View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 02:54 AM   #7
Runesmith
Stranger with candy

Icy Hot contains menthol and methyl salicylate. Menthol is a secondary alcohol that is extracted from plants such as peppermint, and methyl salicylate is an ester of salicylic acid, that is present in plants such as Wintergreen.

Both act on human skin by:
- hyper-exciting the thermoreceptors (temperature sensing nerve endings) under the epidermis
- dilating the capillaries under the skin
- increasing the leakage of fluids from capillaries in to the surrounding tissue

In effect, this is similar to what you get with a 1st degree burn, except that in the case of a thermal burn, the pain receptors are also activated.

Neither of these are toxic to humans at low dosage. I remember there was one reported death many years ago of an athlete that used methyl salicylate in high doses during a marathon or something.

Creams like Icy Hot contain a high concentration of both substances, because the epidermis of the skin keeps most such substances out. In fact, the menthol, being a secondary alcohol, actually increases the diffusion of methyl salicylate across the epidermis.

The place where you are considering to apply this cream has no epidermis. The diffusion will be rapid, and the effect would be intensely painful. If you apply a large quantity, you may get a severe chemical burn. It's not serious and won't cause permanent damage, but it can lead to infections and will be very, very uncomfortable... not to mention, difficult to explain to the doctor.

To use this safely on the mucosa:
- apply a very thin layer only, or
- dilute the Icy Hot by mixing with an emollient cream, like a Nivea skin cream

Either way, Icy Hot is not useful as a lubricant. It's greasy, not slippery.

If you want a lubricant with stinging sensation, go have a look at the line up of Durex lubricants at your local pharmacy. Some of them contain menthol, at safe concentrations.
To play with me, you must be able to prove your gender.

Runesmith's Forgiveness thread - you're gonna need this

My stories:
Non-consensual Roleplay With a Stranger
The Cabin in The Woods
The Shanghai Girl
Palace on The Beach

My poems (yeah, poems):
The Winter
Runesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Runesmith for this post: