Old 01-06-2017, 03:06 AM   #1
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

Default Writer's software

Hey people, got a question what type of software do you use for writing?

I just got a new laptop, with windows 10, and I downloaded the free trail of grammarly, well it screwed windows up bad. I tried to get the software off, but I had to do a factory reboot (6 hours, to reboot, not fun).

So, bottom line, what software are you using, and what platform (Window 10, apple, or ?) are you using, and what do you think about it.

Thanks Michael.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
MasterMichaelNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:22 AM   #2
Cstelle
gD Curio

LibreOffice (on Windows and Linux). The price is right...

I'm especially keen on hidden/semi public stuff (preferably outdoors) and I like to take selfies; I'm averse to anything unethical, illegal, harmful, painful, messy/dirty/unsanitary/icky or otherwise unpleasant.
Cstelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:50 AM   #3
little pet
getDare Succubus

I write everything on my iPad Air 2. In Pages. The standard iOS software. For longer stories, I use a Bluetooth keyboard.

I love it. I can set the keyboard to English and just go. I like that I can immediately export to PDF or whatever format I like. Plus, it allows me to write anywhere; slumped on the couch, in bed, at the beach....

My DIY thread

My stories
My Art
My Blog
Toys I own

Likes: Humiliation, gags, anal, clamps, hidden public, spanking, cornertime, bondage, pet play, denial, messy.
Dislikes: Pacifier, nettles, crotchropes, toothpaste, atm, pee control, line writing, tack bra and panties, ice cubes.
Limits: scat, pictures/video, family, public

Last edited by little pet; 01-06-2017 at 03:52 AM.
little pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #4
RiskyFlame
Longtime User

I have Windows 10, and I am a cheap student. I got Microsoft Office 2016 365 for €3,99 a year because I am a student. And had a subscription on Grammarly via school, but that ended half a month ago now (unfortunately).

Either I ...
... write directly in a post on getDare and use the (paid) Grammarly plugin.
... write in MS Office 2016 365 (offline) and use the Grammarly Chrome plugin afterwards on getDare before I post it.

I've only really liked a handful of people in my life,
and you've been two of them.

—Hans Axgil—
RiskyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstelle View Post
LibreOffice (on Windows and Linux). The price is right...
Wow, thank for that, and yea, can't beat that price, compare to MS office.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
Old 01-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub.lucy View Post
I write everything on my iPad Air 2. In Pages. The standard iOS software. For longer stories, I use a Bluetooth keyboard.

I love it. I can set the keyboard to English and just go. I like that I can immediately export to PDF or whatever format I like. Plus, it allows me to write anywhere; slumped on the couch, in bed, at the beach....
Ok, i'm like techie old fashion. I believe something has to have weight to it. When I first learn to type, in the military, it was a old typewriter, a manual one, back in 1980. So, iPad Air, I look at it, it's like voodoo magic to me. And I used to laugh at my parents when they asked me for help to reset the clock on the VCR machine. (I wonder how many people on the site know what a VCR is, I'm getting old)

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
Old 01-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyFlame View Post
I have Windows 10, and I am a cheap student. I got Microsoft Office 2016 365 for €3,99 a year because I am a student. And had a subscription on Grammarly via school, but that ended half a month ago now (unfortunately).

Either I ...
... write directly in a post on getDare and use the (paid) Grammarly plugin.
... write in MS Office 2016 365 (offline) and use the Grammarly Chrome plugin afterwards on getDare before I post it.
Well, Guess what, I guess I'll be going back to Grammarly, because, after rebooting back to factory resetting, it wasn't the software screwing me up, it's the hardware. For some strange reason, my laptop, left clicks itself, so the cursor jumps all over the page. Either I have to return the laptop, or bluetooth a mouse to it to stop it.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
Old 01-07-2017, 01:53 AM   #8
MeisterRebus
Distinguished Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterRebus
Default Hi from Germany

I am journalist and author and wrote nine books in the last seven years. I used MS Office since the first one as the good old Adobe Pagemaker was no longer supported.
After 5000 pages - had no problem whatsoever (and I am no fan of Microsoft).

One of the Headmasters of the Elite Slave Training School

male, straight, dominant, strict, creative and experienced

loves - obedience, passion, dedication, intelligence and discipline, educating newbies

hates - fakes, wannabees, guys hiding behind girls profiles

hard limits - stupid people and time wasters

++ My kik/Signal/Telegram is MeisterRebus ++

Reminder: If you can't stand the heat, don't dance with the devil...
MeisterRebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:01 AM   #9
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

I agree office is great, but you can't beat the price of LibreOffice. It's 0.00
And I have wrote with MS too, and it's great. But you kind of get tried of them raising their price every year, and not making major changes.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
Old 01-07-2017, 03:49 AM   #10
MeisterRebus
Distinguished Member

Sorry, as a professional writer I don't care about the price. It has absolutely no importance for me. could be the double or more, I deduct it from taxes.

For me the ease of using the program, the support, the updates and the possibility of trouble free writing are the major points. It's like the tools of my car mecanic - they are the best there is, no matter the price. And Office is for me a tool to create my books. I don't especially love it, Adobe Pagemaker could do some things better, but after many years I live with it and use id every day.

loves - obedience, passion, dedication, intelligence and discipline, educating newbies

Old 01-07-2017, 05:08 AM   #11
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

Yea, I can understand that. But also there seems to be a lot of new software out for writers this year. Like critic, it tells you if your repeating words, for example, "John turned to sally and said," and if you keep on repeating it, it warns you to switch it up, use different words, and so forth. Bla, bla, bla.

When I think of the other software that I thought was interesting and can be helpful, i'll come back. I'm just finishing off at work, and my mind is Shot.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #12
MeisterRebus
Distinguished Member

I see. But please never forget that I write my books in german...so I would need a software with language plug-ins and a rather complete thesaurus for this. And I really haven't found anything useable in "day to day writing" ( I write every day between three and 15 pages), with a "search" function (I need often to find some facts in the 400 or so pages that I have already written for a specific book I work on) and a grammatic-control with the newest grammar rules (for german).
This definitely reduces the choice....

Old 01-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #13
MissMaria
Distinguished Member

In my software experience there are usually multiple software at all different prices ranging from 0 to hundreds and not always for the best reasons. But the one thing I have found is that for ultimate compatibility with different plugins and languages there is some type of charge as there is more coding involved and if you don't use those plugins it is easy to believe that you are being over charged compared to another software that is capable of doing the job you want to do.

It is for that reason that my answer would be its not what software do other people use that is the real question it is what software can do the job you need it to at a price you find acceptable.

That said I use MS Office, because I can and I am used to it, though in history I have also used a range of other writing programs including open office that is a close second to MS O without a price tag.

Likes, Dislikes & Limits
PM Commands

Member of the unofficial getDare PM Dare Commission.
Help spread the word and the PM Dares! Join Today!
PM me a dare to find out how.
MissMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #14
ancipiter

I write short stories in Scrivener (used to be macOS only, now also available for Windows). Commercial, but a number of unusual features, like character sheets and scratch areas to drop bits of text or research until you know what to do with them. It has a number of presets for formatting, although I haven't used the ones for scripts at all.

For short films and serials I've always used CeltX (which is annoying sometimes, but free). For articles and essays I tend to write in OpenOffice (predates LibreOffice I think, so mostly habit), which I've used for non-fiction for a very long time, going back to the first book I wrote ages ago.

I tried the Grammarly plugins for a while last year, and was disappointed with what it thought was poor grammar and I thought was good style. In particular it struggled with the fiction I was writing for various reasons.
ancipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #15
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterRebus View Post
I see. But please never forget that I write my books in german...so I would need a software with language plug-ins and a rather complete thesaurus for this. And I really haven't found anything useable in "day to day writing" ( I write every day between three and 15 pages), with a "search" function (I need often to find some facts in the 400 or so pages that I have already written for a specific book I work on) and a grammatic-control with the newest grammar rules (for german).
This definitely reduces the choice....
You know what you just said is surprising to me. When I hear Germany, I always think, quality tech, and ahead of it times. Guess I was wrong.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]

Advertisements
Kink Talk