Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Jon's World.

It's like a normal world, only weirder. Now with 100% more poetry!
Rate this Entry

So who holds the power?

Posted 10-01-2016 at 03:34 PM by An_Jon

If you're familiar with D/S dynamics, then you'll have no doubt heard the argument somewhere that the sub actually holds all the power in a D/S relationship, not the sub. If you're not familiar with this argument, people who champion this school of thought claim that without a sub's consent there can be no relationship in the first place; additionally, that sub can withdraw consent at any time, making all of the dom's pleasure entirely down to the good nature of their sub. This is a slightly simplified version of the argument, but it sums it up pretty well.

I'm here to argue that this is not the case. Not completely removed from the truth, but there's an important distinction to me made. I'm going to argue something that seems so simple to me it boggles my mind that it isn't spoken more:

The power is in the relationship.

It's not held by the dom, it's not held by the sub. The power IS the relationship.

Now, let's examine this further.

Let's say that we have two people in a happy relationship. They have a fixed D/S dynamic (so they don't switch), and are so comfortable with one another that they understand each other's likes, limits, signals, consents, bad habits; and have a long-standing safeword: 'Courgette'. This is the premise of the relationship, noting weird here.

Now, the argument above implies that the person who takes on the 'S' dynamic holds all of the power in the relationship. This means that without them there is no dom, they get to choose the pace and decide what they do (otherwise they won't sub), and they can yell COURGETTE at any time when they don't like what's happening - so the dom has to keep within their likes.

The thing is, none of these points are wrong - only the conclusion is wrong. Yes, there is no dom without the sub, but that's also true visa versa. It's a dynamic - if you're missing one half of it then it's nothing.

Likewise, the sub does indeed get to choose the pace of the play, but so does the dom. This is where a careful balancing act has to take place initially. If you're spanking someone new you have to be careful not to push your victim too hard, else you won't have a partner for long. Likewise, be too soft and no-one has much fun. To this end, yes, the spanker has to play to the limits of the submissive.

However, say the submissive wants to be hit until the bleed, and the dom has a phobia of blood? They're not going to go all the way through with the act in this case, and will very likely shout COURGETTE long before skin is broken. Similarly, and this is an example I am aware of taking place - a submissive may be drunk, and therefore in no fit state to be within the confines of an impact, nay, any, scene. Many doms would do the responsibly thing in this instance and end the scene. No dom, no scene.

As I've just described above, just like the sub can wave a safeword around like a magic wand, a dom can use one in the wrong circumstances too. A submissive trying to dom from the bottom excessively may make a dominant feel uncomfortable, inadequate, or in fear for the wellbeing of the submissive. OK, the safeword may be a less used thing for a dom, but ending the scene is not new. As a dominant you need to be aware of your submissive bodily signals, and understand what different noises and movements mean. If the sub is in trouble end. the. damn scene.

The above isn't to say that the dominant actually holds all power in the relationship. I'm just showing that the examples given for submissive holding the power in relationships have flip sides. In reality, however, all of this is hypothetical, because it's the relationship that truly counts.

In a real relationship you negotiate likes and wants. Either person can be negotiated down or up. In this relationship you grow to understand your partner, and what's acceptable - from both the top and the bottom. If you break the rules, dom or sub, you can expect to get in trouble from the other.

Now, what is a D/S relationship? Simply, it's a power exchange. In the exchange the submissive gives their power over to the dominant. OK, not all of their power and not all the time - but they give up their power of movement, orgasm, pain, exposure... whatever you're in to. Then the dominant has control of this element, within the confined of the negotiation. This is the relationship - within terms accepted by both. Should the submissive ask for more than the dominant is willing to partake in, end of relationship; and visa versa.

The power given is the subs to control, but once given the power is the dominants, until given or taken back. Again, at first glance this seems weighted in favour of the submissive - but until the relationship is created no power exchange can happen. Going further, as the relationship progresses and less obvious exchanges in power take place then what is perceived to be the submissive's 'power' surely diminishes. The longer the exchange is active - i.e. the relationship is ongoing - the less actual pass over of power is required - the dominant and submissive are more relaxed in each other's presence, and more control over the dynamic the dominant can exert.

Yes, the submissive can end the relationship and any scene at any time, but so can the dominant, as described above.

A common misconception is that dominants are sexy-hungry one-brain-celled morons who will mindlessly flock to any submissive ass wiggles in the air. This is far, far not the case. We're picky - we need a submissive who fits our image of what D/s is, and who has the same interests and limits as us. This is why the relationship holds the power - without the happy relationship the exchange is only ever short term - neither the dom or the sub can hold it for more than a fleeting moment, and neither can exert it on the other once that moment has passed.

Nurture the relationship, and the power exchange can flourish. Be that switching, topping from the bottom, or being a full on house slave - the relationship is the power, and everyone in the relationship holds an equal say on how long that relationship lasts.

I'll gladly welcome any comments on this - and I'll happily clarify or have my opinions changed where appropriate. Thanks for reading
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1878 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I recently experienced this very point. My owner gave me one hour of corner time. This was a punishment for something i did and he told me it was time to think over the mistake I made. At the time, I didn't really understand what exactly I'd done wrong and I was angry about being punished; I thought it was unfair.
    We were unable to chat about it at the time (something we usually do before such a harsh punishment)so it wasn't easy for me. But Sir told me to trust him and that he'd explain and talk about it later.

So I did. It was very difficult. That hour was a very long time to just stand there with my pants around my ankles, nose touching the wall, angry and upset. I knew I could just quit at any time. I could just go and watch some tv instead. Sir wouldn't see any of it. But I didn't. I just stayed there, just like Sir had told me to. Why? Because we have a relationship, built on trust. Quitting wasn't an option because I knew that if I did, I'd break that trust. Both my own and his. I wanted to complete this.

Of course, if something really violates limits, a safe word is nessecary, but it isn't something that I'd use on a whim, when I find a task or punishment is hard. It was the strong relationship and trust that helped me complete the punishment and I was proud that I'd done it afterwards. And yes, I did come to realise exactly what I'd done wrong and why I needed to be punished during that hour. If anything, it strengthened our relationship.
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sub.lucy View Comment
    I recently experienced this very point. My owner gave me one hour of corner time. This was a punishment for something i did and he told me it was time to think over the mistake I made. At the time, I didn't really understand what exactly I'd done wrong and I was angry about being punished; I thought it was unfair.
    We were unable to chat about it at the time (something we usually do before such a harsh punishment)so it wasn't easy for me. But Sir told me to trust him and that he'd explain and talk about it later.

So I did. It was very difficult. That hour was a very long time to just stand there with my pants around my ankles, nose touching the wall, angry and upset. I knew I could just quit at any time. I could just go and watch some tv instead. Sir wouldn't see any of it. But I didn't. I just stayed there, just like Sir had told me to. Why? Because we have a relationship, built on trust. Quitting wasn't an option because I knew that if I did, I'd break that trust. Both my own and his. I wanted to complete this.

Of course, if something really violates limits, a safe word is nessecary, but it isn't something that I'd use on a whim, when I find a task or punishment is hard. It was the strong relationship and trust that helped me complete the punishment and I was proud that I'd done it afterwards. And yes, I did come to realise exactly what I'd done wrong and why I needed to be punished during that hour. If anything, it strengthened our relationship.
    Thank you for this comment, it is quite brave to post since this was very private.
    Indeed the punishment was harsh, but it was needed (and like you say, you recognized that aftwerwards). Like An_Jon said, it was nothing sexual, it was nothing in a flash.
    Not only getting the punishment was harsh, providing it was harsh as well. The real real real shit thing was that we could not chat like we usually do in situations like this.
    Similarly like you had difficulties to do the punishment, I was restless for full day. I did send you several mails, just to confirm i was still there, just to confirm i was with you.
    Luckily we could chat in the evening. We did for a few hours and all was good. Indeed the connection had grown.
    I could explain all background but actually I think its better to keep that private. I only want to say,..the punishment was needed. When you had completed your cornertime, and when we were able to talk it over, the reason became clear. You recognized, no,.. were sooo happy you had taken punishment for this.

Sooo,..
    Yes, I agree.
    We ran into a 24/7 relation. Neither of us had planned that, neither of us had done that earlier. it is actually very strange, but it happened.
    Our connection is intense.
    The connection IS the power.

Sometimes we play very sexual. Often however we just talk about anything. The biggest thing however is her submission. Her total trust.
    I have the power to break things. I "could" just come up with an extreme task and "see whether she survives". That would be betrayal. In stead, I always weight my task. I never play when drunk (and not a drip of alcohol when playing the edge). Any task she gets has been thought over and is given while fully being aware of the impact. New things I try carefully before getting intense. We stay in connection during each session.
    Sure,.. she has the ability to use a safeword, but she never used it. I'm sure she would hate it when it was needed. She knows I care. She knows I'm not drunk. She knows I have a reason. Still, she will if it is needed.
    Updated 10-02-2016 at 07:08 AM by sir stefan