Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
mrpropel
Truth or Dare Junkie

Default Strange Falling Sensation

I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else before. Has anyone else ever waken up suddenly to a falling sensation and a strong muscle twitch just after you have fallen asleep? It happens to me sometimes and I never bothered to care enough to look into it until now. Apparently it's called a Hypnic jerk,

So I wonder, has this happened to anyone else and if so how often does it happen for you?

Thanks!

hi there! hope you are having a great day! feel free to say hi to me on discord! `Bantering` love you all <3
mrpropel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Leopard
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Yeah, all the time. Apparently it has something to do with your body shutting down for sleep and another part thinking it's shutting down for death and freaking out to wake it up.
Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
JustaBrony

*nods* it hasn't happened for awhile, but I actually always loved the falling feeling.

Needs: Snuggles
Loves: Yummy cummy cum cum, Long term, Anal, Feminization/sissification, Bedtime stories, Diapers, Honesty, Being called Princess, Humiliation, Hidden public.
Likes: Age play, Bladder control, Hypnosis, Submission, Minor crossdressing, Orgasm control, Edging, Public.
Dislikes: Punishments, Spankings, Bad spelling, Lines.
Limits: Lying, Family/friends, Blood/danger.

JustaBrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
mrpropel
Truth or Dare Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
Yeah, all the time. Apparently it has something to do with your body shutting down for sleep and another part thinking it's shutting down for death and freaking out to wake it up.
Well... damn. That's odd yet interesting at the same time. Thanks for the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabrony View Post
*nods* it hasn't happened for awhile, but I actually always loved the falling feeling.
Yeah! I actually started kinda like it after awhile.

hi there! hope you are having a great day! feel free to say hi to me on discord! `Bantering` love you all <3
Old 12-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
Leopard
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

These days I get weird spasm jerk things a lot while going to sleep - they aren't really the full falling jolt awake thing though.

I remember I used to get to sleep by imagining I was on a plane and that it was rolling towards one direction and my head would start feeling the roll as it it was really happening. Probably not related, just came to mind.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
JustaBrony

Quote:
These days I get weird spasm jerk things a lot while going to sleep - they aren't really the full falling jolt awake thing though.

I remember I used to get to sleep by imagining I was on a plane and that it was rolling towards one direction and my head would start feeling the roll as it it was really happening. Probably not related, just came to mind.
Ew about the jerky things, they don't sound as fun. That's hilarious about the plane thing though.

Needs: Snuggles
Loves: Yummy cummy cum cum, Long term, Anal, Feminization/sissification, Bedtime stories, Diapers, Honesty, Being called Princess, Humiliation, Hidden public.
Likes: Age play, Bladder control, Hypnosis, Submission, Minor crossdressing, Orgasm control, Edging, Public.
Dislikes: Punishments, Spankings, Bad spelling, Lines.
Limits: Lying, Family/friends, Blood/danger.

JustaBrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Leopard
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabrony View Post
Ew about the jerky things, they don't sound as fun.
At first they used to freak me out, but now I'm just like eh whatever and they make me think 'hey I'm falling asleep, okay cool.'
Old 12-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #8
Cstelle
gD Curio

I have a vague memory of having read a story about/involving hypnic jerks when I was young, but I can't remember any details. I think the story suggested that hypnic jerks are memories from when we were apes and fell off branches... Does it ring a literary bell for anyone? Could it have been some story by Kipling (whom I haven't read since mumble mumble mumble)?

I'm especially keen on hidden/semi public stuff (preferably outdoors) and I like to take selfies; I'm averse to anything unethical, illegal, harmful, painful, messy/dirty/unsanitary/icky or otherwise unpleasant.
Cstelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:46 AM   #9
An_Jon
Distinguished Member

It's so weird when it happens. It happens to me in much the same way when I get hit by a car or something in a dream. It's like your survival instincts kick in while your body is pretty much unconscious anyway. The resulting adrenaline rush makes it hard to get back to sleep for a while too.

I like talking to new people. Come and say hello if you'd like to get to know me

26 | M | UK | Bisexual | Switch | Punmaster
About Me | My Blog | BDSM Test

Come and play with me:
My AMA
My KIK - and rules on using it!

An_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
mrpropel
Truth or Dare Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstelle View Post
I have a vague memory of having read a story about/involving hypnic jerks when I was young, but I can't remember any details. I think the story suggested that hypnic jerks are memories from when we were apes and fell off branches... Does it ring a literary bell for anyone? Could it have been some story by Kipling (whom I haven't read since mumble mumble mumble)?
Yeah, I read something about that last night. Some people say that the spasms are an ancient primate reflex to the relaxation of muscles during the onset of sleep — the brain essentially misinterprets the relaxation as a sign that the sleeping primate is falling out of a tree, and causes the muscles to quickly react.

