Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Submissive/Dominant Area > Submissive/Dominant Lounge

Old 08-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Master_slave_doc
Baby Member

Default Master/Slave Documentary

My name is Thomas Grimshaw, I’m 27 years old and I am a freelance documentary filmmaker based in London, who is making his first tentative steps in the world of filmmaking. Here is a short film I put together about an 86 year old woman with Alzheimer's - https://vimeo.com/61794606

I’m looking for assistance in a documentary project that I am trying to put together about the relationship between a master and his or her slave in the London/outer London area.

What I’m hoping to achieve with the film is hopefully something significantly different to most documentaries about sexual practice, which I feel fail on the grounds that they reinforce societal prejudices, usually by depicting the people involved as either unhinged or as a victim. Mostly though they lack empathy and understanding. What I wish to do is to depict the master/slave relationship in the hope of doing the opposite, to make it understandable and relatable.

Most people wouldn't look at a dominant/submissive relationship and instantly acknowledge a kinship with either party, which to me is absurd, for the fact that all of us display different levels of dominant and/or submissive behaviour in our everyday lives, dependent on who we are with at the time. For me the project was about teasing out those similarities, those points of entry that people could relate to - based on ideas of trust, respect, dedication, power.

A few practicalities: I have a very short turn around with this project, filming has to be completed by the end of September/beginning of October. However the amount of time needed would be kept to a minimum perhaps two days a week for three weeks.

Like I said before, for me the project is about ‘understanding’ with my intention to pare the film down to what I believe is most important, which is the power relationship between two people. For me this means less emphasis on the generic aspects of the documentary such as autobiographical interviews and voiceover, with greater power given to subjectivity, allowing the relationship to be shown through observation.

When making films, my approach is always one of ethical consideration and when working with anyone I always try and make it as collaborative as possible. So any suggestions, thoughts and the the like would be more than welcome. I would also work with you on any concerns you might have surrounding trust and anonymity, so that all parties were secure in moving forward.

I’m also not affiliated with any production company, or TV station and at the moment my intention is to submit the film to festivals after completion - there are no plans to distribute beyond that. I also only work with one other person to operate the camera, however if you’re concerned about disruption I can also work individually.

Anyway it would be great if you could let me know either way, my phone number is 07720215066 or you can email me at [email protected].

Hope to hear from you.
Master_slave_doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
documentary, film, master, slave