Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Oreo and her world of Cream!

Twist'er
Lick'er
Dunk'er

Your favorite Oreo cookie!
Rate this Entry

Sickle Cell Disease

Posted 08-21-2009 at 05:48 PM by oreo_is_back

Ok, if you're from a tropical region, or born to parents of such, you will know about this.
Anyway, I was diagnosed with this about a year ago, but don't know much about it...Untill now.
I was researching it as I was having female problems (Not to go in to detail,lulz.)
Anyway, I feel quite alone with it, and was wondering if anyone else suffers with it, or knows someone who does?
For those of you who don't know what it is (Pretty much like me, here is an insight)

Sickle-cell disease, or sickle-cell anaemia (or drepanocytosis), is a life-long blood disorder characterized by red blood cells that assume an abnormal, rigid, sickle shape. Sickling decreases the cells' flexibility and results in a risk of various complications. The sickling occurs because of a mutation in the hemoglobin gene. Life expectancy is shortened, with studies reporting an average life expectancy of 42 and 48 years for males and females, respectively.[1]

Sickle-cell disease, usually presenting in childhood, occurs more commonly in people (or their descendants) from parts of tropical and sub-tropical regions where malaria is or was common. One-third of all indigenous inhabitants of Sub-Saharan Africa carry the gene[2], because in areas where malaria is common, there is a survival value in carrying only a single sickle-cell gene (sickle cell trait).[3] Those with only one of the two alleles of the sickle-cell disease are more resistant to malaria, since the infestation of the malaria plasmodium is halted by the sickling of the cells which it infests.

The prevalence of the disease in the United States is approximately 1 in 5,000, mostly affecting African Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health.[4]

Tere is alot more information on it, but that's an overview. I didn't think much of it, untill it just said my age expectancie is 42-48 years old! It may not seem THAT young, but is young when normal people live till 70+ if they're lucky.

Someone shed some more light PLEASE. D:
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3728 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I might be able to explain a few things in English instead of medicalese. PM me if that is what you want... or if you have more specific questions, I'll see what I can find.

Edit - or contact me on my yahoo (see my profile)
    Updated 08-22-2009 at 11:23 AM by mafiaka
  2. Old Comment
    Erm. Okies. I will soon.