Thread: Fiction: Britain's Most Daring
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 10:31 PM   #47
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alli55 View Post
Thanks for the interesting info on Mohawk/Mohican history. The thing is, everyone over here knows the haircut as a Mohican, so you'll just have to accept that! Sorry, but that's how it is!!

As for "innit", for Tariq this is no more than a verbal 'tick', something that is quite common amongst younger people, certainly from my experience.
"A verbal 'tick'", huh? Far out.

Well, that's me, through the fourth weekly update.
I loved the concert!
I was surprised the buskers fared as well as they did; I thought they were going to have a falling out, but came the day they were all pulling in the same direction.

The cheerleaders' failure surprised me. I take it Shanumi is the player the producers edit the film to appear to be the villain. (That's a thing in reality shows over here.) I thought her idea of how to approach the challenge was brilliant, and if she'd tried it in America it probably would've worked. We're so accustomed to film crews and such over here that when some group shows up at a major sporting event and says, "Okay, Sandra Bullock needs you to 'Booo!' when so and so comes to bat, then pretend that the left fielder made an amazing catch", we just do it and hope we see ourselves in the background later. The idea of messing it up never enters our heads.

Quote:
I retake my place on the sofa, just as Phil returns and plonks himself back down next to me.
HE'S DRINKING PLONK? IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN? Oh, the huge manatee! (Yes, I understood it; just having Fun With English.)

Quote:
If the technology existed to turn nervous energy into electricity, we could power the entire National Grid from our living room!
National Grid is our power company! We had municipal power from just after WWI until the early '90s, then Niagara Mohawk (no, not Mohican; yes, named after the Falls) outbid them and got the franchise on a forty year lease. Around 2010 Niagara Mohawk (not Mohican) was bought out by National Grid. Their intent was only to own the company briefly, then sell it off to some Spanish power company, but the sale was vetoed due to Niagara Mohawk (not Mohican) being the proud possesors of three nuclear power plants. Since the Spanish company had just bought out a couple of power companies down south that also had nuclear power plants, it was ruled that if they purchased Niagara Mohawk (not Mohican) that would concentrate too great a percentage of the nuclear power on the east coast in the hands of one foreign company. As a result, we're still with National Grid… at least until the lease runs out in another fifteen years or so, at which time we may revert to municipal power.

Quote:
We get one more glimpse of the fun that the bystanders on the Harbourside are enjoying, as we see Lowri, Dylan, and Bradley immersed amongst a section of the crowd, all performing the Hokey Cokey, as Jaz belts out the instructions backed, as ever, by Mia’s keyboard playing.
And now I'm laughing again. It's "The Hokey Pokey", and it even has a song (lyrics are variable between versions):

The Hokey Pokey (by Brave Combo)

Everybody form a circle
Put your left foot in
Your left foot out
Your left foot in
And shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey
And turn yourself around

Now put your right foot in
Your right foot out
Right foot in
Then you shake it all about
And then you do the hokey pokey
Turn yourself around
That's what it's all about

You put your head in
You put your head out
Put your head in
And bang it all about
Do the hokey pokey
And turn yourself around

Let's do the hokey pokey!

Put your right hand in
Your right hand out
Your right hand in
And shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around

Now put your tongue in
And your tongue out
Tongue in
And blblblblbl!
You do the hokey pokey
Turn yourself around

You put your bottom in
Put your bottom out
Put your bottom in
You put your bottom out
Put your bottom in
You put your bottom out
Put your bottom in
You put your bottom out
Put your bottom in
You put your bottom out
Put your bottom in
You put your bottom out
Put your bottom in
You put your bottom out
Do the hokey pokey
Turn yourself about

Let's do the hokey pokey
Let's do the hokey pokey
Let's do the hokey pokey
Songwriters: Charles Macak / Charles P Macak / Larry Laprise / Taft Baker

The Hokey Cokey sounds like the sort of things a Mohican would do.

Quote:
She moves out of camera shot, as we hear the distinctive crescendo that forms the start of ‘Hi Ho Silver Lining’ by Jeff Beck. We all know the song, but it seems for a moment as if Tariq doesn’t.
I don't! I checked it out on YouTube, and it was completely new to me.
I know "Tubthumping", but didn't know that was its title (thought it was "I Get Up Again"), nor who sang it.
I'm also completely unfamiliar with that Freddie Mercury song.
"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" I DID know. I shall claim my prize now.

This was probably the best of the Weekly Updates so far. On the whole the show has been throwing shade on the interludes. I think you must have had a lot of fun writing this week; the announcers getting caught up in it probably reflected you getting caught up in it.

I'll be back Sunday to catch up on episode five.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote