Old 01-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #16
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaria View Post
In my software experience there are usually multiple software at all different prices ranging from 0 to hundreds and not always for the best reasons. But the one thing I have found is that for ultimate compatibility with different plugins and languages there is some type of charge as there is more coding involved and if you don't use those plugins it is easy to believe that you are being over charged compared to another software that is capable of doing the job you want to do.

It is for that reason that my answer would be its not what software do other people use that is the real question it is what software can do the job you need it to at a price you find acceptable.

That said I use MS Office, because I can and I am used to it, though in history I have also used a range of other writing programs including open office that is a close second to MS O without a price tag.
First off, thanks for the reply Miss
What I'm leaning towards to do with the new laptop, is go with MS (so far), and I order some additional hardware to make it easier on myself typing, like a mechanical keyboard, also I won't wear out the keyboard, like I did on my last laptop.

A lot of the software, I have already tried, I didn't like. For example, Plotting, there was one were sticky notes would of been more effect, for a minor outline on the chapter. But MS, or something similar is going to be at the root of my writing.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
MasterMichaelNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #17
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancipiter View Post
I write short stories in Scrivener (used to be macOS only, now also available for Windows). Commercial, but a number of unusual features, like character sheets and scratch areas to drop bits of text or research until you know what to do with them. It has a number of presets for formatting, although I haven't used the ones for scripts at all.

For short films and serials I've always used CeltX (which is annoying sometimes, but free). For articles and essays I tend to write in OpenOffice (predates LibreOffice I think, so mostly habit), which I've used for non-fiction for a very long time, going back to the first book I wrote ages ago.

I tried the Grammarly plugins for a while last year, and was disappointed with what it thought was poor grammar and I thought was good style. In particular it struggled with the fiction I was writing for various reasons.
Ok, that's one of the software I want to try, Scrivener. I glad to hear that you like it, and I'll look up CeltX, and see if it can be helpful to fiction writing.

Thanks.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
MasterMichaelNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 AM   #18
m55uk4younger
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMichaelNY View Post
Ok, i'm like techie old fashion. I believe something has to have weight to it. When I first learn to type, in the military, it was a old typewriter, a manual one, back in 1980. So, iPad Air, I look at it, it's like voodoo magic to me. And I used to laugh at my parents when they asked me for help to reset the clock on the VCR machine. (I wonder how many people on the site know what a VCR is, I'm getting old)

Betamax was the best system, ah retro tech!
m55uk4younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 AM   #19
m55uk4younger
Distinguished Member

Default Word processing

Then of course there was Lotus AMIpro.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #20
Cstelle
gD Curio

Quote:
Originally Posted by m55uk4younger View Post
Then of course there was Lotus AMIpro.
I was a huge fan of Ami Pro. It was such a relief to be able to leave WordPerfect that I still remember my joy. (I think I used it both on Windows and on OS/2.) I never got along with WP - to which I came from WordStar.

I'm especially keen on hidden/semi public stuff (preferably outdoors) and I like to take selfies; I'm averse to anything unethical, illegal, harmful, painful, messy/dirty/unsanitary/icky or otherwise unpleasant.
Cstelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #21
m55uk4younger
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstelle View Post
I was a huge fan of Ami Pro. It was such a relief to be able to leave WordPerfect that I still remember my joy. (I think I used it both on Windows and on OS/2.) I never got along with WP - to which I came from WordStar.
AmiPro still works with Windoze, not sure after XP, but no long filename support, Microsoft tend to buyup rival software then either cripple it or bin it.

Last edited by m55uk4younger; 01-09-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #22
Isaera

I've used MS Office (expensive but one of the best there is) and Google Docs (free, just online only). They are my go to, office is worth the investment in the long term. I've written 80,000 word manuscripts there & it has not failed me

Websites/apps like Wattpad, Quotev & Movellas are good for drafting, you can use it a bit like google docs, no need to publish it there. It's good because you can add chapters and create books, then transfer it over to what you want. (Wattpad is my fav of the three). You can write directly in to Literotica too if all you want is a place to save drafts... good communities too if you want more places to be publishing work but be careful with wattpad, q, and movellas, tag everything appropriately!!! I cannot stress this enough.

Scrivener, Evernote (good for transferring between devices & free), Pages (ioS only), Zen Writer are good programs.

Grammarly isn't the best for me... It's good, but I've had too much stuffing around with it. There's free alternatives like Hemingway Writer and Slick Write, etc.

Likes- Mild pain, spanking, masturbation, humiliation, teasing, denial
Dislikes- Nipple torture, long dares, pee, ice,
Limits- Scat, public, blood (knives, needles, piercings, etc), permanent, blackmail..
Isaera is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk