Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Happy Valentine's Day

Posted 02-14-2017 at 09:35 AM by Butterfly

I personally love valentine's day. For me it has always been about showing love for everybody; not just romantic love.

Growing up my parents always gave us a little gift on valentine's day. It was about making each other feel special. Then we got to go to school and share our valentine's day treats with our friends. And over the years I still did those things. I like to bring a treat to work, or tell people how much I appreciate them. I like to buy a little something for my closest friends to let them know how much they mean to me. Or maybe I just do a good deed.

I don't need a fancy gift or an expensive card. But I do want to feel loved, not just today, but everyday. I have spent the past 9 valentines day's in a relationship. I have never once gone out to dinner on valentine's day. Instead, I usually eat at home, either cooking something special or taking a break and ordering dinner, and spending the night with my loved one. Sometimes I got flowers, or a card, or chocolate, but every year I felt loved. And that is the most important part.

Typically valentine's day is a day that I devote to the person I love. I take the extra time out of my schedule to cuddle with them, spend time with them, care for them, do something a little special for them. Not because I feel like I have to, but because I want to. And because I am busy and sometimes I need the reminder to take an extra day to do this.

But I am also the person who shows my love in little ways all year long. I leave little notes in his lunch or in the shower, I buy him something special when I am at the store, or I clean the house before he gets home so he can just relax.

And it means a lot to me if he buys me a flower on a random Tuesday, or if he offers to go to the grocery store and buy me my favorite treat.

I do agree that greeting cards are way overpriced and kinda pointless. But I love greeting cards just the same. They are even better if they are homemade. And there is no point giving one it you are just going to sign your name. The reason I love cards is because I want to see the special message inside. Even if you buy a $10 card, you can't just sign your name. It needs to have thought and feeling, and your thoughts and feelings, not the person being paid to write the card.

Yes, I think valentine's day is commercialized and there are unrealistic expectations set by the media for grand gestures and romantic notions but really it is all about love. And who can't use a little extra love with all the hate in our world.

So Happy Valentine's Day to everybody I love, like and tolerate.
Views 660 Comments 3
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I had to rate this as excellent. Because spreading love is always excellent! Happy Valentine's Day to you Miss!
  2. Old Comment
    Well said. Agree with you on many of your points. Happy Valentine's Day. My wife also made our daughter a special treat. Unicorn Poop Cupcakes. She thought it was hilarious.
  3. Old Comment
    I still love making gifts for people! I don't see any reason to "grow" out of that. It usually saves me money, I get to have fun doing it, the entire time I'm working on the project I'm thinking about my relationship with that person, and I can be sure that they'll think of me every time they see it.

I'm not super into any holidays. But lately I've been approaching them in a way that makes them fit me better instead of trying to fit into what someone else thinks I should enjoy. I think in general looking for pieces of the holiday that resonate with you and deciding the rest doesn't apply to you is a pretty easy way to go about it. And I thought some of the ways I saw people celebrate this last Valentine's day were pretty cool.

-going to the store, finding a Valentine's card you like, exchanging it with your SO, and putting it back on the shelf
    -celebrating pink (or other favorite color) and hearts and friends and family
    -thinking about all that candy you're going to get on discount the day after
    -finding songs your friends hate to torture them with (I have a strange idea of love)
    -indulge in an epic amount of self-love (may or may not include masturbation)