Thread: Fiction: The Office Strip
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
John332
getDare Sweetheart

I kept my head down for a while longer, partially working on my timesheet and partially trying to google a map of our building, what other companies were in it and look at the satellite images to see if there was a way onto the roof.

All I got was that the company on the top floor (which I really hoped was the fifth floor - it's funny how little details go missing when you're really stressed) was an advertising agency. I couldn't find anything else. I had no idea if advertising agencies worked late, but I really hoped I could find a way up which didn't involve going through their offices - which might be locked anyway.

At about 7, Linda got up to go home

"You're really serious about this report," she said with a smile

"Unfortunately yes," I said

"Well, if it can wait until tomorrow morning, we can go for a drink?" she said "You always work so hard - you should relax more."

"How about tomorrow?" I said. I had no idea if this was a 'being nice to the loner' drink or a 'let's go out drink'

"Ok," she said. "I'll hold you to that. Get that report finished!"

She left the office, holding the door open for someone else to come in, who banged around a bit.

The cleaners - I breathed a sign of relief.

I went to make another cup of tea, taking a quick look around the other areas of the office. There was no-one in the HR and payroll team still around. I went to the kitchen and put the kettle on, coming out and wandering around aimlessly as it boiled, saying hello to the cleaners.

There were two guys in IT still there who looked like they were using the office computers to do online gaming, and one girl still working in - well, I'm not sure which team she was in. I made tea and went back to my desk. The cleaners came around and finished up in my area. I looked around and slipped my shoes off at my desk, curling my toes in the carpet. Even that felt somehow naughty and unusual. I'd drunk my tea too quickly and went back to the toilet to pee, shoes off, feeling a bit exposed and hoping no-one would see. It's odd how something so simple - like shoes - could make you feel at risk if you don't wear them. I came back to my chair, undetected, feeling victorious.
John332 is offline   Reply With Quote