View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #12
RiskyFlame
Longtime User

Hypothetical
How are you so sure that someone is pretending to be a girl? You can catch them when the user makes a mistake but how often does that happen? The answer is almost never. You can use your hypothetical to argue that getDare might be unsafe due to lack of moderator's actions but if the hypothetical isn't realistic, it has no value.

Effort v. results
If moderators choose to ban people who pretend to be a girl with malicious intent, how does the moderator proof that the user is of that sort? There is only a limited set of tools to find out if the user is pretending to be the other sex but to be pretty sure of this, the moderator might be spending 20 á 30 minutes checking data. Hurray, getDare is protected! And then the banned user creates a new account in a couple of minutes and are anonymous again (if they know how).

If you believe someone has malicious intents, report the person with proof! Arguing that pretend girls might blackmail other people into paying them just because you saw it happen once on the news is a bit far fetched. This is the same as saying that there are hackers on the internet putting ransomware on people's computers so we must delete all TeamViewer and device control threads on getDare because it can be dangerous. Besides, I don't think that pretend girls blackmailing a man ever happened on getDare and if it did happen, not more than a couple of times. And weeding out thousands of pretend girls just to prevent such people from harming other users goes a bit too far and is a waste of time.

Keep in mind that the time/ effort you put into something is the same time/ effort you will get back from someone. So do your research on someone and don't just follow your dick because no research means taking a higher risk.

Pro banning
That said, I would ban pretend girls. If you know what to look for combined with a gut feeling, they are pretty easy to spot. The only problem is that you will never know for sure. In about 40% of the cases (from experience), it really was a pretend girl. I actually wrote a thread on it about two years ago but there were quite a few people who disagreed with me. At the very least, I can say it worked for me.

To end my post, I'd like to say that most men who use a female account originally registered themselves on getDare as with a male account. This means that they have multiple accounts which is (apparently) against the rules. So I do find it peculiar that the moderators don't bother to at least take a closer a look at accounts that are suspicious to pretending to be a different sex or are reported for a similar reason.

I've only really liked a handful of people in my life,
and you've been two of them.

—Hans Axgil—

Last edited by RiskyFlame; 01-24-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: headers because it's along post