Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > fork

Rate this Entry

for safe keeping

Posted 08-08-2009 at 12:06 AM by fork

In case my post gets mysteriously deleted..

Humans were originally meant to eat meat. Vegetarianism in humans is relatively new, so humans haven't evolved out of their canines yet (and they won't since the majority still eats meat). Having canines proves nothing seeing as humans also have a tail bone but no tail. Does that mean we're also supposed to have a tail? No.. we have no use for it. It's just there.

Veganism on the other hand, I'm not too sure about. I'm fairly positive that vegans still have to take some form of medical supplement. Vegetarians can find everything they need in plants and nuts, etc.

No, vegetarians don't eat fish. Some people do, and consider themselves vegetarians, but they are in fact only semi-vegetarians. There are such things as lacto-vegetarians, who eat dairy products but do not eat eggs.. and ovo-vegetarians who eat eggs but do not eat dairy products. lacto-ovo vegetarians eat both.. so I guess that can also be considered a regular vegetarian.

I myself was a vegetarian for some years, then quit for about a year, and then was a vegetarian for three more years. I have since quit since the diet was too hard to uphold in my family and I will be returning to my healthy way of life once I go to college.
I originally became a vegetarian for the first time as a closed-minded peta2 supporter. I have since then abandoned all support for peta2 (for reasons I will not go into, as this isn't an animal cruelty thread) and my reasons for being a vegetarian switched to strictly health. When I stopped eating meat.. I was like a new person. I could breathe easier. I could run farther. I was not tired all day even after a good night's sleep. Now, being back on meat.. I feel so worn out. I can feel the blood going through my veins. It's a horrible feeling, really. I'm not sure if any of you meat-eaters can feel this too.. but I can't WAIT to get off of this stuff again.
There's plenty of reasons why vegetarianism is good for the earth as a whole. Putting the obvious cruelty to animals and health benefits aside, it'd be fantastic for the economy and eliminating the hunger crisis. Well, not eliminating.. but definitely making a dent in it.
You see, animals such as cows and pigs are bred for slaughter. This means they breed the cows until they are just old enough and large enough to kill and then start it over again.
To be able to do this, you need large grazing pastures for the breeding cows to thrive. You need grain.. or whatever it is that they make pig, sheep, etc pellets from.. and a shit ton of it. You know who else eats this grain? Humans. I forget the exact ratio but I know that the amount of grain used in a year to feed the animals raised for slaughter could feed a crazy amount of people. I think it was like, the entire continent of Africa, comfortably. Thats a shit ton of wasted food! Not to mention, going back to the pastures, wasted land that could be used to farm healthier alternatives to meat protein.. or to build houses? I dunno.

Basically.. breeding cows for slaughter is like buying a big bottle of soda, dumping the soda out, filling it with water, and drinking that. Why? Why not just drink the water and not waste money on buying the soda bottle to carry it in? That's not the best metaphor but you know what I mean..
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2313 Comments 1
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Some good points made, but I have one point for you...

Humans, as you pointed out, evolved to eat meat. Canines are one of the more obvious adaptions, but as well as this, our entire digestive system and metabolism is based around eating at least some meat. Certainly not as much as we do in our western society, but it is pretty difficult to get all the nutrients we need from grain and vegetables alone.

Therefore, if we are going to eat meat, we should eat relatively energy-efficient meats, like chicken, and as little red meat as possible.

On that note, did you know that keeping a large dog as a pet requires more energy than driving an SUV? That amazed me :S