Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #46
Pingu
Be afraid

Due to boredom and recent events in Boston, I thought I would bump this thread.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #47
phanmail
Distinguished Member

Location: In the depths of a bunker deep beneath the artic ice caps

What does Islam say on social issues like homosexuality and abortion? I remember reading that homosexuality isn't banned perse but has been banned by governments under the banner of "spreading evil in the land".

I've also heard that there are different duty's due to believers and non-believers (ie it's ok to lie to a non believer but you can't lie to a believer)

What exactly is the Ulama how does one join it and how much power do they have?

How does apostasy work, I've heard it's one of the crimes you can be executed for...

Thanks for answering these questions I think if more people could talk calmly and politely about religion we'd all be better off.

A bonus question:

What would the Muslim equivalent of "God bless you" be?
phanmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #48
Pingu
Be afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanmail View Post
What does Islam say on social issues like homosexuality and abortion? I remember reading that homosexuality isn't banned perse but has been banned by governments under the banner of "spreading evil in the land".
Homosexuality is forbidden in Islam. Personally, I don't really care whether you are not as long as you don't shove it down my throat (no pun intended). Likewise, I wouldn't expect people to be happy if I tried to shove my religion down their throat.

Abortion is allowed in Islam to protect the life of the mother. In general, it is frowned upon and if it is carried out then it should be in the early stages of pregnancy.

Quote:
I've also heard that there are different duty's due to believers and non-believers (ie it's ok to lie to a non believer but you can't lie to a believer)
Not that I am aware of but obviously Muslims would be favoured in Allah's eyes compared to non-believers.

Quote:
They would be the equivalent of priests. I don't believe there is any way of joining it other than a lot of study. Islam doesn't really have a Pope figure so a lot of priests even the most revered ones don't actually have any power.

Quote:
How does apostasy work, I've heard it's one of the crimes you can be executed for...
It depends on your interpretation. Some believe that is permissible and any "punishment" would be in the afterlife. Others believe that it is punishable by death.

Quote:
Alhumdulilah
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #49
Master.G

First, I think this thread is really great

Quote:
Ulama are people who studied alot about religion, as pingu said, they don't really have much power. However, as they know more about religion you can ask them about stuff and advices about religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post

Abortion is allowed in Islam to protect the life of the mother. In general, it is frowned upon and if it is carried out then it should be in the early stages of pregnancy.

Alhumdulilah
That's in normal cases, however, if there is a medical issue that needs abortion, it is allowed to do it.
Master.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #50
How
Baby Member

Quote:
In Islam, lying has been warned against and prohibited in the Quran, the Prophetic Sunnah (tradition) and the consensus of the Muslim scholars. Lying has very evil consequences in both this life and the life to come.

In fact, lying has only been permitted in a situation
  1. to save someone’s life,
  2. reconcile between two disputing parties
  3. or bring about more love and compassion between spouses.
The Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said:
“Lying is not permissible except for three reasons: lying to one’s wife to please her (for the purpose of arousing love and compassion and prevent disputes), lying during war and lying when reconciling between disputing people.”[At-Tirmithi-Albaani: Sound]. (islamweb.net)
Quote:
Barak Allahu Feekum

N.B:
Alhamdulilah = Praise be to Allah or Thanks be to Allah
How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #51
switchee

Being gay, I have no positive feelings for any formalised religion. I do, however, have a question for you.

Christianity has many "brands" (catholic, protestant, baptist, mormon etc.) and within those brands are further sub-sects (the jesuits, franciscans and others under the catholic umbrella for example).

Does Islam also have many different brands? I'm aware only of shiite and sunni. Are there others? And if so, why do we only ever hear of those two in media stories?

PS - I confess that I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologise if this has been asked previously.
meh : sounding, cum eating
likes : humiliation, roleplay, anal, & pretty much everything else
switchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:11 AM   #52
Kitten
The One & Only

What's the adress of that nice store you spoke about the other day? HalalJellybeans-R-Us?
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #53
master timo
getDare Sweetheart

Default master timo

Im a penticostal and need clairification on things the caron is suposidy the true bible but it has been worped to deligate torcher and destruction the bible we use spreads teachings of crist jesus what teachings does the caron have other then what I said defend your caron please and don't try to worp the holy bible to your methodology it is the only book that withstood 2000 years of that it wont be worped people try even today and fail pm me
master timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #54
Pingu
Be afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchee View Post
Does Islam also have many different brands? I'm aware only of shiite and sunni. Are there others? And if so, why do we only ever hear of those two in media stories?
Yes there are more sects but Sunni and Shia account for the vast majority of Muslims therefore they are ones which are mentioned in the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by master timo View Post
Im a penticostal and need clairification on things the caron is suposidy the true bible but it has been worped to deligate torcher and destruction the bible we use spreads teachings of crist jesus what teachings does the caron have other then what I said defend your caron please and don't try to worp the holy bible to your methodology it is the only book that withstood 2000 years of that it wont be worped people try even today and fail pm me
Not sure what you are talking about it.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #55
switchee

Quote:
Not sure what you are talking about it.
he is making an extremely uneducated comparison of the bible and the koran
meh : sounding, cum eating
likes : humiliation, roleplay, anal, & pretty much everything else
switchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #56
Unidentified
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Homosexuality is forbidden in Islam. Personally, I don't really care whether you are not as long as you don't shove it down my throat (no pun intended). Likewise, I wouldn't expect people to be happy if I tried to shove my religion down their throat.
Great, whenever someone mentions religion, I'll think a penis now thanks to this xD.
I have to say though, thanks for making such an interesting thread :3!
I've always found religion interesting, although I'm an atheist myself.
I just think it's really cool to know how other people think about the world and if there is a higher power. I'm not really sure if this was asked before, but were you "born" as a believer of the Islam (if you know what I mean) or did you pick up on it as your grew up?
Unidentified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #57
Sindrato
getDare Sweetheart

First of all, thanks for making this thread. Islam can be bashed so heavily in the media, and I believe having a place to ask questions about it, even if it may be in the BDSM forum, will help relieve the prejudice.
My question is about the head covers that muslim woman wear. I've seen many different types of them, from those just covering the top of the head to those covering the entire face. I've also met some woman who identify as muslim, but do not wear them. So, where does the Qur'an stand on the matter? Are they really required, and, if so, how much is enough?
Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #58
MsFrancesca
Account Banned

Quote:
Alhumdulilah

I'm pretty sure it's "Yr-Hamk-Allah"

As in Alhumdulilah is something like "Thank god"

Interesting thread though, I'm surprised this is the first time I see it.
MsFrancesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #59
Pingu
Be afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unidentified View Post
I'm not really sure if this was asked before, but were you "born" as a believer of the Islam (if you know what I mean) or did you pick up on it as your grew up?
Yes, my parents were Muslims. I was lucky that I went to a good school/college and they had some very good religious studies teachers. Asides from studying the major religions, we were also taught the arguments against God. All in all, I continued with my belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindrato View Post
My question is about the head covers that muslim woman wear. I've seen many different types of them, from those just covering the top of the head to those covering the entire face. I've also met some woman who identify as muslim, but do not wear them. So, where does the Qur'an stand on the matter? Are they really required, and, if so, how much is enough?
This is much debated in Islam. Some argue that the Qu'ran states that the hijab should be worn and others disagree. It all comes down to the interpretation of Surah 24:31 which states;

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms"

and

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way).

My family do not wear the hijab other than when they are in a mosque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFrancesca View Post

I'm pretty sure it's "Yr-Hamk-Allah"

As in Alhumdulilah is something like "Thank god"

Interesting thread though, I'm surprised this is the first time I see it.
I think it comes down to the culture and location of a Muslim. Obviously, you living in an Arab country must have a literal meaning. Certainly in my (Pakistani) culture, Alhumdulilah is used inter changeably.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #60
Sindrato
getDare Sweetheart

Thank you for the answer. I also had one other question, pretty simple one:
What stance does Islam take on dating in general, and sex before marriage in particular? And are there any objections to contraception?

Advertisements
Kink Talk