Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 08-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #1471
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

I think one story in anything stretches too far, Soaps get away with i because they have side stories, up to five in one episode if you look for it. IN series one of Torchwood (the best i think) you saw two story lines in every episode more or less. In Children Of Earth it still worked but even the thought there was the main one there was so many small ones it worked.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #1472
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

The point is "Torchwood: Miracle Day" is dragging. Is this show like other American FBI/cop/sci-fi dramas because if it is... ouch.

Actually, I'd be interested to hear about other similar shows in America and pacing and episode length etc.

One thing I've noted is that American seasons can run up to 20+ episodes each, and that'd be mental here in the UK. Maybe America, then, is used to longer storylines and arcs even if Torchwood is a 'mini series' by those standards. Dunno.
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #1473
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
The point is "Torchwood: Miracle Day" is dragging. Is this show like other American FBI/cop/sci-fi dramas because if it is... ouch.

Actually, I'd be interested to hear about other similar shows in America and pacing and episode length etc.

One thing I've noted is that American seasons can run up to 20+ episodes each, and that'd be mental here in the UK. Maybe America, then, is used to longer storylines and arcs even if Torchwood is a 'mini series' by those standards. Dunno.
I'd like to back you up but from what i have seen of CSI and other american programs they generally change story line every episode with one theme. Much like Doctor Who does
Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #1474
Puggsley

Quote:

Have you seen Breaking Bad, or the mini series Walking Dead? They have the same format that Torchwood is following now. Not resolving anything in an episode, just tackling one or two plot points each episode. I loved the first series of Breaking bad, but find now that it also drags, and that its acting and camera work cant make up for the slow pace of the plot. I also loved Walking Dead, but both seemed to have a plot that could be resolved by a movie in two hours.

Hopefully Torchwood will pick up, but at least we'll have Dr Who back soon!
Puggsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #1475
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsley View Post
Have you seen Breaking Bad, or the mini series Walking Dead? They have the same format that Torchwood is following now...

Hopefully Torchwood will pick up, but at least we'll have Dr Who back soon!
I haven't, I'm afraid. I don't actually watch much TV.

Also, for the first time, I'm pretty 'meh' about the return of Who. Fed up of this storyline.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #1476
Puggsley

Quote:

I haven't, I'm afraid. I don't actually watch much TV.

Also, for the first time, I'm pretty 'meh' about the return of Who. Fed up of this storyline.
Dont Worry, it passes. I felt that way about Peter Davidson when he first took over. You'll have to just revel in the excellent acting and try to turn a blind eye to the shortfalls in the script.

I see you've not reviewed The Lodger, or Vincent and the Doctor yet. At least you've got two great eps to look forward to going back and re watching. It will be interesting to see what you think of Vincent and the Doctor. Its one of my very favorite ep's.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #1477
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsley View Post
Dont Worry, it passes. I felt that way about Peter Davidson when he first took over. You'll have to just revel in the excellent acting and try to turn a blind eye to the shortfalls in the script.

I see you've not reviewed The Lodger, or Vincent and the Doctor yet. At least you've got two great eps to look forward to going back and re watching. It will be interesting to see what you think of Vincent and the Doctor. Its one of my very favorite ep's.
I'm looking forward to Amy's Choice (tomorrow), Vincent, Lodger, Pandorica and The Big Bang
Old 08-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #1478
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Okay, so my schedule for S5 reviews is as follows;

Amy's Choice - Monday 8th
THE/CBlood - Thursday 11th
VATDoctor & The Lodger - Monday 15th
TPO/TBBang - Tuesday 16th
A Christmas Carol - Wednesday 17th

Also, Torchwood episode 4... it's slowly getting better

And NEW DOCTOR WHO TRAILER IS EXCITING!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #1479
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Episode four what do you know 'dead is dead' is centre of it. Admittedly it did do a little bit of experimenting with Rex and Ester and Gwens father. But honestly it was cringe worthy. Seriously if this was the first series of Torchwood it wouldn't have been bought by Starz. In some respect it was better with The father but it was like what two minutes? and Ester which was like what four in total. Both told us nothing important and neither helped the story. The perfectly timed rescue was lame and yet another cringe worthy spectacle, a hitman delaying because he thought.... Then the perfect shot to shut him up just as he is about to tell us the answers... No, no this is not a Hollywood movie. If you are to have to such a result that is perfect or whatever then have some build up and some tension. There was none, it was too foreseeable and over dramatic. There was no really explanation of why the move to California. I felt they could have done more with the car crushing scene. i didn't feel any remorse,pain,pitty or anything for the woman, that is really bad writing. If Steven just dropped dead in CoE then no one would have cried it'd be like 'Oh well' and this was very much the same. A good idea ruined by trashing fast writing. The pace of this seems all very wrong. One moment it's quick, the next it is too slow, i don't know what is wrong but this is not Torchwood. This is branded Trash.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #1480
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
The pace of this seems all very wrong. One moment it's quick, the next it is too slow, this is not Torchwood..
Quoted for truth.

And what's worse is that Jack and Gwen - who are 'our' characters and the originals from Torchwood ... they're being hugely sidelined. As are Rhys and Andy. I hope they get more screen-time soon.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #1481
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:
Quoted for truth.

And what's worse is that Jack and Gwen - who are 'our' characters and the originals from Torchwood ... they're being hugely sidelined. As are Rhys and Andy. I hope they get more screen-time soon.
I understand they do need to be brushed aside at times. We need to gage with Ester and Rex and Oswald. But whenever we get close to some good time with one of the originals one of the Americans barge in.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #1482
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
I understand they do need to be brushed aside at times. We need to gage with Ester and Rex and Oswald. But whenever we get close to some good time with one of the originals one of the Americans barge in.
Also, it's rather annoying how every time we see Gwen, it's not just Gwen we get.

We get...

Gwen "I'm Welsh, You Know" Cooper.

RAWRGH.

Bill Pullman is a little OTT but he's the star of the show by miles, and he's easily the ony carrying it all.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #1483
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

And jack we get the 'im sorry' 'im mortal' 'im in charge'. His goal is no longer protection but investigation which torchwood do through the front door. Miracle Day appears as if the window is the only entrance.

Bill Pullman is doing a fantastic job i agree. It's his Hollywood fashioned speeches which really get to me. When he was talking to jack about his crime it was brilliant, you wanted to hurt Oswald, he didn't seem like an actor. But every public move he does is Hollywood style. The hospital scene would've been just fine if he came in and said hello and im with you and the baby will be protected and if he calmed. Instead he gave this speech on how we are the same and then lifted the baby up and it then suddenly smiled? RTD has never been this shabby with his writing. I'm starting to question how much of the idea was his and how much control on the script and production he has. Like i am with the BBCs ties to it, BBC lost its grip and its nerve and the ties seem to be severing.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #1484
Puggsley

So guesses on the plot of the next few episodes? Jack was pretty spot on with his predictions of the plot for the first four, any guesses on the next four?

I thought they actually had set the fifth episode up quite well. Easily better then the fourth, so hopefully you've got something to look forward too. The timing is still off, but a bit better.

Im going to go back and watch the first two seasons soon as an antidote to this american reinterpretation.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #1485
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Wait, Puggs, there's a plot?!

Also, I reviewed "Amy's Choice" today

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood