Thread: Fiction: 10 days last summer
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #18
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
5) This has turned out to be a really good story, especially considering that is has NO SEX WHATSOEVER!!!
Well, my timing on that one was truly spectacular! You must've gotten a good giggle out it.

One of the things we may end up discussing after the final chapter is just why the twins are so upset. I can understand Jake's apparent reaction; he seems to be avoiding the hangout out of simple embarrassment.

The twins I'm having some difficulty with. Freya seems to be beyond embarrassed and well into mortified. I can kind out see that, as nobody wants to be caught in that sort of a pants-down situation. I was, by my sister, mother and her mother, when I was about thirteen, but you acknowledge your mistake, resolve never to be that foolish again, and get on with it. I don't blame Freya for getting caught up in her feelings and losing track of everything else, but I noticed immediately that the door hadn't been locked and thought, "She's probably going to regret that." It's nice to be right every once in a while.

Holly, though, is a complete puzzlement. She seems more angry than anything else, and I'm not seeing how anger is an appropriate reaction to this situation. If she'd also been making mooneyes at Jake, then okay, but she seemed completely indifferent to him.

She thinks Jake has 'taken advantage' of Holly, but that seems unreasonable (of course, sometimes people ARE unreasonable, and that can make for good drama). a) Freya was on top, so she wasn't being taken against her will; b) Holly had known for days — both by word and by deed — that Freya was sweet on Jake; and c) at least in America, it's acknowledged that in a relationship between teens of similar age in which violence or threats of violence are not involved, the power in the relationship lies with the girl.

(This isn't just my perception, though it may be an age-related observation. Back when I was at university I had several long conversations with a female student half again my age who had a daughter not greatly younger than me, and within the past decade a similar series of talks with my best friend, who's a woman four years older than me with twin daughter nearing forty along with two sons close to that age. The woman back in college said, "Yes, but we don't like to talk about it," and my friend just said, "Of course, everybody knows that." All three of us were born from 1950 to 1960, and maybe the dynamic is different now, but it wasn't a quarter of a century ago when my friends daughters were in their teens.)

Where was I? Oh, yes. Holly's reaction to Freya is even more puzzling to me than her reaction to Jake. It reads to me like a combination of feeling angry and betrayed — and probably angry BECAUSE she feels betrayed. Why? What's Freya done to her? Maybe my failure to relate is due to not having any close, supportive relationships when I was her age. I've never had a twin, and although my sister and I were only a year apart and forced to spend an inordinate amount of time together growing up (out in the country with no near neighbors), our relationship was much more competitive than supportive. To put it bluntly, until we went off to high school we spent most of our time at daggers drawn.

Is this because Freya had an important experience without sharing it with Holly? Unlikely, as did Holly expect that either of them would lose their virginity (I'm assuming!) with the other in the room? As the King of Siam says in "The King and I", "It is… a puzzlement!"
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote