Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #1426
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Day 7 - My Favourite / Least Favourite Writer

Another tough call because when I watch Who, pre-RTD, I never really look at the credits. These days, because the series is happening here and now, I take note of all the production side of things. But, whilst I'm not completely in the dark about classic Who, I have never really cared much for who wrote what. So I don't think I can fairly choose from the classic series.

I mean, I could pick out my favourite stories and see who wrote them, but I won't feel confident in judging things on writing alone. When I've watched, for example, "Revelation of the Daleks", I've always judged the whole performance - writing, acting, production, everything. I've never sat and watched old stories with a primary focus on how it's been written. So, for that reason, I'm going to pick from new Who...

http://tardismanual.blogspot.com/201...favourite.html
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #1427
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Day 8 - My Favourite / Least Favourite Title Sequence

For this one, I'm going to focus completely on graphics because Day 11 will be a discussion on the actual music. It's quite bizarre, splitting the two elements up, but I thought it'd give a bit of variety. And I'll no doubt discuss the relation between music and graphics on Day 11 too.

My favourite title sequence is...

Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #1428
Puggsley

The new season of Torchwood looks awesome! It seems to have retained the same production values as Children of Earth, and it looks like they've nailed the script.

I know its hard to judge the whole season on one episode, but Im looking forward to the rest of them now!

Oh, Loved the spoilers Doctor, they were spot on. You must have some good sources!

Grand!

Last edited by Puggsley; 07-09-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Puggsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #1429
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

If anyone does wanna talk about spoilers, please can we use spoiler tags? I'm not too fussy but I know others may be, and I don't want the whole episode plot revealed.

That said, we're getting a different (and longer, YAY) version in the UK.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #1430
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Day 9 - My Favourite / Least Favourite Dalek Story

As some of you may have already gathered by now, I do tend to give a lot of love to the stories that are often laughed at, ignored or forgotten about. And so, though I adore "Dalek" and "Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways", "Destiny of the Daleks" and "Remembrance of the Daleks" (one of my top five stories of all time), I have to give this award to...

Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #1431
Puggsley

Thanks for your Dalek Story. It looks like I've got another to look up now, when we allowed back into our video library.

Up until now I think my favorite classic Dalek story was "Genesis of the Daleks" with Tom Baker. I love this story.

I think my favorite Dalek line ever was during "Doomsday". "You (Cybermen) are better than the Daleks in one regard, Dying". Though as moments go, the sudden ability of the Daleks to fly in "Dalek" was great! Quite the twist.

I agree with your worst Dalek story as well. Though, Im not sure I agree with the new colorful Daleks, they don't seem right to me.

Sorry for the mention of spoilers earlier. I was referring your Torchwood teasers, which were spot on.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #1432
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Day 8- Favorite- I loved the Peter Davison opening sequence or maybes even the very first one as it was so simple its fantastic. Though my is The Movie as it was a very proud sequence even if the rest of the 'movie' wasn't as good.
Least Favorite- Probably because i don't like either Doctor much the ones wit Colin Baker and Jon Pertwee as i found there pictures creepy.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #1433
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Day 9- Favorite- The Chase is unreal in honesty. Also have a soft spot for Doomsday, Genesis of the Daleks, Destiny of the Daleks and Bad Wolf/Parting of ways. So many good ones
Least Favorite- there Cameo Appearance in the movie was confusing in honesty as was it in the Five Doctors.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #1434
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsley View Post
Though as moments go, the sudden ability of the Daleks to fly in "Dalek" was great! Quite the twist.
<pedant> Daleks could fly before the 'new series' </pedant>

Old 07-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #1435
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Day 10 - My Favourite / Least Favourite Cyberman Story

My favourites are "Tomb of the Cybermen", "Revenge of the Cybermen", "Earthshock", "Attack of the Cybermen", and I have a soft spot for "Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel" because it was my first Who story, even though I actively dislike the whole Cybus thing. So I'm gunna pick out of those choices. But, first, a quick mention of "The Invasion". I remember watching it and enjoying it but the Cybermen don't arrive until quite late in the day and it's not a story I'd go back and rewatch a few times, unlike the rest which I can watch many times over and love it just as much each time. (Also, I did like "Silver Nemesis" but I do acknowledge that it's just a complete mess.

I wanted to say "Revenge of the Cybermen" (I love the re-used Nerva set; I love Tom; the camp Cybermen are brilliantly funny, etc) but the scenes on Voga are pretty dull and they do tend to drag on a bit. So I'm gunna go with...

Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #1436
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

I don't have a Favorite or a least favorite Cyberman episode as they change regularly because they are just all class acts.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #1437
Puggsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

<pedant> Daleks could fly before the 'new series' </pedant>

Yeah, I thought I'd put my foot in it there, but I wasn't sure. They did make a big deal of it in the episode though, so I wasn't sure if they had just been able to fly in space or not.

We stopped getting the original series over here during Colin Bakers reign, and I'd got bored sometime during Davidsons time in the Tardis. Hopefully the council will allow access back into the one video store in Christchurch that carries the classic DVD's and I'll catch up. You sure are giving me quite a list of classics to watch.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #1438
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Day 11 - My Favourite / Least Favourite Theme Tune Arrangement

My favourite theme tune is a toss-up between the original Hartnell version, and the Colin Baker Trial version.

I adore the simplicity of the Hartnell theme, but then I love the 'alien' touch that the Trial theme attempted. And both had suitable visuals; one really haunting and creepy, and the other really brash and colourful and mad.

My least favourite theme tune has to be Keff's McCoy abomination. I like the 'middle eight' of the theme tune but it feels like it was thrown in to pad out the episode running length and it's just not needed here. That, and the 'music' is just horrific. The visuals don't help the music, either.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #1439
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Day 12 - My Favourite / Least Favourite New Series Finale

This one's harder than I thought it was gunna be. As much as I dislike the overblown finales we always get 'treated' to, I do sometimes rewatch them and just go along for the ride. It's always best to ignore the ins and outs of the plot, and just have fun with a finale because they're always stupidly OTT, with the writers writing themselves into silly plot corners and plot holes.

I like pretty much all the finales except "SOD/U/LOT", also known as "The Sound of Drums / Last of the Time Lords", so I'll begin with my least favourite first. Never been keen on Simm's Master; Martha was a badly written character; the Doctor spends his time as CGI for half of the story; it's just cringeworthy bad.

Actually, up until now, I hadn't considered that "The End of Time" is a finale too, but it definitely is. And so that can go alongside "SOD/U/LOT"; if you made me pick the worst, I'd go with "The End of Time" but, generally, they're both pretty terrible.

My favourite then...

Bad Wolf / The Parting of the Ways
Army of Ghosts / Doomsday
The Stolen Earth / Journey's End
The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang

It's a tough call. The latter two are just fantastical bollocks, really, but both are really good at being fantastical bollocks. "Doomsday" was my first finale, and we got to see the back of Rose (well, until she came back for a brew even though it was impossible ever ever ever etc.), and I loved it. Daleks, Cybermen, Torchwood, great. But I'd pick the darker, more gritty "Bad Wolf" finale over it. Eccleston is way ahead of Tennant, and it's such a joy to see this massive army of insane Daleks with an Emperor, and the whole Gamestation plot is genius. The Daleks are at their best and, though the regeneration doesn't make complete sense, it's all hard-hitting and bloody fantastic drama throughout.

So, remove "Doomsday"...

Bad Wolf / The Parting of the Ways
The Stolen Earth / Journey's End
The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang

I adore "The Stolen Earth" because of the characters all reuniting; it's done so well. SJA, Torchwood, fantastic; Rose not so much. But the plot elements all come together beautifully and it's one of the best set-up episodes ever. But then, so is "Pandorica". ARGH.

I'm just gunna cop-out of this myself (taking a leaf out of RTD's book) and say it's a tie between those three listed above
Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #1440
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Favorite Arrangement: Series 4 by Murray Gold. I don't knwo why either it just sounds good.
Least favorite: Got to say i'm not keen on Series 5 by Murrary Gold.

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood