View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
Joan Sky
Distinguished Member

Caution! Definitely Contains Spoilers!

Blood, Sweat, and Tears are not enough by DHK-eh review:

I liked the story. The author wrote it well, and although there were some errors throughout, they weren’t major or too distracting enough to detract from the story. The author did a good job transporting you into another world. I liked his style of writing and his descriptions. I smirked when Fallon was trying to move the sleeping guy's arm with the power of her mind, and liked when Kira was giving Fallon a clue by gently caressing her hair, silently communicating her to go deeper.

I don’t like the world they lived in. I liked the personalities of the main characters. Oz was the way he was because he grew up in that society, but he had a good heart and his eyes were opened by Fallon and then Kira; a realization that didn’t last long for any of them.
That was a surprise. Creative writing. Kudos for that.

I saw a part of myself in all of them. I saw part of that world in this world, not to that extreme…
It just reminded me of what’s not readily accepted in the world, and of paradigms big, small, and similar, rooted in closed-mindeness.

I liked how Fallon had held out as long as she could, and how she spoke her mind once in a while - like when she told that guy to go use the restroom instead, and telling Oz basically “So what, do you want a cookie?” She hadn't totally given up, and she truly appreciated Kira.
I liked how she was smart. How she maintained her appearance just enough but not too much. Her thoughts on how beautiful wasn’t a compliment in that world, not from them.
I liked Oz’s and her courage at the end. I like how she thought of the opportunity in the distraction in the distance, the windshield, and in how she used her weight that one moment during the scuffle.

I liked how Kira had the inner strength and courage to always fight back no matter what, even though it almost killed her at times and eventually did. That is rare.

I liked the thoughts and dreams of both of the girls. I am happy that a part of Kira’s was actualized, if only for a brief moment near the end. I know it wasn't close to the setting she wanted, but it happened. It seemed like they were starting before they ended. I wish Fallon could dream of more than just beautiful ceilings. I wish she was free to imagine what she desired and eventually realize it someday.

I like happy endings. I can imagine an ending where Oz keeps Fallon and Kira permanently after high school. The author mentions that possibility in the beginning of the story, and they are seniors after all. He can let them know of his plans and they can all try to stay out trouble until then (Fake it till you make it, baby). He will have his own place with beautiful ceilings that change each month with new pictures... And the rest is "a new story" for another time.

Last edited by Joan Sky; 02-21-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Joan Sky is offline   Reply With Quote