Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 03-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Kitten
The One & Only

Default Might be just me

Sometimes I come across a post that has so many grammar and spelling mistakes, I just wanna correct them all and post the corrected version as a reply.
I usually don't do that anymore, because people would probably call me a nazi, and it's pretty much almost as sad as the person making the mistakes.
But gosh, it is hard to hold back sometimes.

Am I the only one that feels like this?
Some things just make me cringe.
.__.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
Belowyou

Sorry mam if I made any mistakes that upset you. English is not my first language so I'm sure there will be some things wrong with the way I write.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
XxxMistress
Account Banned

Talking No.

You're not alone.
English isn't my first either, But god!
Some people just don't know English. (I think they're using Google translation)

P.s: I loveeee to correct Fromo's Mistakes :3
XxxMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Blank
Account Banned

I have bad grammar and spelling, I have dyslexia but it's not alway's the case, Im just to lazy to go over my spelling and I type to fast sometime's xD
Old 03-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Sir_Ace

English is not my native language. Can you guess that Kitten?
Grammar does not exist in my country. I can spell well but I find it extremely difficult to master my main weakness, even now.
Growing up, when someone criticizes my grammar, that was like a blow to my confidence. It made me recheck my posts for any grammatical errors. Sure I studied hard cause I hated exposing my weakness so easily to others. But some out there may not be so lucky to received the kind of opportunity that I had.

So do hold back! But if you ever see me make any mistakes, tell me aye? Because I'm all about learning from my mistakes.
Grasp destiny with your own hands, enjoy every second of life and be strong no matter what obstacles block your progress in life. Accept who you are and be proud of yourself. And no matter what happens, don't ever regret or doubt yourself.

Thank you to all my friends here and the people that I normally interact with. Forgive me as well if I have made any mistakes. Take care and I wish you all the very best in life! Hopefully, we will meet again.

[/SIZE]
Sir_Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
DancingBear
Sister Sparrow

I feel the same sometimes.. but I feel even more strongly about laughing at the snootiness of some people on here. It's ridiculous how the internet can create this false sense of superiority for some. Like a shroud of snoot. LOL
DancingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
JohnDoe2b

I know that feeling, but I don't bother correcting people.

It does anoy me, that people spell so poorly, or that they don't care at all about how they come accross, but I also doubt that trying to correct them will change anything.

But also, there are people that have dyslexia and as such can't really help it.

But yes, I also cringe, when I read some of those posts...
JohnDoe2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Endu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Sometimes I come across a post that has so many grammar and spelling mistakes, I just wanna correct them all and post the corrected version as a reply.
I usually don't do that anymore, because people would probably call me a nazi, and it's pretty much almost as sad as the person making the mistakes.
But gosh, it is hard to hold back sometimes.

Am I the only one that feels like this?
Some things just make me cringe.
.__.
It's your age. It's youthful arrogance.

It's important for you to know that semantics and syntax are the focus of a weak and undisciplined mind.

I could write an essay on the psychology behind this, but I won't. I'll just say that it's grounded in your identity and an incomplete view of yourself.

When you get older - or god forbid, if you get sick like me - you'll realize how petty things like this are.

Life is much, much too short to get caught up in so many meaningless details.

It's natural, though. We've all been there. The fact you're learning to back off is a good sign. It's a sign of maturity, and maturity is wisdom, and a wise mind is a strong mind.

Edit: I should tack this on because I feel my post makes it seem like I'm going to die. I'm not. Pain is just a good life coach, and I've had a lot of it.

Last edited by Endu; 03-24-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Endu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Kitten
The One & Only

Sometimes I do feel people confuse lack of english skills with lack of knowledge of the topic, wich are ofcourse two completely different things. This is probably another reason why I don't actually go around correcting everybodys posts.
That someone can't explain a thing well in english doesn't mean they don't know anything about that thing.

Still, I also think that people forget that spelling and grammar rules are there to make our life easier. Some of us don't use any kind of punctuation, or scramble up words and sentences so much it genuinly gets hard to follow.
It's a lot easier to read something that someone put some effort into, it doesn't have to be much.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Leopard
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endu View Post

It's important for you to know that semantics and syntax are the focus of a weak and undisciplined mind.

I could write an essay on the psychology behind this, but I won't. I'll just say that it's grounded in your identity and an incomplete view of yourself.

When you get older - or god forbid, if you get sick like me - you'll realize how petty things like this are.

blah blah blah
This is a load of crap. People of all sorts of circumstances react differently to all sorts of things.

I don't think that everyone should have flawless English, or anything close to the mark, but I do think that everyone should make an effort to at least pass Primary school level standards. These days, many people cannot manage even that.

When online, you only have the words you choose to communicate with the majority of the time. If you message me with something along the lines of "cn i hav a master plz," I will ignore your existence, the same way you would ignore someone in filthy clothing, reeking of alcohol who screamed the same words at you on the street. People make an effort to appear presentable in public - why is online any different? Because of the mask of anonymity that grants people the ability to be lazy dicks. But if you're not going to make an effort to appear presentable, you shouldn't be surprised when people aren't interested in you in return.

Basically the entire argument burns down to "it's only the Internet, who cares." Which is the same tired argument that has been continuing for far too long. There are people behind the screens. The sooner you treat them as people, and respect them as people, the sooner you'll find them responding in kind.

Note: I'm only talking about native English speakers here - those speaking English as a second language don't make the same sorts of mistakes that the lazy do.
Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Mikkel_123

Quote:
wich are ofcourse two completely different things
I generally don't mind spelling mistakes. In most cases I still get the point.
Mikkel_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
AtticsToEden
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endu View Post

etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
This is a load of crap.
Well said, Leo. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Hello, my name is
Eden.

[ NineteenFemaleEnglandBisexual ]

Likes, Dislikes and Limits.

AtticsToEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
daremaster 1
getDare God

No this bugs me sometimes but I'm not one to be talking about bad grammer but it's insane sometimes.

When people have "Texting" spelling on here it just annoying. Also when people are so lazy they dont capitalize anything and don't put punctuations. But the worst is when people make stories and do this....... bill and i went to the store to buy some soap. he said what kind of soap should we buy. i said idk. This dosen't happen often but when people do make stories like this it's so unapealing.
daremaster 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
Endu

Quote:
Sometimes I do feel people confuse lack of english skills with lack of knowledge of the topic, wich are ofcourse two completely different things. This is probably another reason why I don't actually go around correcting everybodys posts.
That someone can't explain a thing well in english doesn't mean they don't know anything about that thing.

Still, I also think that people forget that spelling and grammar rules are there to make our life easier. Some of us don't use any kind of punctuation, or scramble up words and sentences so much it genuinly gets hard to follow.
It's a lot easier to read something that someone put some effort into, it doesn't have to be much.
That's true. I like the way you responded. This was exactly my point, or at least a big part of it.

If you can understand what a person says, I don't feel there's a reason to correct them.

The people you can't understand... I, personally, ignore them. For example, if it's an ad on a forum, I skip it, because chances are I wouldn't get along well with them anyway.

I'm very impressed.
Endu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
DancingBear
Sister Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticsToEden View Post
Well said, Leo. Couldn't have put it better myself.
He barely said anything in the line you quoted xD

I think it wasn't a load of crap.. but eh, whatever.

Also LOL at the spelling mistakes in Kitten's post. Irony.
DancingBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk