Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 08-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #796
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
God how i wish the old episodes weren't nearly two hours long on the same fucking story!
Which stories are you on about?

Some drag, some roll along nicely. "The War Games" is 10x25-minute episodes but, for me, it sped through.

And I find your post, there, slightly lacking in common knowledge. By that, I mean, TV changes. The stories of the 60s were intentionally made at certain lengths for the 1960s period. They had no idea that, one day, everyone could re-watch them on DVD/video. They were of the time, made for the time. It's also why they didn't bother too much with continuity.

And if they're too long for your liking, don't watch 'em. Read about 'em instead. (I would discuss how the new episodes are too fuckin' quick but I can't be arsed. Unless you want me to.)
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #797
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

To lighten the mood a little, now, I present the result of boredom from this afternoon. And, ironically, it's made in 60s-style

Old 08-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #798
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Old 08-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #799
Lord Ariona

Ah, old Doctor Who episodes. How you drag on and on and on. Somehow, they manage to be more campy, as well!

To be perfectly honest, I don't have the nostalgia to make the old Doctor Who more beloved by me. My first Doctor was the 9th (for how little Eccleston lasted), and both Tennant and Smith have followed with amazing jobs.

Can it be Christmas yet so I can see more of Matt Smith? Perhaps bring back Jennie?
Lord Ariona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #800
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ariona View Post
Ah, old Doctor Who episodes. How you drag on and on and on. Somehow, they manage to be more campy, as well!

To be perfectly honest, I don't have the nostalgia to make the old Doctor Who more beloved by me. My first Doctor was the 9th (for how little Eccleston lasted), and both Tennant and Smith have followed with amazing jobs.

Can it be Christmas yet so I can see more of Matt Smith? Perhaps bring back Jennie?
My first Doctor was the Tenth. But "my Doctors" are One, Six, Seven, Nine and Eleven. Maybe Two, too. And Four. Argh! xD

More Matt Smith? Yes please! A few more years too!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #801
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Latest news: Season 32 is going to be split in two.

This allows for a mid-series event, a cliffhanger, and hopefully a healthy rise in what is usually termed the "mid-series slump".

The first half is to have 7 episodes, with the second half having 6. Then we'll get Christmas.

It's as yet unknown whether they'll title it all under Season 32/Series 6, or whether they'll actively refer to it as two series/seasons.

I also have a GIF of the Doctor stopping the cat woman.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #802
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
Latest news: Season 32 is going to be split in two.

It's an Auton controlling her! BTW i agree and i loved War Games. Though am still puzzled why he didn't regenerate (The WarLord) anyway some episodes unnecessarily go round in loops in the case of something happens after it was originally saved etc. Made some a bit Lengthy. Sorry to go back to my insults of Joh Pertwee but some of his could have been a lot shorter. 7 IN each for the First season he did was very tired some. And ftr if some are dragging i skips some of them.

9th was my first but loved William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and David Tennant. Matt smith could be but realistically needs more time.

loved the little sketch Marvin. Did you do that yourself? I used to play games like that but could never afford the really things. Got a TARDIS and a modern Dalek and that's it.

And am gone a weekend and i'v loads to comment on.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #803
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
It BTW i agree and i loved War Games. Though am still puzzled why he didn't regenerate (The WarLord) anyway some episodes unnecessarily go round in loops in the case of something happens after it was originally saved etc. Made some a bit Lengthy. Sorry to go back to my insults of Joh Pertwee but some of his could have been a lot shorter. 7 IN each for the First season he did was very tired some. And ftr if some are dragging i skips some of them.

9th was my first but loved William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and David Tennant. Matt smith could be but realistically needs more time.

loved the little sketch Marvin. Did you do that yourself? I used to play games like that but could never afford the really things. Got a TARDIS and a modern Dalek and that's it.

And am gone a weekend and i'v loads to comment on.
But in the 60s (and continuing into the 70s - Tom Baker had some epic 6-part stories!), 6 and 7 parters were the norm quite often and, whilst some did drag, some worked brilliantly. Take "Inferno". A fantastic 7-part story and it could probably breathe with an 8th episode. Plus, they were 20/25-minute episodes. People forget these factors. And I don't think you can generalise stories unless you've seen each one because they're all different.

"Inferno" is fantastic, whereas "Frontier in Space" sees the Doctor getting locked up in about 8 different places. "Doctor Who and the Silurians" is another fantastic 7-parter which never feels like it's being padded out. Haven't seen "The Ambassadors {TWANG} of Death" so I can't comment. And how is it tiresome when there are just three 7-parters in his first season? His first story was just 4 episodes.

Regarding the photo comic, yeah. About 2 hours, figures and a camera
Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #804
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:

But in the 60s (and continuing into the 70s - Tom Baker had some epic 6-part stories!), 6 and 7 parters were the norm quite often and, whilst some did drag, some worked brilliantly. Take "Inferno". A fantastic 7-part story and it could probably breathe with an 8th episode. Plus, they were 20/25-minute episodes. People forget these factors. And I don't think you can generalise stories unless you've seen each one because they're all different.

"Inferno" is fantastic, whereas "Frontier in Space" sees the Doctor getting locked up in about 8 different places. "Doctor Who and the Silurians" is another fantastic 7-parter which never feels like it's being padded out. Haven't seen "The Ambassadors {TWANG} of Death" so I can't comment. And how is it tiresome when there are just three 7-parters in his first season? His first story was just 4 episodes.

Regarding the photo comic, yeah. About 2 hours, figures and a camera
Inferno worked well i agree and never saw ambassadors either. Frontier in space was a little weird. Though he was recovering from a regeneration. The Silurian i thought was a little over stretched. A lot of it and many situations in the first season of pertwee felt forced in t buy the show air time.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #805
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Inferno worked well i agree and never saw ambassadors either. Frontier in space was a little weird. Though he was recovering from a regeneration. The Silurian i thought was a little over stretched. A lot of it and many situations in the first season of pertwee felt forced in t buy the show air time.
Research. "Frontier in Space" was his 17th story, hardly recovering from regeneration.

And how did they feel forced?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #806
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:

Research. "Frontier in Space" was his 17th story, hardly recovering from regeneration.

And how did they feel forced?
i thought you were on about the episode that the Autons first appeared in. Oh well. But the same point. He's unconscious or locked up or locked down or summit in every episode.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #807
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
i thought you were on about the episode that the Autons first appeared in. Oh well. But the same point. He's unconscious or locked up or locked down or summit in every episode.
Because that was the norm. It was Earthbound and featured concepts such as UNIT quite a lot. Plus it made sense that he be locked up various times due to him being alien. That said, it's not like he's locked up in every story. In fact, the only real note-worthy story which features him locked up in nearly every episode is "Frontier in Space". So that's hardly a reason to say his stories are padded/dragged/forced.

I'm not a huge Pertwee fan but it doesn't sound to me like you've pinpointed exactly why you dislike his era?

Last edited by Slenderman - Doctor; 09-01-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #808
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:

Because that was the norm. It was Earthbound and featured concepts such as UNIT quite a lot. Plus it made sense that he be locked up various times due to him being alien. That said, it's not like he's locked up in every story. In fact, the only real note-worthy story which features him locked up in nearly every episode is "Frontier in Space". So that's hardly a reason to say his stories are padded/dragged/forced.

I'm not a huge Pertwee fan but it doesn't sound to me like you've pinpointed exactly why you dislike his era?

Too much like Patrick Troughton tbh. And the script did seem very rubbish. Tho some of it was set during the BBC strikes. Hence some in Black n White.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #809
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Too much like Patrick Troughton tbh. And the script did seem very rubbish. Tho some of it was set during the BBC strikes. Hence some in Black n White.
But all Pertwee went out in colour and he was so different from Troughton! Pertwee was like an older James Bond, whereas Troughton was "the cosmic hobo".

Last edited by Slenderman - Doctor; 09-01-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #810
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

NOt all of Pertwee was in colour. Was filmed during the strikes of the bbc so some are in fact in black n white.

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood