Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > fork

Rate this Entry

Tiger Lovers

Posted 08-08-2009 at 01:09 AM by fork
Updated 08-08-2009 at 01:18 AM by fork

(No, not the getdare user.. actual tigers.)

Today, I came across this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNhUPeuYk6Y

Being a white tiger lover myself, this is sickening and heartbreaking. I didn't know that THIS is what happened to create such a beautiful animal.. I mean, I knew they weren't natural wild animals but I did think they were some rare subspecies! I urge you all to watch that video which explains the "process" used to MAKE white tigers which in all honesty should be stopped. They are amazingly cute but I'd rather never see one again than have this keep going on.
For those of you who don't want to watch a simple 5 minute video, I'll explain it as best I can below.. but to be honest, you need to watch the video to get the full effect. It has pictures.

So, turns out white tigers are NOT a subspecies of its well known orange "cousins". They are pretty much test tube tigers made by excessive inbreeding. There is only one line of white tigers which makes it impossible to produce a white tiger cub without inbreeding. As most of you know, inbreeding can cause anything from mild to severe birth defects. Some are physical, like facial deformities or crossed eyes.. but some are on the inside, like mental illness and decreased life span.
Those are only the risks for the tigers that SURVIVE inbreeding. The video says 8 out of 10 white tiger cubs will die and only 1 in 10,000 tiger cubs are actually white. Do the math here..

Whatever, I'm done talkin' about it. WATCH THE VIDEO. poor tigeys. I love-ed youu.

Here's a good follow-up video. I may add more if I find some: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5_mzz-9i3g&feature=fvw
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3958 Comments 8
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Honestly, this is why I cannot STAND zoo's.
    Along with the fact that essentially its just keeping a perfectly healthy animal in a cage. I think white tigers are beautiful, but killing OTHER baby tigers if its not a white tiger is a bit extreme. =/
    I honestly think that white tigers shouldn't be here, even though they are beautiful..They are not natural, and like you said, they are test tube babies. =(
  2. Old Comment
    I feel sorry for them.. It's like purposely getting pregnant and smoking crack. I'd rather that baby not be born, than it be born and have to live with all the problems that come with life. It's sad but it's not worth it.
  3. Old Comment
    I agree. =/
    Sadly, now a days all people think about is money.
  4. Old Comment
    that vidio is tottally false, i know alot about this whole contreversey story, but white tigers orriginated somewhere in south africa (not the country but the region) infact there still is a national park there where there is a natural free population of white tigers, i knoe this because ive been there and seen it with my eyes
  5. Old Comment
    White tigers can't survive in the wild because of their colouring.. it's impossible. Prey would see them coming and they would never eat.
    I don't believe you. What's the name of this national park, so I can contact them and find out myself? If you don't know the name.. you have no credibility. It's like me saying my aunt raises white tigers and knows that they can talk but no one else does.
  6. Old Comment
    i will find the name for you, but white tigers are caused by a genetic mutation same with human albinos (dont quote me on that) this happens naturaly and the youtube thing ive watched and all it is a collection of pictures with a guy writing a message, in there is NO proof that white tigers dont exist in the wild and have been created by some evil money hungry scientists
  7. Old Comment
    It is a genetic mutation.. that's what the entire video was about. :| Fail.
    The "creation" part is when the breeders take 1 white tiger and inbreed it with another white tiger which causes deformities in their offspring (which is why incest is illegal with humans). I'm not saying they take DNA and put it in a test tube and then magically make a tiger.. they take, for example, a mother and make her breed with her son. Or a brother and sister, etc etc..
    The other way to make white tigers is by taking orange ones who carry the gene, but you still only have a 25% chance of getting a white cub. Out of that 25% chance, you have an even slimmer chance that this cub will come out healthy and "beautiful" that is, without any physical mutations that would keep it from surviving or make it "too ugly" to be put in zoos for show. That's why these ugly ones get killed. The orange babies that come out of this are unwanted and therefore also discarded or killed.
  8. Old Comment
    what maitro got wrong there is that the first white tiger was from south africa and there is a reserve(i think) there with a sign that says "home of the white tiger" but they hvae been caused of inbreeding, inbdreegind itselfm doesnt cause all these horrible diformaties what it is the gene pool getting smaller so if either parent tiger has a genetic ilness the cub is more likely to have it if it is in bred