Thread: Fiction: 10 days last summer
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #23
Curtis

Well now, isn't THIS interesting. I'm so unacustomed to smart phones (all I have is a landline) that taking a picture never ocurred to me.

Freya using her phone to call Caitlyn while Caitlyn was being beaten just confused me. Did she think the phone dinging would interrupt the father? I thought Freya was going to call her father, or Jenny (probably not) or Holly to come to Caitlyn's place after she rejected running home to fetch her father. I would've called everyone I knew in the hopes that one of them would get there in time to witness. Can smartphones do that? Like a 'reply all' feature for phoning or texting?

I was in a not-really-similar situation thirty years ago when I was on vacation at my father's parent's place. I went for a walk with my youngest cousin, who proceeded to tell me stories about going to parties with her older brother and doing cocaine. She was 15 and he was 21 and dishonorably discharged from the navy. (He's since gotten married for the second time, and his wife has straightened him around marvelously.) On our way home I told my parents and older sister the tale, and they encouraged me to write a letter to my cousins' mother, which was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Well, my cousin didn't speak to me for about three years, and she got arrested with her boyfriend for breaking into 150 cars one weekend, but eventually she gave up cocaine for tobacco (and got cancer, so I don't know if I did her any favors) and started talking to me again, and now it's like she doesn't remember that it happened.

As I said, not really similar, but it did involve a moral dilemna about telling secrets.

And, totally off the topic, but where did the 'Thanks' button go? I used it once in someone else's story thread last night, then when I wanted it a second time it had vanished, and now it's still gone!
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote