Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Truth OR Dare > Truth or Dare Stories > The Authors' Cafe

Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Officelover
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Post The scale

I have created the idea for a scale of measuring how good a story is. It's grounded in five parts. They are as follows:

1. Spelling and Grammar
2. Description
3. Originality
4. Alibidonous
5. Length

Yes, I've just coined the term "Alibidonous".

Allow me to explain:

1. SPELLING AND GRAMMAR: (30 pts.)

If you run a story through Microsoft Word, odds are you'll get some sort of red or green line underneath the words. True, there are some certain things like sentence fragments that are understanble. That's poetic licence.

But for every incomprehensible error marking, we should deduct half a point from the "final score". So a post with six spelling and grammar errors will have three points taken away. Seem fair?

2. DESCRIPTION (30 pts.)

Consider the two possible ways of describing a walk at nighttime.

"It was night. The girl went out of her house, and walked down the street."

"On that one beautiful moonlit night, the stars shone brightly. Jessica slipped out of her house, and stared into the sky. It was cold, and she wished she'd brought a jacket. The stars were pinholes of light in her dark mood right now.

Jessica wore a blue T-Shirt, and a white skirt. She remembered the last time she slipped out at night like this- it always had a calming effect on her.

She sauntered down the road, wondering what would await her..."

Things to add:
  • Adjectives and adverbs. These really help paint a picture of the moment. Instead of having "I saw a house." you could say "I thankfully saw a brightly-lit, beautiful house."
  • Metaphors and similies- All part of the "writers toolbox". (Metaphors are like "The sunset was painted by God." A similie includes 'like' or 'as' and is like "The sunset looked like it was painted by God." or "It was if the sunset was painted by God.")
  • Use a wide vocabulary. getDare is 13 up. I should hope we all know at least three synonyms for "see", "happy", "go", "good", "like".
(see- http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/see/)
(happy- http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/happy/)
(go- http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/go/)
(good- http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/good/)
(like- http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/like/)
  • Stay away from monotony. Try reading this: "Jeremy was happy that day. He went to check his e-mail. He got dressed. He went down stairs. He ate breakfast. He said "Good morning mom." His mome said "Good morning." -pretty terrible right? Well, try using a mixture or nouns and pronouns, and split up the way you add quotations.
  • Give Background information. And that's not just saying, in the beginning, "Jessica had blonde hair. She was tall, and hot. She had 38DD boobs." Background information should be included in almost every chapter, mixed in with the dialogue and story.
  • BE DESCRIPTIVE!
So, there should be about 30 points for the description. That's six points for every topic. If a post uses many adverbs and adjectives, no metaphors and similies, a fairly wide vocabulary, is not very monotonous, and gives background information, it should get 18 points, rather than the full thirty.

3. ORIGINALITY (30 pts.)

How many stories involve taking pictures and blackmail? I know mine does. But within the story itself, mine is very different from, say- Insanity's (whose? never mind.) "Sarah's First Time as a Slave".

So my suggestion for this is totally how new the plot or the dares or the ordeals are. Half should go to real plot (15 points for what major things happen- boy takes picture of girl. Blackmails her. Uses her as sex slave. Lets her go. She is changed, for the better.) and half should go to the things done (ex. ageplay, petplay, whipping, torture, etc...)

4. ALIBIDONOUS (20 pts.)

I've created this term to mean "not neccesarily having to do with the libido." This basically means, not just about sex. If your story is a story solely focused around the ultamite rape or consentual sex of a blackmailed woman, it is taking away from the other peices of the story (e.g. how she reacts, his/her inner psychology, other horrible things he makes her do, etc...)

It doesn't neccesarily have to do all with sex. Sex can be involved, but I don't think it should be the basis of the story.

5. LENGTH (20 pts.)

Short posts are frustrating. It's common knowledge. It may be annoying, but post longer please. Thank you. But too long is also annoying.

(Reallllllllllllllllllllllllly long- 15 pts.
Very Long- 20
Long- 15
Medium- 10
Short- 0/5)

TIPS
  • Run your posts through Microsoft Word or any wrod proccessor really before you post them here. It makes things look better, and will remove spelling and grammar errors.
  • Need synonyms? Antonyms? Try the thesaurus. Don't have one? Try this: http://thesaurus.reference.com/
  • "Wait- what's the difference between a metaphor and a similie?" http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...metaphors.aspx Never fear, grammar girl is here!
  • Don't use the name Sarah. Please. It's been used over 40 times. I've counted.
  • Use humor, but sparingly.
  • You might want to save the story on Word, and move it here. It's happened to me, like, thirty times that I've typed a whole section only for it to be deleted and gone for good.
  • You might want to say the dialogue out loud, to see if it sounds natural.
**********Form**********

1. Spelling and Grammar- how many errors? #/2=____
2. Description
____ / 30

a. Adjectives and Adverbs:
A lot- 6/6
A little- 3/6
Never- 0/6

b. Metaphors and Similies:
A lot- 6/6
A little- 3/6
Never- 0/6

c. Vocabulary:
Wide- 6/6
Moderately Wide- 3/6
None- 0/6

d. Advoids monotony?
Completely- 6/6
Sometimes- 3/6
Never- 0/6

e. Background information:
A lot- 6/6
A little- 3/6
None- 0/6

3. Originality
___ / 30

PLOT: ___ / 15
EVENTS: ___ / 15

4. Alibidonous
_ _ / 20

5. Length
___/ 20
Reallllllllllllllllllllllllly long- 15 pts.
Very Long- 20
Long- 15
Medium- 10
Short- 0/5

BONUS POINTS-
___ / 10

Why? __________________________________________________ _______

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Standard grades apply, so from:

100-97 is A+
96-93 is A
92-90 is A-
90-87 is B+
86-83 is B
82-80 is B-
80-77 is C+
76-73 is C
72-70 is C-
70-67 is D+
66-63 is D
62-60 is D-
Anything below 60 is an F

Please comment on this! This took me forever!

Love,

Officelover

Last edited by Officelover; 06-18-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Officelover is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 users say Thank You to Officelover for this post:
Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Coyote
getDare Addict

This should either be stickied or put in the Best of Getdare forums
Limits:Public,Involving Other People, Illegal, Pee/Poop, High Risk of Getting Caught,Extreme Pain,Anal,Messy/Water,(Backyard might be ok), Masturbation
24/M/USA
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=32347

AFTER HOURS!!(GOOD READING)
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Person
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via MSN to Person Send a message via Yahoo to Person

Yes this is good, I think it should be stickied.
Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
plaything
Account Banned

Send a message via MSN to plaything Send a message via Yahoo to plaything
Default stupid

i think this is kinda worthless.....people can judge the story on their own and different things matter to different people so the scale cant help all getdare users
plaything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
plaything
Account Banned

Send a message via MSN to plaything Send a message via Yahoo to plaything

but thats just my opinion....this scale might matter to different people and they may have a totally different take on it then i do
plaything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Komodo Jones
getDare Succubus

It's a good idea Officelover...but I think you're just being a little too critical about this subject. There are some points that I agree with I can say that much, like there should be background, avoid monotony, stay away from the name of Sarah! I think that you should remember that the majority of authors here write to entertain people and themselves not to recieve a grade. There are some good tips that people should read but I don't think you necessarily need a scale to grade whether it's a good story or not. People can discern that from their own opinions and tastes.

38/male/partially bi/switch
D/s Status: Protector, Dom and Daddy of pixie.dust

I love meeting new, nice, smart people. I communicate through Discord mainly.

What are my limits/likes/supplies?
Click here!

Check Out my Literary Works
Targeting the Ignored [Fiction]
Some Stuff I've Done (Non-Fiction)
Komodo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
glue
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to glue

i agree with Komdo jones, its a brilliant idea and well done on the effort you up into this, as i can see you put alot of it in, however people have their own opinions like i have my own scoring system.

10/10 for effort
7/10 for the idea

WATCH OUT FOR A GLUE RATING OUT OF TEN
glue would like to tell everyone reading this to stay
sticky as life is to short to become unstuck

I'm the Simon Cowell of GetDare

Please add me at:

8 Years On Getdare!!!!!!
glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

Ooh, this is fantastic. I particularly like the Originality part. I'm tired of seeing 'Blackmail to Slave' in the first chapter in many stories. And the Alibidonous, not having to do with just, and spelling and grammar must never be forgotten.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Psychoclaw

Some of the points can be budged a little (Hemmingway's stories, for example, can seem monotonous but have a great deep meaning to every line :P) but for the most part this is amazing. Just one question. Will you go over my English essay with me?

Yes: Nudity, Public, Humiliation, Slavery, Bondage, Leashes, Pet Play
No: Excrement, Injuries, Family, Dangerous, Permament, Minors
Psychoclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
quidproquo

Officelover, I really like this, and I think a lot of writers would do well to read this, even some I've seen who are published. However, I feel like it is somewhat incomplete.

It seems to me you are focusing on microelements of the story such as word choice, grammar, and plot, which is fine, but I think there are many stories that do well in these areas but are still somewhat mediocre. I would encourage sections that evaluate macroelements like suspense, character development, theme, irony, dramatic tension, and voice.

I do not think these are elements that are too high minded for T or D stories, in fact, I think elements like these make the crucial difference between something that is merely a power or sexual fantasy and something that is a truly enjoyable story.

For example, lot of stories have great potential for character development and tension. Perhaps the person blackmailing feels ethical qualms about his behavior, or he is acting out his need for control because he actually feel impotent, or whatever works for your character, but these tensions are rarely really explored, let alone developed or resolved in a way the provides an interesting and changing character.

Perfection is simple, real people are complex. If I write the perfect master or the perfect slave, he/she is not believable. The more I rush through a story to get to plot elements, the more it is boring. I think complex, conflicted, and multi-faceted characters lead to interesting stories, even if they are less 'ideal' or extreme.

Just some thoughts...
quidproquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Dylan xX
Distinguished Member

I printed this up and I use it for my school english assignments too now!!

Excellent job OfficeLover!

This could really help some people
Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
coolio5

Thanks OfficeLover, this is great.

And if you wouldnt mind, would you please grade my story (That crazy school trip...) with it? Thanks so much

Limits: permanent, illegal, family, poo, anal, extreme pain

PM me with any good dares

HIGH QUALITY READING MATERIAL:

FINISHED "Strip Basketball"!!!!
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=11996
(3rd place in the 2008 Storyteller's Choice Awards!!!)

IN PROGRESS "That crazy school trip..."
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthrea...904#post182904
coolio5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #13
chubbsman7

This should definitely be stickied.

I congratulate you on writing this. I can tell you definitely put a lot of time, and effort into putting this post up.

I don't have much time to write anymore, but I plan on concluding my story in the next several posts. It's not a long story, but it's not a short story.

I can stand almost ANY story, as long as the grammar in it isn't horrible, and unstandable.

Adjectives make everything work. Adjectives adjectives adjectives!

This post is by far the best post in the Authors Cafe, thank-you VERY much!

...And So Summer Starts (Lauren's View)

With these stories, I'll try to update every Monday or so. It depends on my work schedule, really. But I'll post as often (as appropriate, definitely not everyday!) as I can!

Also: A side project of mine:

The In The Black Fedora
chubbsman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
CollaredBlondie
getDare Addict

This is a really good idea! I can't guarantee that many will use it though...

But still go you for posting it =)

23/F/UK
The most fun dare I've ever read: Click me!
I do not give dares.
I do not take dares.
I am not looking for an Owner.
And, seriously, what part of my username suggests that I'm a Domme?!

Any questions? (My 'ask me anything' thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophical
<spice girls> If ya wanna be my master, gotta get in my chat, being a wannabe is easy but I think you're quite a tw... </spice girls>
CollaredBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
Officelover
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Smile

Might I add that every grade should be bumped up by 10 points, just to be fair. I'd like to thank everyone for their comments, and I might come out with an edited version of this soon.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisements
Kink Talk