Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #1456
slave1987
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via MSN to slave1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
God, Torchwood is boring. Take your time; two episodes in and we've just about got our main heroes to America. Half an episode spent on a plane and half an episode with characters just spouting nonsense. Get on with it!

I've given up reviewing it until I can watch in my own time, and when I can skip the boring parts.

Instead, I've revamped my blog massively
Hate to break it to you, but the third episode isn't much better. Seems like it's going to follow the model of spending all the series setting it up and then have one episode to knock it all down.
slave1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #1457
Puggsley

Quote:
God, Torchwood is boring. Take your time; two episodes in and we've just about got our main heroes to America. Half an episode spent on a plane and half an episode with characters just spouting nonsense. Get on with it!

I've given up reviewing it until I can watch in my own time, and when I can skip the boring parts.

Instead, I've revamped my blog massively
Quote:
Originally Posted by slave1987 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but the third episode isn't much better. Seems like it's going to follow the model of spending all the series setting it up and then have one episode to knock it all down.
I agree, though I think more happened in Ep3 and was generally better then Ep2. They do seem to be spending too much time introducing the new characters, and the series to the US audience, which seems unnecessary as I think Torchwood already had a built in audience there. I was a little disappointed in the latest two though after Ep1 which I thought was a good introduction to the concept.

I do love the revamped tardismanual as well! Nice work Doctor!
Puggsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #1458
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave1987 View Post
Oh, I've heard all about episode 3 too. Not looking forward to this 10-episode stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsley View Post
I agree, though I think more happened in Ep3 and was generally better then Ep2. They do seem to be spending too much time introducing the new characters, and the series to the US audience, which seems unnecessary as I think Torchwood already had a built in audience there. I was a little disappointed in the latest two though after Ep1 which I thought was a good introduction to the concept.

I do love the revamped tardismanual as well! Nice work Doctor!
I'm not reviewing Torchwood because I'll be bored to death. Thanks for the kind words on the blog look

Keep checking back. I've got two new reviews up now!
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #1459
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

In the run-up to "Let's Kill Hitler", I've decided to go back to the start (of Matt Smith's era) and review.

First up, "The Eleventh Hour".

Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #1460
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

BBC Whales (better known as 'The Beast Below') review up now
Old 07-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #1461
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Episode three i felt was the best of the three so far. However i have some itches that need sorting.
Jack: His coat is obviously now manufactured and hideous, His gun is now an american semi-automatic instead of his symbolic Revolver, his arm didn't heal from the CIA blast and now is infected (okay realistic) however the bruising he sustained was gone in the sex scene?
Gwen: Ryhs isn't wanted all of a sudden? They could have her by the balls yet whoever wants Torchwood out of the way hasn't thought of that... Also the baby clearly isn't needed nor wanted so is wrote out of the story with the occasional mentions, bad move.
Rex: typical American shooting first and asking questions later, nice to see his character develop a little bit but could have done with some explanation as to why he slept with the woman and some history between them would be nice as they cant be husband and wife nor divorced under the Hippocratic oath.
Ester: cute girl, i like her actually she isn't all in my face yet still American. However i have a feeling her crying and stupidity will inevitably annoy me.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #1462
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
Episode three i felt was the best of the three so far. However i have some itches that need sorting...
I have to agree that Ep3 was the best thus far, though that really isn't saying much. It's been really quite naff up until now. I'm really missing Ianto and Owen and Tosh, especially following the recent Ianto mention. Also, there needs to be more Wales connection, with PC Andy and Rhys (and Anwen).

Jack's as bland as ever, unfortunately. The drunk call to Gwen was the highlight of the episode, but again that doesn't say much compared to the rest. Rhys and everyone else seem to have been sidelined. I only hope they come into it a lot more in the future, though it appears unlikely.

Rex has improved. Slightly. The rest are pretty bland. Even that evil woman in the red coat isn't doing much. The best non-Torchwood character is easily Oswald Danes, though I'm still not keen on the storyline (I won't judge until all 10 episodes have aired though).
Old 07-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #1463
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Also... How to Ruin the Daleks (Review of 'Victory of the Daleks')
Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #1464
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Bill Pullman is showing some incredible acting. He's making me feel like if saw him in public i'd want to hit him. There was a lot of good writing for him too in honesty however RTD shoots himself with that daft little scene on the TV about the journey. SEriously who'd believed that and no laugh in the real world.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #1465
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Bill Pullman is showing some incredible acting. He's making me feel like if saw him in public i'd want to hit him. There was a lot of good writing for him too in honesty however RTD shoots himself with that daft little scene on the TV about the journey. SEriously who'd believed that and no laugh in the real world.
Though I like Bill Pullman, it's an odd character. He's incredibly OTT and Bill's hamming it up. He may as well have PAEDO written on his head. The fact is, in real life, people like him are so damn scary and creepy because they fade into the background and don't make themselves seen.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #1466
Puggsley

Rocket

Quote:
Episode three i felt was the best of the three so far. However i have some itches that need sorting.
Jack: His coat is obviously now manufactured and hideous, His gun is now an american semi-automatic instead of his symbolic Revolver, his arm didn't heal from the CIA blast and now is infected (okay realistic) however the bruising he sustained was gone in the sex scene?
Gwen: Ryhs isn't wanted all of a sudden? They could have her by the balls yet whoever wants Torchwood out of the way hasn't thought of that... Also the baby clearly isn't needed nor wanted so is wrote out of the story with the occasional mentions, bad move.
Rex: typical American shooting first and asking questions later, nice to see his character develop a little bit but could have done with some explanation as to why he slept with the woman and some history between them would be nice as they cant be husband and wife nor divorced under the Hippocratic oath.
Ester: cute girl, i like her actually she isn't all in my face yet still American. However i have a feeling her crying and stupidity will inevitably annoy me.
I think the bruising has gone as he can heal, he just is mortal now. Thats why Gwen told him "its itching because its healing", though I would agree the bruises disappeared really quickly.

I've also got misgivings about his lack of revolver, and would like to see him with his .38 service revolver again, but it probably didn't get taken with him when they got rendidited to the states, and I actually thought this was a good bit of continuity rather than a play to the US market.

Im still reserved on Ep.4, Im going to have to watch it again before I make my mind up, and I don't want to drop too much as I know you guys are watching it a week after I am.

Cheers,
Puggsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #1467
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsley View Post
Im still reserved on Ep.4, Im going to have to watch it again before I make my mind up, and I don't want to drop too much as I know you guys are watching it a week after I am.

Cheers,
Spoiler:
You can always use spoiler tags! Personally, I'm not bothered because it seems each episode (until around episode 6/7) will be summed up with "nothing really happens".
Old 07-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #1468
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:
Spoiler:
You can always use spoiler tags! Personally, I'm not bothered because it seems each episode (until around episode 6/7) will be summed up with "nothing really happens".
I disagree something is happening each episode. But it seems to be baby steps.
ep1: Updates us on Jack and Gwen
ep2: Getting to america
ep3: The drugs company
ep4: i think it'll be the whole dead is dead segregation. (geuss btw)
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #1469
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
I disagree something is happening each episode. But it seems to be baby steps.
ep1: Updates us on Jack and Gwen
ep2: Getting to america
ep3: The drugs company
ep4: i think it'll be the whole dead is dead segregation. (geuss btw)
But, really, all of those could've been done in two episodes. It took two whole episodes to get to America and one episode was half-filled with Jack and Gwen on a plane in a padded subplot.

Children of Earth had 5 episodes and had to get on with it. This has 10 and it just feels like they've had to pad a lot out.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #1470
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Back in the Whoniverse, I've reviewed some more S5 if anyone's interested.

Reviews now up for The Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood