getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Suggestion Zone (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   'Like' button? (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=83822)

yours_slave 08-06-2011 05:58 AM

'Like' button?

How about a like button in each post, just like in Facebook? In addition to QR, Quote and Multi-quote, little thumbs up and/or thumbs down image buttons at the corner. What other think about that idea? :) It's like the 'thanks' button in the original thread starter post.

initialrush 08-06-2011 06:27 AM

I was actually thinking exactly the same thing the other day. Although im not sure I like the idea of copying facebook...Maybe a good idea would be to give it a kinky name instead.

Although I do think having a feature like that would possibly decrease user discussions/participation somewhat. Instead of commenting and adding something to the thread people may just hit the hypothetical "like" button.

Not sure. It has good and bad points :)

Ninjota 08-06-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by initialrush (Post 511796)
I was actually thinking exactly the same thing the other day. Although im not sure I like the idea of copying facebook...Maybe a good idea would be to give it a kinky name instead.

Although I do think having a feature like that would possibly decrease user discussions/participation somewhat. Instead of commenting and adding something to the thread people may just hit the hypothetical "like" button.

Not sure. It has good and bad points :)

Something kinkier so like, instead of getting "thanks" you get "spanks"? :P

But, i had though about this idea before as well, im not too sure its the best idea because like said, some people will just hit the like button instead of posting.

And if something does get implimented like this it has to be called "lokes" not "likes"

I.e. Manbearpig Lokes this post.

17 users LOKE this post.

slave1987 08-06-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yours_slave (Post 511778)
How about a like button in each post, just like in Facebook? In addition to QR, Quote and Multi-quote, little thumbs up and/or thumbs down image buttons at the corner. What other think about that idea? :) It's like the 'thanks' button in the original thread starter post.

Like button would be ok, but I think with both positive and negative buttons you would get people disliking the post just because they don't agree with it.

yours_slave 08-06-2011 08:42 AM

Me too was thinking about that long time ago. lol But today only I actually posted it as a suggestion.

First I was thinking about 'Good' and 'Bad' buttons on the user profiles so other users can rate the users. But later I think it would cause harm and the getDare staff would not like that idea. What do you think?

Then I thought about having a mechanism to put likes on posts. It would not create problems right? ;)

I do not think it's 'copying' from Facebook. Zuckerburg didn't invent that idea. lol. It's an idea almost all the popular sites are using. See YouTube for example.

CollaredBlondie 08-06-2011 08:54 AM

Um... We have the thanks button for this EXACT same purpose. We really don't need anything else.

yours_slave 08-06-2011 09:40 AM

English is not my first language. Sorry for confusion

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollaredBlondie (Post 511901)
Um... We have the thanks button for this EXACT same purpose. We really don't need anything else.

Did you read the whole thing? If so, and if you do not understand it, I apologize for not conveying the idea in English. I said, likes buttons for replies and comments on a original thread. Not the original thread it self. Do you have a Facebook account? If so, have a look at that users can put likes on the comments too in addition to the original post.

Slenderman - Doctor 08-06-2011 02:06 PM

When you 'like' anything off Facebook, it links to your Facebook profile.

I don't want kinky-named getDare threads showing up on my Facebook thanks :eek::D

hornyj 08-06-2011 02:55 PM

on another forum I'm on they have what they call 'The Reputation System' where by they have a little icon at the bottom of every post that lets you upvote or downvote it. Now you may think well surely thats bad because people will just downvote loads on people the don't like's posts but the rule is you can only have one downvote a day, which seems to work effectively. Also you are limited to 10 upvotes a day so people cant do the opposite and go crazy!

I suppose an addition to this could also be that you can only downvote a post once so that you cant go back to it each day and downvote it because you don't like that paricular user.

I think something like this would be a good addition but to be honest it's not needed for the site.

erick92 08-06-2011 04:43 PM

I think with the "Thanks" feature along with thread rating there's not much of a need for a "like" button.

Slenderman - Doctor 08-06-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickj92 (Post 512128)
I think with the "Thanks" feature along with thread rating there's not much of a need for a "like" button.

This.

And to be honest, it's rare that you see the Thanks feature being used anyway. If it was massively popular and well-used, maybe.

yours_slave 08-06-2011 08:22 PM

It's not linked to Facebook

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor (Post 512069)
When you 'like' anything off Facebook, it links to your Facebook profile.

I don't want kinky-named getDare threads showing up on my Facebook thanks :eek::D

No I didn't even dream of that. LOL

I mean just a 'like' button specially designed for the getDare. It does not linked to any other networks. It uses only here.

yours_slave 08-06-2011 08:42 PM

There will be a like button for reply 'posts' too

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickj92 (Post 512128)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor (Post 512132)
This.

And to be honest, it's rare that you see the Thanks feature being used anyway. If it was massively popular and well-used, maybe.

No no no no. Again you got it wrong. Is my English that bad? :(

I understand that 'thanks' feature does the same things and there is also a rating mechanism too. That's cool. But what I'm asking is, when a person start a new thread, other peoples are beginning to commenting on it. Is there anyway to rate those 'comment' posts?

For example, let's say Me, Mr. Sexy time and CB likes the Doctors post here. i.e.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor (Post 512132)
This.

If we 3 put likes on that comment, there will be a link appearing in somewhere in that post saying 3 people likes this or something like that. When a user get the mouse pointer over that link, a tool tip appears saying, 'Yours slave, Mr. Sexy time and CollaredBlondie likes this"

Got it now? :D Sorry for the confusion :(

potter1harry 08-06-2011 08:44 PM

i got it and i like the idea

slave1987 08-07-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hornyj (Post 512089)
on another forum I'm on they have what they call 'The Reputation System' where by they have a little icon at the bottom of every post that lets you upvote or downvote it. Now you may think well surely thats bad because people will just downvote loads on people the don't like's posts but the rule is you can only have one downvote a day, which seems to work effectively. Also you are limited to 10 upvotes a day so people cant do the opposite and go crazy!

I suppose an addition to this could also be that you can only downvote a post once so that you cant go back to it each day and downvote it because you don't like that paricular user.

I think something like this would be a good addition but to be honest it's not needed for the site.

In bold is exactly what happened when this site had a rep system and people kept bitching and moaning about it, saying they were being victimised and picked on, until it was removed.