View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #21
sciencegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro View Post
  1. So I guess you're into science?
    Very much so.

2. What kind of science?
    I really enjoy the natural sciences. I wanted to be a geologist for many years, but decided against it by high school. After that I studied biology, specializing in evolution and ecology. I loved studying about ecology, seeing how organisms interact with their enviornment and how it shapes them, as well as how they shape it. The thing that always fascinated me the most is how living beings interact with their environment. And the more extreme the environment, the more I cared. The deep-sea is my absolute favorite place on earth. It's such a weird, other-wordly place, it just captures my attention. I also have always been fascinated by disease spread. I wanted to be an epidemiologist, but I did not want to go to medical school, so that was out. Tracking the spread of an outbreak was so neat to me, as it combined data analytics with biology.

I've always been interested in math and statistics, so it was a somewhat unorthodox, but a much welcomed change for me. I just like learning, and science is always growing, always changing, with new stuff to discover every day. It's exciting. I was very fortunate to have parents and teachers that encouraged my learning, and I think that helped to cultivate my interest in science. I love asking "why". Why does something work like that? Are there factors that influence it? What if I changed this one component, would it still work the same way? Asking questions and learning as I go is a big part of who I am. I am never afraid to try something, even if it's a catastrophics failure. I simply look at what failed and if there is something that can be changed to make it more successful. That's part of the fun

3. Have you heard of the book The Elegant Universe? If yes, what do you think?
    I have, though I haven't read it in over a decade. Brain Greene is an excellent author. He's very good at taking a very technical subject and presenting it in a way that is palatable for a general audience. It's something that I've always admired.

4. Do you think the universe is infinite?
    Hmm, I have never really given it much thought. It seems logical to call it infinite since we cannot get a true measure of the universe. I like to think that it is, but I'll leave that to a astrophysicist to decide.

5. Do you think human stupidity is?
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but I'll take it to mean what do I think human stupidity is. To me, it is sort of rooted in our own arrogance and ignorance. A lot of times we don't know something or incorrectly assume something simply because we have not thought of other possible explanations (ignorance) or because we choose to ignore those other possibilities because we don't like them/they aren't as good as our theory (arrogance).

6. What is the first thing you think of when I say string?
    String theory just because of word association, but colored yarn as an image. I'm not all that well-versed when it comes to physics, so I don't know a great deal about string theory itself.

7. Did I bore you with these non-kinky questions, especially if you're not into science at all?
You didn't bore me at all. Even if I weren't into science, I appreciate you taking the time to ask