Thread: Disappointed
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
The Natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellybell View Post

I think, sometimes, people look down on what mods do so much because they often only see the bad side of them, when they have to deal with the rule breakers and people who are just making stuff less fun. They aren't evil creatures though (waits for smartass comment), they are just regular users that got a lot of responsiblity put on their shoulders. Considering the large amount of stupid that comes on here sometimes, you can't blame them for being less than polite. Like it has been said before, got to cut them a little slack, they're only human.

A guest speaker for my Administration of Criminal Justice class once said something very similar.

"You don't invite the police to your birthday parties, graduation parties, baby showers, or any kind of good event. You call them when you need them, and you call them only when something bad happens. You don't dial 911 to ask the operator how their day is going or how their wife and kids are doing; you dial 911 because someone is hurt, dying, or in danger. They're there to keep the peace, and be the face of justice, and that's all you see of them."

It's similar in this situation. All the public sees of moderators is banning certain users and trashing certain posts. Then again, it's their job, it's their responsibility; and just like police officers, they deal with a lot of shit as Nelly more politely stated.

I know it seems stupid comparing police officers to the moderators of GetDare; Moderators carry banhammers, police carry firearms. It doesn't really compare... but the principle is the same. Respect them, don't piss them off, and they should respect you too.

"Strength does not come from a physical capacity, but from an indomitable will." -Ghandi