 out of 3 people are DEE DEE DEE'S.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
lucky
Account Banned

Well maybe they dont want to be read and prove their stupidity. The ones acting voluntary not some people who might miss some english grammar or typing (for example is hard for me and I sometimes say "I will do if I will have" "instead of I will do if I have" these are due to language differences.

Just ignore or report them as spam or offtopic with the reason "Oh, sorry I thought you were saying something else"

I am currently blackmailed and I am not sure about my limits...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Glutgod
getDare Devil

Yea I do get annoyed when people misspell every word they are trying to type. I think the need to put in just and extra minute so there post are not just a pile of crap. I just try to not pay any attention to it but its been going on more and more so it is becoming harder to avoid.
For us, the storm has passed. The war is over. And let us never forget those who journeyed into the howling dark, and did not return. For their decision required courage beyond measure. Sacrifice, an unshakeable conviction that their fight... *our* fight... was elsewhere. As we start to rebuild, this hillside will remain barren, a memorial to heroes fallen. They enobled all of us, and they shall not be forgotten
Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
chain
SysOp & Cougar Trainer

Those who can't spell don't get chosen to become mods.

Rowing all day, erry Day
Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
Sum
getDare Devil

Misspelling i don't personally mind so much, not every school system teaches english spelling well (i know from experience of ironically the english school system)
The thing i find annoying is people who use the most ridiculous abbreviations for things, in their quasi leet speak way 1 m34n 1f 7h3y w4n7 70 5p34k 1n |337 7h3n 7h3y c4n, 4nd ju57 637 b4nn3d n1c3 4nd 5h4rp15h yeah i didn't know all that, ran it through a leet speak translator, who would have thought such a thing would exist.

For normal misspellings, is there a way to set up a spell checker, i don't know maybe passing things to an external online spell checker? I don't really know how these forums work (know they're adapted off the shelf things)
Apart from that the only thing i could think of that would help would be to ban those that use gross misspellings, but then it becomes problematic, as where is the line drawn, how many misspellings over how many posts constitutes a warning or a ban?

Well those are just some of my thoughts on the matter
--note--
in this post when i spell checked it there were at least 20 mistakes, most of these words which i know how to spell, but as I'm typing fast get misspelt through lack of concentration, and i consider myself an educated person
Just a little thought there, not sure what if anything it adds to the argument

Fire walk with me

I'm off to kinktalk. Bye all.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
F_SL

Just to put this out there, FireFox (great browser) is safer than IE, comes with spell check, and has the ability to tab chats (IE7 does too, but IE7 bogs down your computer).
Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
Sum
getDare Devil

Yeah that's been mentioned before, does it do in do inline spell checking out of curiosity? You didn't mention that also firefox is faster than IE. I tried firefox a couple of times but could never get on with it. (was trying having been an opera user, which also has tabs, had them before was created out of the ashes of netscape) On that point opera is also able to do spell checking, though i believe on platforms apart form mac (can't remember if it's auto done on linux) you have to set it up. Opera is also even more bullet proof than firefox and arguably is even faster (that's in benchmark tests, in real browsing terms i don't think there's much in it anymore)

Fire walk with me

I'm off to kinktalk. Bye all.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 AM   #15
TheLittleStrawberry
getDare Devil

I use Firefox's integrated spell checker. It's really helpful as I always get at least 5 typos when I write. Mostly because I haven't yet learned how to type without looking at the keyboard... Well... Kinda.

So I suggest firefox to anyone who isn't a good speller. And Sum(1) is right. Its not so much the spelling, but the stupid 1337-speak, and chat-speak that annoys me.

Firefox's spell-checker works almost everywhere, except in titles and stuff like that. But it works on any forum I've ever been on. So it's a very useful toy. It works the same way Word's spell-checker does. Is you make a mistake, it comes with some suggestions to some words you might have been trying to spell. If it's a word the dictionary doesn't know, you can add it.

But an integrated spell-checker on this site would be great too, for all the non-firefox users.

Im doing dares again If you wanna send one, you can PM me, but I'll probably hang around the dare threads as well.

Limits: I wont ingest anything nasty, Nothing messy that will ruin my furniture or belongings, nothing public, nothing illegal.

most humiliating dare:
I was dared not to remove my panties at all for a few days. Not even for bathroom duties, and to cut a little hole for 'nr 2' as I couldnt remove them . It was strange.
Closed Thread