But I think it's just a theory.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
Cstelle
gD Curio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpropel View Post
Some people say that the spasms are an ancient primate reflex to the relaxation of muscles during the onset of sleep — the brain essentially misinterprets the relaxation as a sign that the sleeping primate is falling out of a tree, and causes the muscles to quickly react.

But I think it's just a theory.
Babies have something they call a Moro reflex. Wikipedia: "The Moro reflex may have developed in human evolution to help the infant cling to its mother while she carried it around all day. If the infant lost its balance, the reflex caused the infant to embrace its mother and regain its hold on the mother’s body."

Just happened to stumble on it when googling. (Kipling? Why do I keep thinking of Kipling??)

I'm especially keen on hidden/semi public stuff (preferably outdoors) and I like to take selfies; I'm averse to anything unethical, illegal, harmful, painful, messy/dirty/unsanitary/icky or otherwise unpleasant.
Cstelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
mrpropel
Truth or Dare Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstelle View Post
Babies have something they call a Moro reflex. Wikipedia: "The Moro reflex may have developed in human evolution to help the infant cling to its mother while she carried it around all day. If the infant lost its balance, the reflex caused the infant to embrace its mother and regain its hold on the mother’s body."

Just happened to stumble on it when googling. (Kipling? Why do I keep thinking of Kipling??)
Here was another one I found, "As sleep paralysis sets in, remaining daytime energy kindles and bursts out in seemingly random movements," "Hypnic jerks are the last gasps of normal daytime motor control."

Oh and Kipling the author? Only book I read of his was The Jungle Book, it was a good book :P

Old 01-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #13
BlueCookies
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Happens to me a lot when I'm flying on a plane. I'll close my eyes to get in a quick nap, but feel like I'm falling so I jerk awake. Doesn't happen when I sleep in a normal bed though.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever experienced sleep paralysis?

Likes: Semi-public, humiliation, orgasm control/denial, bondage, body writing, nipple play, teasing, messy, toothpaste, anything creative/unique
Dislikes: Pee/poop (will do pee for punishment), pain
Limits: Bananas, too public or risky, permanent, pictures (for complete strangers), family, webcam

Ask a Cookie Anything!
My Return to getDare
Check out my list of toys here!
Cookie's PM Dares (currently active)
BlueCookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
mrpropel
Truth or Dare Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCookies View Post
Happens to me a lot when I'm flying on a plane. I'll close my eyes to get in a quick nap, but feel like I'm falling so I jerk awake. Doesn't happen when I sleep in a normal bed though.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever experienced sleep paralysis?
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=175484
I Talked about on this thread awhile back,

Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #15
MLPDRACO
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpropel View Post
I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else before. Has anyone else ever waken up suddenly to a falling sensation and a strong muscle twitch just after you have fallen asleep? It happens to me sometimes and I never bothered to care enough to look into it until now. Apparently it's called a Hypnic jerk,

So I wonder, has this happened to anyone else and if so how often does it happen for you?

Thanks!
Yeah, its common. Theres a book of jack London called "Before Adam" thats starts explaining this as genetic memory of the time humans still porimitive, living on trees, sleeping on trees and ALSO falling from trees lol. So, his idea was, somehow one ancestor of ours had fell from a tree and survived that, and then he had children, and this memory was transmited throught his DNA.

but this book is old and the idea is reckless as we know, now, that the genetic modification one suffer wont be passed foward (Darwin used to think like that, "a horse who always trains to runs faster will have children will run even faster...". His children wont get anything from his training, only the capability to train).

The theory right now is that, this "falling sensation" we have is a memory, yes, but from ourselves. Someday, as baby, you fell (this is a strong sensation, no floor under you, nothing to support you, etc), or maybe as a child, while walking you fell (one less strong sensation, you falling foward, not as a hole, not like you were laid on the air, etc). Or maybe your parents liked to play with you when you were a baby, you know, get the baby throw up and get him back. Babies loves that lol.

Anyway, the memory remains and from time to time it is readed, so you get the sensation back. it is most commom to happen while you are sleping. If its a case you got hurt (like a real fell, not just a play with parents) you will mix the feelings of pain/panick with the memory, and this makes you awake scared.

Again, its just a theory. I dont know any other theory. i just know this thing is pretty commom.

I dont dare minor ages. I dont do illegal stuff.
MLPDRACO is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk