Thread: Fiction: Britain's Most Daring
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #21
alli55

Default Weekly Update

The day after last week’s Britain’s Most Daring, Maddie was at Stacie’s all day. Lissie wanted to go as well, but her friend, Rosie, was having a pamper party for her birthday that afternoon, and Lissie was obliged to go to that, which she did with very mixed feelings. As it turned out, the reality for both girls didn’t match the expectation. Maddie came back in a fairly downbeat mood, having struggled to get to grips with the assignment she and Stacie had been given to complete over the Easter holidays; that’s the Easter holidays they’d spent the last fortnight enjoying, whilst ignoring the assignment; the same Easter holidays that ended that day. By contrast, Lissie came back having had a wonderful time at the pamper party. The girls had been given instructions on how to apply make-up properly by a professional make-up artist, and had had their nails done professionally, and generally been, well, pampered!

Maddie went round to Stacie’s after school every evening, and made sure she stayed until it was time for dinner. I knew what her game was! She was hoping Gemma would be there, so that she could speak to her new hero! Lissie tried her best to tag along, but Maddie and Stacie always managed to avoid her somehow, so she ended up coming home frustrated each afternoon.

Not that Lissie was missing much! Maddie didn’t see Gemma until Wednesday evening, and even then, Gemma was too busy trying to organise her next dare to spend much time with Stacie and Maddie. But she did learn that Gemma was going to do her dare on Friday. Armed with that information, Lissie made an extra effort to latch on to Stacie and Maddie, but once again she was thwarted, by her form tutor of all people. He had asked her to stop by his room at the end of school to talk through an issue with her option choices, and by the time she’d got out, Maddie and Stacie were long gone.

“What was the problem with your options?” I asked her, when she grumbled about her form tutor causing her to miss out on going to Stacie’s.

“Oh, I dunno,” she replied, “something about them being incompatible or something!”

“Did you get it sorted?”

“I dunno, I think so, maybe!”

“Well, either you did or you didn’t!” I told her. “Which is it?”

“Yeah, I probably did, I expect!” she replied, clearly not remotely interested in continuing the conversation on this particular topic.

“Lissie, it’s important, you know!” I pointed out.

“Yeah, I know,” she acknowledged, “but he’s an idiot, so he’ll probably mess it all up, anyway!”

“I know he’s an idiot!” I replied. “That’s why it’s important you make sure you’ve got it sorted out properly, and you’re happy with what options you’re doing! You don’t want to find yourself doing subjects you didn’t want to do, just because you couldn’t be bothered to make sure he hasn’t messed it all up, do you?”

She looked at me with a bored expression that gradually morphed into one of concern as I pressed home the importance of getting this right.

“You’re right, Mam!” she said, earnestly, when I’d finished. “I’ll go and see the head of year on Monday. It’s too important to leave it to my dippy form tutor!”

“Okay,” I instructed, “you just make sure you do!”

Lissie was busy swapping messages and pictures with her friends on WhatsApp, when Maddie came crashing into the living room, shortly before dinner. To say she appeared excited would be something of an understatement!

“Oh my God!” she cried, bouncing from foot to foot, as she popped the cork that had been keeping her news bottled up. “You are not going to believe what Gemma has done!”

“What?” Lissie asked eagerly, abandoning WhatsApp and her friends in an instant.

“I can’t tell you!” Maddie replied.

“Yes, you can!” Lissie urged.

“No, I can’t!” Maddie insisted.

“You can!” Lissie asserted. “You really can!”

“No, I’m not allowed!” Maddie explained. “Gemma made me promise! It’s something to do with the contract she signed with the TV people.”

“Well, if that’s the case,” I told Maddie sternly, “why did you come bursting in here telling us that we wouldn’t believe what she’s done?”

Maddie realised how unfair of her it had been to do that. “Sorry,” she said, “but I couldn’t help it! It was like the words were trying to burst out of me!”

“Well, you need to make it up to your sister, somehow!” I told her.

She looked blankly at me. “How’m I supposed to do that?”

“What are you doing tomorrow?” I asked.

“Nothing much, just hanging out with Stacie,” she replied. “We’ll probably go up town or something.”

“Right, well cancel that!” I instructed. “We’ll have a family day out, instead! Lissie can choose where we go!”

“Okay, that’s fair!” Maddie conceded.

I smiled. It always gives me great pleasure when my girls demonstrate the consideration for others that I have tried to instil in them since they were small.

Lissie, meanwhile, had returned to her phone, and was once more engrossed in some bizarre quiz thing that she kept pestering everyone to complete.

“Lissie!” I called to my younger daughter. She looked up from her phone, as I continued, “We’re having a family day out tomorrow! Where do you want to go?”

“I don’t mind; wherever!”

“No,” I corrected, “it’s your choice; you decide where we go. It’s Maddie’s way of saying sorry for messing with your emotions just now!”

Maddie smiled her confirmation of this fact, and whispered to me, “I bet she says Ocean Beach!”

Incredibly, in the 10 seconds it had taken me to finish my sentence, Lissie’s attention had drifted back to her phone and that wretched quiz!

“So, Lissie!” I called.

“What?” she said, without even looking up from her phone this time.

“Where d’you want to go tomorrow?”

“I don’t mind!” she repeated.

My God, she could be frustrating sometimes!

“Lissie! Put your phone down a minute and choose!”

Jolted by the sharpness of my tone, she looked up. Her eyes went from Maddie to me and a smile formed on her lips.

“I really get to choose wherever I want to go?” she checked.

“Yes, within reason,” I qualified. “Obviously, it’s got to be do-able in a day!”

“It is!” she confirmed.

“So?” I questioned.

“Ocean Beach!” she revealed.

“Told you!” Maddie said, smugly.

Ocean Beach Pleasure Park is Lissie’s favourite destination, so it was no surprise to any of us that she’d chosen it. The rest of us all like going there, just not as much as Lissie does!

After a fun day out, we stopped for a KFC, before making sure we were back home in plenty of time for Britain’s Most Daring.
alli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to alli55 for this post: