Thread: Fiction: DARE! The Hidden Power
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
sarahsarah
getDare Sweetheart

Default DARE! The Hidden Power

Please note that this is very different to my other stories on this site.
It will be a slightly slow build into what I hope is a beautiful crescendo and resemble more of a novella. This story may also contain some dark themes in the future so bear this in mind if it isn't to your taste.

Please provide feedback if you would like me to continue this.

This story is based off of the film 'Nerve'. The plot will follow a similar early development before taking a route of its own. Enjoy

Chapter 1

In 2028, a power shift occurred in a way that nobody would have ever anticipated. A city transformed in a desire to be relevant thrown into chaos, based on the hopes and desires of a lone few.

It’s often discussed where the true power lies in the world. Some argue that it lies with the rich but they’d be wrong. The rich are limited by that which cannot be purchased by wealth, they are limited through knowledge and fame. Wealth comes with a price of its own. Others believe that power comes with the politicians, but again they’d be wrong. Politicians are elected by the public and that means they never have true power. History proves that even dictatorships and royalty are weak. They can be taken down swiftly; a target glowing on their back.

So where does the real power lie? Nobody truly knows, because the true power lies where the weak are the same as the strong, those with nothing are the same as those with everything, where all voices have a say, but no targets are created. Nobody knows where true power lies... because true power is anonymous.

Liv stared at her screen with the same anxiety as she had for the last thirty minutes. Her dream lay waiting on that screen, finally a scholarship offer into the arts college she’d desired for the last three years. The large accept button flashing at the bottom of the email; all she had to do was reach forward and tap that box with her finger, the sensor would read her fingerprint and she would be registered.

Instead she selected the reply button and began to type. ‘To whomever it may concern, I am sorry to confirm that I will not be able to accept your offer of scholarship for the class of 2032. This is because...’ How could she finish that sentence. ‘Because I’m a spineless coward who can’t tell my mother who she really feels about life and I am a pathetic skbnsotnbsobtn’, Liv typed ferociously before slamming her face down into her desk, her blond hair flowing down onto the keyboard as her hands stretched out in frustration.

Liv looked up, and stared at her hands. The pink tips on her fingernails were still glistening from when her mother had done them only an hour ago. How could she tell her that her little girl wanted to abandon her for good. She looked behind the email and saw she had a new FlowShine alert, the latest social media craze. Normally she would have ignored it, but seeing the name made her heart flutter. JD Robertson had mentioned her in a post. Frantically she selected the notification.

‘Thanks for the great photo, totally gonna look a stud on my profiles with this one – With Liv Finn.’

Liv stared at her camera work. It really was beautiful, really capturing the 3D landscape background. She had a talent for photography, which had led to her offer. Her FacePhone suddenly started to buzz, displaying the name ‘Sonya Bliss.’ Liv quickly answered the phone and was greeted by the welcoming face of her best friend. “Hey babes, been stalking JD again?” Sonya joked.

“No, I’ve just been reading the news,” Liv lied, quickly closing the FlowShine page and bringing up a base news website. She saw Sonya’s curly red hair flick back to reveal a smirk. The girl was so confident in everything she did, never hesitating and never doubting her own ability. Liv often spent her time in Sonya’s shadow, but it meant she often got included in a way that she probably wouldn’t be without her friend. Sonya could probably easily dump her for a cooler crowd, but the two had been close for years and that had continued into senior year.

“Whatever biatch, I know you’ve never read the news. You know you just need to ask him right. Constantly taking photos from afar is gonna get you nowhere in life,” Sonya goaded.
“Shut up, it isn’t like that. Why the hell would he be interested in me anyway.”
“Because you’re goddamn fucking hot. Just let your hair down for once, literally. Stop tying it up and put on something a little less, noughties nerd,” Sonya replied.
“If you say so, but you know that isn’t me,” Liv replied and it was true. She didn’t like to stand out and be leered at, and it didn’t matter what Sonya was saying, she didn’t see that sexy body.
“Please tell me you’re at least coming to the game though?” Sonya asked.
Liv sighed. “Yeah, I have to be. I agreed to take photos for the school paper as usual. They want big headline shots for the end of year championship celebration.”
“Great, because you won’t want to miss it,” Sonya stated.

‘Of course not,’ Liv thought. Sonya was cheerleader captain so she probably had something big planned for the championship game that she assumed would blow the roof off. Liv never understood cheer leading as a skill. She got that it took some talent, but for the most part it seemed a knock off of actual dancing. But non-the-less it was what Sonya wanted to do, so as a good friend she had to support it.

“So.... Liv.... Have you signed up for ‘Dare’ yet?” Sonya teased.
“What the hell is dare?” Liv asked.
“How haven’t you heard of it. It’s all everyone is talking about. It’s a dark net game challenge that’s all over the internet. You have to be a viewer for me. Hang on let me send you a video.”

A link suddenly popped up on Liv’s screen and she quickly clicked on it. A dark video with flashing lights started to play. Huge dollar signs flew around as a booming voiceover began. ‘Do you consider yourself daring? Do you believe you can do what others can’t? Maybe you have what it takes to become a Contender. Make big money by completing challenges set for you by viewers or if you just want to watch become a viewer yourself for just $18 a day. Challenges are taking place constantly for the next week and even right now. There are only two ways to lose, Bail or Fail. Earn your way to the top of our money and viewers boards and become the final two and you’ll play in our big money finale. Alternatively support those who want to win your hearts. So the question is, Do you DARE?!’ Images flashed of crazy stunts, silly acts, blue pill red pill and more money.

The video cut to black and then a screen flashed up with two large boxes. One read CONTENDER and the other VIEWER. “So Liv, are you going to be a viewer for me or not?”
“You’ve seriously signed up for this shit?”
“Hell yeah, it’s already making people famous and this could be my rocket ship to the top. So you going to sign up and support me or what?”

“OLIVIA!”
“Sorry, I’ve got to go, my mother is calling. I’ll see you at the game and maybe sign up when I get back afterwards,” Liv stated and quickly hung up before running out the room.

“Hey mother, what’s up?” Liv asked as she walked into the room.
“Dinner’s ready,” her mother stated as she piled a large portion of lasagna onto a plate and handed it to Liv. Liv eyed up the monster portion. Her mother always did enough food to feed about six despite it just being the two of them at the moment. Her Father would be back in about two months but was currently away on duty.
“Thanks mother,” Liv said, taking the plate and sitting at the kitchen table. She quickly dug into the dish as her mother timidly started on her own portion.

“I was thinking Liv, I’m so proud of you right now. You’ve been successful in your exams, you’ve been accepted into a local school, and although I can’t really afford the accommodation costs, it means you can be my college roommate instead,” her mother said dreamily.
“On that mom, what if we possibly put this place up as a bed and breakfast. We could clear out my brother’s room finally and then we could make enough money for me to go to college dorms. It’ll give you some space as well,” Liv suggested.
“I don’t want space! I just want to be close to you, especially after Tommy!” her mother said, voice rising.
Liv sighed. “It’s been two years that he’s been gone now mother. Isn’t it finally time to move past it. He isn’t going to come back, he can’t come back,” she retaliated, tears forming in her eye.

It was two years ago that the accident happened. We say an accident although it was more an act of outright stupidity. Tommy had always been into his cars and eventually it had led to the unthinkable. A drag race through the tunnels of the city as he had many times before, but a mistake had meant he didn’t come home that time. Since then her mother had kept her ridiculously close, trying to keep her away from any harm.

On that comment her mother disappeared upstairs with her plate of food, leaving Liv to dwell in silence. She picked up her Swipe (Basically a modern phone, similar size to a playing card which also recorded on command) and called her friend Sam to come and collect her. Since Tommy’s passing, she had never learned to drive, she just couldn’t stomach it. An hour later and she was stood in the male locker room.

The unusual nature of the situation had washed away over time and now seeing partially naked men everywhere didn’t phase her. For the most part she felt like a ghost, even with Sam beside her. They completely ignored her presence in the room as she went about her business, taking team photos that may be useful for bigging up the propaganda on campus.

Her eyes couldn’t help but gaze in the direction of JD though, a slightly larger than necessary sample of the photos being of his shirtless body. His rippling 6 pack on the dark shin with that pure cockiness, which passed as charm in the right way. Over 6 foot and all hunk, she would love to tell him how she felt and dive into a kiss but she just felt to shy and scared of rejection. She snapped one more photo of his smile as it was directed her way and went back to trying to capture team spirit.

The music blarted out and the team started the charge. Liv stumbled backwards trying to capture photos as the team ran out onto the pitch. She turned once they had all passed and watched as the cheerleaders formed their signature pyramid formation. She watched Sonya pose in front for the team. Liv caught her eye and she came running over. “So glad you made it Liv, it’ll be a night to remember.”

She turned to the crowd and Liv saw Chevon waiting with what looked like Sonya’s Swipe. Sonya went running towards her and Liv caught a glimpse of what she said. “Hello viewers, this is for you babes, keep watching and get me to the top.” Sonya blew a kiss to the camera and ran back to the cheerleaders.

The dance continued for about a minute, with Liv continuing to take her usual team spirit photos, and only as the music hit a crescendo did the crowd instantly silence. Sonya, spinning into a handstand, caused her skirt to drop down and reveal what everyone else could see for themselves. There was nothing on underneath. Sonya had just revealed her entire body to the team, the coaches, the crowd and Liv’s camera.

Finally Sonya fell back onto her feet, covering herself up. Gasps still echoed around the crowd. Liv looked into the stands and saw Chevon giving a big thumbs up. Written on Sonya’s Swipe were two large bold words: ‘DARE COMPLETE.’

Sorority Sisters by Blood -- Complete
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=251666
Reclamation -- Sequel Ongoing

http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=263455

Lien's Lesbian Submission -- Ongoing Spinoff
https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=342269

Binding Connections -- Complete
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=232216

Strapon contest with consequences -- Unfinished
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=105594

Last edited by sarahsarah; 07-04-2017 at 09:24 AM.
sarahsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to sarahsarah for this post: