Thread: Fiction: The Palace on the Beach
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #26
Runesmith
Stranger with candy

"I thought you were happy here, Madam," ventured Zaheera cautiously. Rachel appeared to trust her, and she didn't seem like someone who would take offense easily, but this was dangerous ground in the politics-laden harem, where wives and concubines routinely plotted against each other.

"Oh, I am happy here," replied Rachel quickly, in a defensive tone that indicated that she was anything but. "The prince sends an allowance to my mom monthly, and he gifted her a little house with a garden in Cebu. And I am living in luxury here. That's more than I could have hoped for in my life." After a sigh, she added, "I just wish that he visited me more frequently. I hear he spends quite a lot of time with that... princess Suleika lately. I wonder what she does with him that he likes so much. I mean, I am sure I can do the same. I can learn."

When Zaheera didn't rise to the obvious bait, Rachel pressed the point. "Maybe you could ask the Pengiring that attend to her... I would really like to know what she has on him." After a pause, she added, "If you can help me, I will do what I can to put in a good word for you with that dragon woman... And I always treat you nice, right? Like a friend and not like a servant."

Zaheera could now understand why the Gundik had taken her in to confidence. It was to build a level of trust, so that she could ask Zaheera to spy on the princess. Even at this very young age, Rachel had the street smarts and survival instincts that Zaheera was only now beginning to develop. A concubine had no official stature, and the life they enjoyed could evaporate in an instant if they failed to please. Rachel, of course, would know that she could never aspire to the status of a wife, but being a favoured concubine could give her more security.

Knowing that she couldn't refuse, Zaheera nodded. As Rachel had remarked before, those who don't have power have no choice. In a way she was relieved that Rachel had made her intentions known upfront. After listening to the young concubine's story, Zaheera had almost felt as if she were a friend. But the request (order) that followed immediately after re-affirmed what Madam Li had told her - that there were no friends in this place.

That evening, instead of returning to her sleeping cell in the lower levels, Zaheera made her way to the office building. There weren't any checks on whether a Pengiring returned to their cells to sleep, as the concubines or princesses they serve would sometimes order them to stay overnight in their residences. They didn't even have permanent assigned cells (in the same way they weren't allowed to have possessions). They were assigned to rooms after dinner, and even the room mate for the night was assigned - unless they had someone they were training/guiding.

The door to the instructions room was unlocked, as always. Zaheera knocked softly at the door at the end of the room, and heard the rustle of clothes and the padding of feet within. The door opened, and the voice of Madam Li sounded surprised, "Why are you here today? You are supposed to report to me on Thursdays."
To play with me, you must be able to prove your gender.

Runesmith's Forgiveness thread - you're gonna need this

My stories:
Non-consensual Roleplay With a Stranger
The Cabin in The Woods
The Shanghai Girl
Palace on The Beach

My poems (yeah, poems):
The Winter
Runesmith is offline   Reply With Quote