Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Truth OR Dare > Truth

Old 07-05-2018, 12:48 AM   #1
ReluctantExhibition

Default Question about kink effecting life

Hi everyone!

I wanted to know some people's experience with kink and their lives. I sometimes feel very nervous/hesitant about my kinks and exploring them due to my fear of it effecting my normal life. I'm studying to be in a field where the opinion of your peers is important, and I fear that if I get too involved (partially why pictures are a limit for me), if things get found out, it could negatively impact my life.

So my questions are: do you ever feel that your kinks hold or have held you back? Do you think they've helped you move forward? Do you have difficulty compartmentalizing your kinky/bdsm life from your vanilla life? If so, why do you think that is? If you find it easy, how do you manage to keep your lives separate and worry free?

Sorry for the long post, but I would really appreciate any honest input from users!
Limits: Bodily fluids/scat/toilet/permanent/long term/chastity/family/friends/social suicide/extreme pain/illegal/age play/pet play/face

My BDSM Test: http://bdsmtest.org/r/qnxAat8d
ReluctantExhibition is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to ReluctantExhibition for this post:
Old 07-05-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
lilith_
getDare Devil

Usually I am open about my kinky life, even to vanilla people (the ones I choose to open up to). If I am in a relationship with a Dom I don't want to pretend that I am his girlfriend. I am not his girlfriend, I am his sub AND his lover. But not everyone accepts it. I've had friends be concerned because they couldn't understand that this is what I want. They thought I had a problem if I was willing to accept "abuse" and "manipulation". I guess that's the negative impact on my vanilla life. I don't want to hide who I am or pretend that we are something else of what we are. If I want to call him Sir in front of people or ask permission to eat/drink/do something, I want to be able to do it without getting dirty looks or having people think that I am a freak. I guess I won't ever be able to have that unless I only hang out with kinky people.

last orgasm: november 2022
my discord server: how to get in
wanna message me? my usernames
lilith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to lilith_ for this post:
Old 07-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
rhode64
getDare Patriot

Send a message via AIM to rhode64 Send a message via MSN to rhode64 Send a message via Yahoo to rhode64
Default me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantExhibition View Post
Hi everyone!

I wanted to know some people's experience with kink and their lives. I sometimes feel very nervous/hesitant about my kinks and exploring them due to my fear of it effecting my normal life. I'm studying to be in a field where the opinion of your peers is important, and I fear that if I get too involved (partially why pictures are a limit for me), if things get found out, it could negatively impact my life.

So my questions are: do you ever feel that your kinks hold or have held you back? Do you think they've helped you move forward? Do you have difficulty compartmentalizing your kinky/bdsm life from your vanilla life? If so, why do you think that is? If you find it easy, how do you manage to keep your lives separate and worry free?

Sorry for the long post, but I would really appreciate any honest input from users!
My kink doesn't interfere with my normal life because my kink is part of who I am and my friends accept me warts and all .
rhode64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
ReluctantExhibition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_ View Post
Usually I am open about my kinky life, even to vanilla people (the ones I choose to open up to). If I am in a relationship with a Dom I don't want to pretend that I am his girlfriend. I am not his girlfriend, I am his sub AND his lover. But not everyone accepts it. I've had friends be concerned because they couldn't understand that this is what I want. They thought I had a problem if I was willing to accept "abuse" and "manipulation". I guess that's the negative impact on my vanilla life. I don't want to hide who I am or pretend that we are something else of what we are. If I want to call him Sir in front of people or ask permission to eat/drink/do something, I want to be able to do it without getting dirty looks or having people think that I am a freak. I guess I won't ever be able to have that unless I only hang out with kinky people.
Hmm, that's interesting! That thought never even crossed my mind! But if you're comfortable with your dom and relationship with him, do you think that you could call him Sir and ask permission in public comfortably, despite the stares?

Also, does your kink effect your work/professional life at all? Do you think it potentially could? Sorry, I don't mean to be nosy, it's just these are all concerns I, personally, have that I could use some guidance with based upon how others have experienced these things (or have not in Rhodes64's case).
Limits: Bodily fluids/scat/toilet/permanent/long term/chastity/family/friends/social suicide/extreme pain/illegal/age play/pet play/face

Old 07-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
ReluctantExhibition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhode64 View Post
My kink doesn't interfere with my normal life because my kink is part of who I am and my friends accept me warts and all .
That's awesome to hear! It's definitely reassuring to hear responses like that where you could enjoy your kinks judgment free!

Old 07-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
ReluctantExhibition

Thanks for your responses! If anyone else has experience, please feel free to chime in. The more perspectives, the better!

Old 07-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Kitten
The One & Only

Do you ever feel that your kinks hold or have held you back?
No, I never felt like that. Aspects of myself have held me back in the past but kink has never been one of them.

Do you think they've helped you move forward?
Yes, in some ways. Because they made me think more deeply about things such as communication, standing up for yourself, clear agreements and expectations, etc. Also, knowing I can take more than I might have expected of myself before. I feel that that's helped me in general life, too.

Do you have difficulty compartmentalizing your kinky/bdsm life from your vanilla life? If so, why do you think that is?
Not at all.

If you find it easy, how do you manage to keep your lives separate and worry free?
I don't. Not anymore than I would keep my private business private, anyway. I do not tell people about vanilla sex or masturbation habits, I do not tell people about my past, I wouldn't randomly grope or snog someone in public either so I have no issues holding back anything else that I feel is private or inappropriate in certain contexts. I do not tell people unless they are near and dear to me, in which case they will either accept it or they can piss off anyway. So it's no conscious effort for me. I just don't feel obliged to share, it doesn't weigh on me.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Kitten for this post:
Old 07-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
darkblue
getDare Sweetheart

Hi and thank you for this question.

I am not young anymore and can tell, that I had all of my kinks already when I was very young. Perhaps not in this intensity, but they accompanied and influenced me the whole life. I always had problems, when I met a girl that only wanted vanilla sex. Now I found a very kinky, young woman and my sex life is great... if we lived in the same country, but this is another story.
My kinks made me most of my life insecure about myself, and it lasted long, that I finally accepted them as a part of me. If you are alone before internet was invented, it can be hard. My kinks of course affected my life. I have no vanilla life anymore, I am married, but without sex.
Your kinks are stronger than you.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
ReluctantExhibition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Do you ever feel that your kinks hold or have held you back?
No, I never felt like that. Aspects of myself have held me back in the past but kink has never been one of them.

Do you think they've helped you move forward?
Yes, in some ways. Because they made me think more deeply about things such as communication, standing up for yourself, clear agreements and expectations, etc. Also, knowing I can take more than I might have expected of myself before. I feel that that's helped me in general life, too.

Do you have difficulty compartmentalizing your kinky/bdsm life from your vanilla life? If so, why do you think that is?
Not at all.

If you find it easy, how do you manage to keep your lives separate and worry free?
I don't. Not anymore than I would keep my private business private, anyway. I do not tell people about vanilla sex or masturbation habits, I do not tell people about my past, I wouldn't randomly grope or snog someone in public either so I have no issues holding back anything else that I feel is private or inappropriate in certain contexts. I do not tell people unless they are near and dear to me, in which case they will either accept it or they can piss off anyway. So it's no conscious effort for me. I just don't feel obliged to share, it doesn't weigh on me.
Thank you for sharing your experience! It is encouraging to see kinks being almost cathartic outside of just the actual sexual pleasure, rather than a stressor. Do you ever worry about colleagues finding out about your kinks, and it impacting your work-life?

Old 07-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
ReluctantExhibition

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblue View Post
Hi and thank you for this question.

I am not young anymore and can tell, that I had all of my kinks already when I was very young. Perhaps not in this intensity, but they accompanied and influenced me the whole life. I always had problems, when I met a girl that only wanted vanilla sex. Now I found a very kinky, young woman and my sex life is great... if we lived in the same country, but this is another story.
My kinks made me most of my life insecure about myself, and it lasted long, that I finally accepted them as a part of me. If you are alone before internet was invented, it can be hard. My kinks of course affected my life. I have no vanilla life anymore, I am married, but without sex.
Your kinks are stronger than you.
This is a very interesting experience with kinks. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad that you have accepted them as a part of you. I also really appreciate your honesty with how kinks have maybe not had the most positive impact on your life, as that's something I worry about personally. I like to think that I'm stronger than my kinks, but it is a real concern. Again, thank you for sharing!

The following user says Thank You to ReluctantExhibition for this post:

Advertisements
Kink Talk